Lebron James...

QueenBee

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted earlier on another thread......

I do not agree that anyone should be allowed to flaunt the amateur status rules and still be eligible. That says if there is a rule we do not like then we can break it with no consequence. The Ohio rule as I understand it says that an athlete forfeits amateur status by "capitalizing on athletic fame by receiving money or gifts of monatary value."

Wheather or not the kid has been exploited, I think it is a shame that he could not wait until June to get his expensive automobile. If he cannot defer gratification any better than that then his is headed for trouble when he gets all of that money. With that kind of self control what is next?

Now CHHS72, here is where we rub against each other. Until proven otherwise, LeBron's mother received a loan from the bank by her own status. If she wanted to get her son a Hummer, with all the trimmings, she has every right to do that. Right now there is no exploitation orwrong doing. And remember, if there is wrong doing, it is Lebron's MOTHER who did this. He did not take a car from an agent or outside source. So please wait until they make a final decision on this matter. I will go more in depth on this type of situation I was setting up for a new thread. So please go to the MORALITY thread when I get done. I would love everyone's input.

one word for lebron james

arrogant(as of now he has the right to be) the playing with the toy hummer before a game(making light of his situation) was too much.

his mother is worse than allen iverson's mother, she will be his downfall.

for his sake i hope everything works out well. he will be the number one pick(but i think reece gaines from louisville is the best allaround player right now and should be the no.l pick)

good luck LeBron.

i hope you can play defense. cause you don't play any now.

REECE GAINES should be the number one pick??? C'mon now. And LeBron's defense is fine..and he'll be more than alright in the NBA. Why should we take YOUR opinion on his defense? You lost any credibility you ever had when you said Reece Gaines is the best all-around player in college and should be the number one pick. He's a great player..but not THAT great.

Lebron James is a case study in what is wrong with recruiting. Although he is not being "recruited" by other high school or college coaches, we are seeing right before our eyes what happens when athletics loses its perspective.

On a smaller scale, think what happens to a young high school athlete's thought process when a high school coach recruits him.

If a student can shoot straight to the NBA, then more power to him. But when sports is out of proportion with academics, the ball is rolling down the wrong hill.

Who will be there to help Lebron James if he does not have an education and cannot help himself when the game is over?

[Edited by StanTrott on 1-16-03 12:08P]

All I can say is that if Labron James grew up rich and was a member of a country club this would not ba a issue. This only comes up when it is a black athlete. Let's talk about these young tennis and golf pros at age 13. Labron James driving that hummer is his business, not the people of Tennessee.

StanTrott...have you read any of the posts on here. I have said several times that he has a 2.7 gpa, and is going to go to college during his summers. This same negative rhetoric gets tossed around. And how is he arrogant? Just becuase the media covered him playing with a hummer toy? He always plays around like that. Remember he is just a kid that turned 18. He is still wet-behind-the-ears, so let him be a kid. As for arrogant again.......what arrogant person do you know that will take a kid who lost 3 family members on New Years Day and take him under his wing, bring him to a game, score 50 points, and still talk about how he saw his TEAMMATES open and tried to get them some shots?! The paper didn't say it. LeBron James himself said it. I don't know of ANY, and I mean ANY, arrogant player that will pass the ball, especially when he was "IN THE ZONE" that night. When will we ever learn? ;)

arrogance does not translate to selfishness. not once did i say lj was selfish.

i also said he has a right to be. he is the best hs player in the country right now(there has to be some arrogance to fuel his play). i am not knocking it. all i am saying is, is he ready to meet players who are just as confident as he is night in and night out.

he will be going #1(traditionally the worst team via the lottery) will he be able to handle that. he will have more of an adjustment than most expect.

now as far comparing inner city kids to golf and tennis kids is unfair. golf kids and tennis kids come from affluent backgrounds able to afford tutors(who travel and homeschool instructors to continue the education process) all while being professionals. most inner city kids are thrust into the NBA with little knowledge of money as is their parents. they usually have never had money and spend like crazy. responsible spending is far from their minds or parents minds. and they usually overspend and are one blown knee away from poverty.

LJ is no exception already he has taken out a loan $50,000 approved by his mother(is she aware of an NBA rookie salary cap???) at the rate she is going his rookie check will be spent before he even plays..................imnagine that......

and as far as him going to school(while playing pro ball), please.........do not believe the hype . i'll believe it when i see it.