Lebron James...

QueenBee

Lebron going straight to the NBA is just like any high school graduate getting a job right after of high school and not going to college. Lebron will be going to work, so what's the difference? Just several million dollars is all I can think of.

[Edited by pilot on 1-18-03 9:21A]

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some our towns need to improve so their citizens can do more than have cyber spasms over a 17 year old boy. All of you saying he needs to go to college need to get lives and all of you all worrying about the Hummer need to chill. I am in college now, but if I had an opportunity to leave school and make 50million you think I would go to college...heck no. WPAINE good post man. And to the gentleman before me you also had a good post. No one argues about kids going straight from high school to EA SPORTS to develop video games, cause hey $80,000 a year is not too shabby.

I'm sorry, but being a computer programmer myself, I have not yet met a high school student who has the capabilities to write efficent code that EA Sports or even 989 Studios would use. It is logical to assume that you could start your own company, but you would NEVER EVER get hired by EA Sports without a degree. Sorry.

Pilot... he may become very wealthy, and yes, it will be a great job, but without an education, he is still just another uneducated jock. EDUCATION and KNOWLEDGE is POWER. Take away a man's money and wealth and what does he have left? Pride, integrity, self esteem, character, and intellect (i.e. education). Some people may not be capable of "making it" through college, but I'll bet you Mr. James could do it if he wanted to. Education will always be more important than money.

ELA...you still didn't tell me what you would do. Take the money and go to college during your summers off, or pass the money and go straight to college? Pleaselet the world know what you would do. You already know what I would do, take the money AND go to college in the off season. That's because I believe in an education also, but I'm no fool, give me the millions WHILE I get an education. So tell us what you would do.

Here is some information learned that I will share with you about the Bank Loan and Hummer H2. What does it matter if LeBron James' mother got him a Hummer H2 for his birthday? Some people are saying that something must be going on that is shady. Couldn't be further from the truth. I spoke with several people in the business industry and they ALL said that whoever DIDN'T give a loan and the car to LeBron James is crazy. Just his name, even at 18, will make the car dealership lots of money. Yes they are giving the loan on the premise that he will sign in June of 2003, but think about how much money they will make off of him by advertisements and when he gets millions, he will more than likely go back to them for more business because they were there top give him his Hummer. So it's more to look at, especially from the business standpoint and what the car dealership is getting in return. Heck, maybe the car dealership secured his loan. You know car dealers can back some loans behind the scenes that ordinary people don't even know about. Courtesy Chevrolet helped me out with my first purchase of a car and secured it for me.

ok so i guess i missed the guy wearing the sandwish board that said you have to have a college degree to have integrity, self esteem, or even AN EDUCATION. ill tell you right now that someone can be more educated without a college degree than someone without one. listen, im all for going to college and trying to become something of yourself, but like i said before, college is not for everyone. just because someone doesnt go to college doesnt make them any less of a citizen, or a person. and like i said before im not just talking about it from an athletic point of view, some posts already mentioned bill gates and so on. but i got a new one for ya, what if i told you that one of the most popular and historic presidents in the history didnt have a college degree, Harry S. Truman never got his college degree, so tell me ELA does this make you more educated than him? does this mean that you have more integrity that he or for that matter even a average joe that cleans floors for a living? the answer is no, all a man can ask for in life is that he does what he wants to do and does it 110%. i end this post with a quote that i think is an awesome one and everybody needs to hear, "A great deal of talent is lost to the world for want of a little courage. Every day sends to their graves obscure men whose timidity prevented them from making a first effort." whether that first effort be enrolling yourself into a university, or ending ur amateur status to become a professinoal basketball player. Thanks for the response LordInFamous and Stokomo.

If it were my son, I would have waited until after the school year so that there would be no question about the eligibility. I would also beg him to go to college and play ball while he finished all four years of school. If he is wanted now by the NBA, he will be in even more demand after he sets all of the NBA records. The leap from high school to the pros is WAY TO BIG for an 18 year old to make. I guess I place much more emphasis on education than most people who post on these threads. Money is very important, but what do I know about it.

I have always told my students to find something they like to do and give it all they have. I have also asked them to at least "try" college. I think those years just after high school are the most important. I wish him well, he will go far, but if he were my son, I would say, "Go to college, get your degree, then turn pro." The perfect example of this is Peyton Manning. He has it all... money, fame, and a great education.

Yes, there are a few people who have success without the degree, but each of them had the intellect to begin with... the perfect example is Bill Gates. Everyone likes to point out the fact that he dropped out of Harvard and is now the richest man in the world. What everyone fails to mention is that he was smart enough to get into Harvard in the first place. A college education is only as good as the person who has earned it. Abraham Lincoln was almost completely self taught, but he lived at a time when a man could go far without an education, if he had the mental discipline to read and study on his own. Lebron James may be in a unique situation, but only time will tell for sure. I remember one of the greatest athletes that I have ever seen play, a former QB from Nebraska. Everyone thought he would be the top pick in the NFL draft. The doctors discovered a rare heart condition and he never made the big bucks. My reason for even spending my time talking about this guy on the basketball boards is to stress that less than 3% of all high school athletes go on to play in college. Less than 1% of all college athletes make it to the pros. The average pro career is less than 5 years. If you get an education, your odds of success in life goes way up. It is the one thing NO MAN CAN EVER TAKE AWAY FROM YOU!

ELA...giving examples? Wel, What about Len Bias, died just before signing after college. Hank Gathers, died also before his senior year ended. Wille McGhee, Miami RB, tore his knee apart and now is a high risk RB entering the draft. Tracy McGrady, jumped from high school to the NBA, Kobe Bryant did the same, Kevin Garnett also took that leap. All are very successful athletes and know how to manage their money. LeBron is no dumb jock, sporting a 2.7 GPA with all his travel and other requirements. You said a perfect point in your post. Abraham Lincoln was a self-taught individual. Adding to him, so was Albert Einstein. Not saying that LeBron James is any one of those, but my point is it doesn't take college to be smart. Yes I believe in a good education, but if you are as smart and talented as LeBron James is, go for the money and still get your education. People seem to be missing that point. LeBron can still go to college during the summers, which he stated he would. I doubt it but that's what his intentions are. I'm not a money hungry individual, heck, I probably give more than I actually spend, but I know the math doesn't add up when people are saying go to college first. What if he gets hurt before going to NBA? Then answer the opposite, what if he gets hurt after 1 or two years in the NBA and then decides to go to college. Well, if he did the second part and had the millions in his bank, he definately would not be filing for financial aid or need a scholarship.

[Edited by Stokomo on 1-19-03 1:09A]

Here is a quote regarding the investigation and the possible rule he may have broken:

"An OHSAA bylaw says an athlete forfeits his amateur status and eligibility by "capitalizing on athletic fame by receiving money or gifts of monetary value." Sources close to the family have said James' custom-made, pewter metallic Hummer, valued at about $80,000, was bought by his mother, Gloria. A family friend said the loan came from U.S. Bank. A manager at a U.S. Bank branch in Ohio, who asked not to be identified, said yesterday that Gloria James is listed as a member of its Private Client Group in the private banking division in Nashville, Tenn. This service is exclusively for "affluent individuals," the bank's Web site said. A bank spokesman said its private client group offers business and personal banking services, and typically deals with clients with minimum accounts of $500,000."

It is also reported that his mother has taken out a $5 million dollar personal injury "career" insurance policy for Lebron from the famous Lloyd's of London? The cost of this policy is $20,000 a year. Who's paying for the insurance? It would be a shame if this kid doesn't get to play in the Ohio State Championship game because he couldn't wait to get "his wheels." It may also force his team to forfiet several games.