MT. PLEASANT HIGH FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!

Guest goinggoing

Guest pntherpride3

Enought about Bassham. I am sick of hearing about Bassham. He uses all the same plays that Dugger used, the only difference is he mixes them up a little better. Bassham is only as good as his help. Bassham is no better than Dugger. Do you honestly think Wolvar is going to hire someone he can't control in some way.It will take the heart of each player, parent, and member of the MPHS staff to turn the program around. Bassham is as much into the politics as anyone else. Last year when he was going out the best lineman award, he gave it to the wrong student. Rodrick should have gotten that award, he deserved and EARNED it. He also gave an award for running back, again to the wrong person, how can someone get an award and miss 3 or 4 games. Politics came into play, or should I say, to keep parents happy and pacified.

The coach that was named from Lewis County. Some parents and players will not like him. He is strict, there will be no back talk from the players. Discipline and respect is something that has been lacking at MPHS for a long time. They say 2 coaches at Lewis County are the toughest, he is one and Moorehead is the other.

Good Luck to the Tigers. I would like to see them do better than they have in he past.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be one of the transfers to Lewis County. The tough coach you are referring to is whom? There have been several names mentioned from Lewis County on this thread. Is it Spivey, Watkins, Hill, or another? Do you know if they have met with Wolaver yet? Who, as a former player, do you feel would be the best fit at MPHS?

Isn't it ironic? Supposedly Sharp "steals" players from MPHS, now MPHS may "steal" a coach from Sharp.

Is there anyone on the inside who knows who will be interviewed?

When will or have they started the interview process? I know The guy from Perry has met with the Principal hs anyone else.

Why do the Jr High Coach and Principal not get along?

Would a guy from one of the other Region Schools actually leave than coach against his old school. (Someone hs mentioned Wayne County or Collinwood assistants)

All of this debate and talk about the principal and former assistant coaches is probably driving away many good qualified applicants because no one really wants to coach in a place where the parents run off coaches or where the people are so divided against the principal and former coach. I know the people of Mt. Pleasant and I know there is talent in that part of the county, but you guys are crazy if you think that the principal is going to hire the man you guys want. I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'll bet you they will hire someone from Spring Hill, Columbia, or Lewis County! You guys are just hurting your cause with all of this arguing back and forth.

First of all my name is spelled, "Caesar."

Second, I worked at Columbia Central several years ago.

Third, coaches shouldn't bow down to every parent who wants to complain! Coaches are hired to coach football and they don't like to hear thousands of complaints by parents. Most of us respect all parent's views, but we are hired to coach football and we are responsible to the high school principal who hires us. All complaints must be directed to the principals so he can disseminate between the bone fide complaints and those who are simply mad or upset.

Forth, I am not kin to anyone in Mt. Pleasant, but I do have some friends in that part of the county.

All I'm trying to say is you are hurting your cause with all of your negative rhetoric. I talk to coaches all of the time across Middle Tennessee and I can assure you most coaches don't want to jump into a hornet's nest and that is just what you seem to be describing! :rolleyes:

The problems with our football team in 2001 and 2002 were people were in the wrong positions. People playing LBs should've been corners and people playing defensive end should have been linebackers, and people playing linebacker should have been defensive tackles and defensive ends. Not only that though: At practice our blocking wasn't full speed all the time, and the O-line didn't even have any check offs on the blocking schemes. Somtimes the O-line has to adjust to the Defense that wasn't practiced enough. The O-line didn't practice blocking different fronts enough at full speed, and 10 PLAYERS ON OFFENSE SHOULD BE BLOCKING, NOT JUST 2 OR 3 OR EVEN 8 OR 9, 10!! SOME PLAYERS HAD A BAD ATTITUDE. THEY WEREN'T THERE TO LEARN AND HELP THE TEAM WIN. THEY JUST WANTED TO GOOF OFF. IT MAKES ME SO MAD. THE TALENT THAT WAS WASTED. I CAN TELL ANY COACHES OUT THERE THAT THE TALENT IN THIS AREA IS AWESOME, AND THERE ARE SOME KIDS WHO WILL WORK HARD AND ARE WILLING TO LEARN, IF YOU ARE WILLING TO COACH. WE ALSO DIDN'T HAVE A CONSISTENT OFF-SEASON PROGRAM WITH DECENT ATTENDANCE. IF SOMEBODY CAN HARNESS THE TALENT IN THIS AREA!!!

I remember when I was a Junior, Coach Wright came in and started a weight lifting program and then he left, but in the 3-4 weeks that he was there I gained about 10 pounds on all my core lifts(bench, squat, and cling) Coach Wright had us on program and it was legit. It was an intense hour of weight training Monday-Thursday. We did all kinds of stretches before and after our lifting. He emphazied stretching. My point is the guy knew what he was doing. We were working hard. I liked his defensesive strategy too. He wanted to run a 4-4, but he didn't necessarily want defensive lineman were that big, just quick and tough. He left after spring practice for another job. I wish he would've stayed. He might have brought more discipline to our team and we could have done some damage my Jr.3-7 and Sr.(Went from 4-2 to 4-6, We lost the last 4 games) year. Beat Wayne County(were 7-3) 36-0 and then lost to three teams that Wayne County beat!!! Tell me that makes sense! This young team needs somebody like Wright to show them what it takes to be a winning team and have a winning program consistently. The reason people have been so snappy on this thread is because they are desperate so see the talent in this area maximized. How can you blame them?

Guest pntherpride3

Now exactly how many students have transfered to Lewis County? Why should players stay at MPHS if they are not learning anything?

I am talking about Hill. Who said that Sharpe "stole" players for MPHS? :confused: What did he do, go up to MP with money in hand? Get real. No one stole anyone, people have a freewill.

I have gone and asked every coach at Lewis County and they told me that none ( not one single one) had applied at Mt. Pleasant. I have talked to and played with several players who transfered to Lewis County from there and the main reason was to go to a good school. Athletics was secondary. They felt like Mt. pleasant was growing to much because of Saturn and wanted to stay in a more rural setting. Everyone knows that Mt. Pleasant has outstanding talent and have been successful in the past. Coach Bashamm is a good coach no question. The bottom line is that there are several problems with Mt. Pleasant as well as thousands others across the U.S. You can put the blame on Coach Dugger if you want to but examine everything first. Does Mt. Pleasant have a fieldhouse? Is that Coach Duggers fault. It should have been built before he ever became coach. Weightroom?? Same answer as fieldhouse. Stadium has been in bad shape for years. The field couldn't be cared for due to events being done on it. Coaching staff of three people limits the amount of teaching for the kids. Should I go on or do you get the picture that everyone should share in the blame of not being successful.

Go ahead boosters and say you wouldn't help because of the coach. Shame on you!!! Administration what about the facility that the coaches need and players deserve. Shame on you to. And all of you vocal fans and parents, complain, is that all you can contribute. There are those who have been there doing their part and trying to make things better. Many players have done their part in helping but many have found that life in highschool is not about all the hard work it takes to win. So you see it is real simple to turn things around if you figure out what the problems are and it is not just Coach Dugger. You all share in the blame. Shutup, Coach Dugger is gone. Hire you a real coach who will do go to work and go to work yourself.

If Coach Wright came in and started a great weight program in just four months, why didn't Coach Bashamm do the same when he was helping coach? Does his junior high lift? Does his baseball team lift? Will he give up baseball to devote his full time to a program in shambles?If you can give a postive answer on all these then your man is already there. If not, don't just post a job but get on the phone and find the best man for the job. Tennessee is a big state with alot of good coaches who would jump at the chance to come there. Good luck and get off the computer and spend alittle time helping your program instead.

P.S. It is good to see so many people interested in your program. That is the first step towards fixing it and now accept the responsibility to fix it. :(

I've held out from this discussion as long as I can. Here is a list of things that I KNOW:

1) About the issue of weightlifting: Wolaver as of now wants to do away with the weightroom entirely. He feels that that lifting weights is a waste of time and does nothing to help one win on Friday nights.

2) As ELA has stated many times, it will be very difficult to impossible to hire someone outside the county. This almost eliminates any candidate from outside the county including Lewis County. Also it very much depends on what teaching positions are open. At this point Mt.Pleasant has an English vacancy. Perhaps the only way any out of county candidate could be hire is if the fill a vital teaching vacancy.

3) With this being said there are some quality coaches in the county that have applied. 3 of those candidates are from Spring Hill. DeWhitt Whitaker, former Tiger and Mt. Pleasant native and currently 1 of 2 defensive backs coaches at Spring Hill. An all around nice guy, but probably not a frontrunner for the head job, but possibly an assistant since he is already in the county and a new coach will be hard pressed for viable assistants. Also former Spring Hill head coach Bill Cox. It would be a good fit for him as his offense works well in A and AA ball, but his age and health are working against him. He would make an excellent assistant if it interested him. The finally candidate from Spring Hill is current defensive ends and freshmen coach and former Meigs County head coach Roger Webb. Webb is a very strong candidate and a proven head coach. He strength is dealing with players, something vital to the Mt. Pleasant job.

Whoever inherits this program will receive a diamond in the rough so to speak. With some hard work and good coaching Mt. Pleasant has the talent to be near the top year in and year out.

I'm giving you a good mark for your assessment of this matter. MB, I would have thought "Stone" might have been interested in this job? He deserves another shot at being a head coach, but I don't know if he wants it at this stage in his career? I don't know Coach Webb, and I agree with you comments about "Whit." I think it could truly be a "diamond in the rough" as you have stated.