What if LeBron had tested System as a HS JR???????

gomab2

Someone said for every Kobe, Kevin, and Amare there are hundreds that won't make it. Let's look at college stats and Employment ratings. A person with a Bachelor's degree will make an average of $1829 monthly, or $21,948 yearly. That is an average of $658,440 in a 30 year career. LeBron will make an average of 40-50 million in one year. That is 60.75 times more in his first year than a person working 30 years with a college degree. Another stat, 43% of people holding a college degree are UNDEREMPLOYED and 8% are UNEMPLOYED. One more stat..... only 23% of all jobs in the USA require a degree, leaving 77% of jobs out there that just require a high school diploma. I'm not trying to discourage any kid from gaining a college education, but to weigh this decision to go pro and take the millions vs. college is getting out of hand. If you really want to gain knowledge, read books, look at Jeopardy, read the newpaper, go to college in your spare time, etc. There are many more ways to gain knowledge. Colleges are for higher learning of a specific skill to enhance your potential to earn an honest living, a JOB.

And from looking at these stats, LeBron has a better chance of taking the money in the NBA. Queen Bee, you really lit me up on your comment about faults being at the fan's footstep. I have been saying that all along. You will not see much PRO sports gear in my wardrobe, the only thing I have is a 49ers hat from years ago that a friend got me. I have nothing else but Notre Dame gear, and that being only a couple of T-shirts. My ticket stubbs are from college games, especially the Lady Vols. I watch some NFL, very little NBA, and a lot of college games, especially basketball. But I will not be a hypocrit and say LeBron should give up millions when I would take the money myself if it was offered to me. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, LA Lakers, is a very smart man who went to college before the PROs. But he said in an interview a while back that the MOST knowledge he gained was from reading Encyclopedias, newspapers, Almanacs, and other literature with information. He was on Jeopardy one time and cleaned out the rest of the competition for that week. He also has a degree from college and was still robbed by his accountant.

There are many ways to gain knowledge without going to college. Colleges equip you for a better job with your degree. In the same manner, there ARE NOT many ways to make millions. And you better be at the DOCK when your SHIP comes in or you'll miss it........ :x

[Edited by Stokomo on 1-19-03 11:48P]

[Edited by Stokomo on 1-19-03 11:51P]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The majors can talk to high school Freshman, I mean if you are a 16 yr old Freshman you can go tryout, and when you are 17 you can sign a contract can't you, but you have to wait until you graduate until you can play. The NHL has all kinds of barely 18 kids playing who never finished or went to highschool(foriegners) but they also have plenty of players who never ever ever ever intended on going to college and never spent time to get a degree, Paul Kariya is the only player whose college days are ever mentioned (he went to Maine), did Gretzky even go to college, did you Hull, Lemeixu, how about Lindross, or Satan (lol), or Doug Weight, or Dome??????anyway.

In terms of this topic, all I have to say is this, who in their right mind would pass up making multiple millions in one year over PAYING to go to college, also costing big bucks, then getting a degree, and maybe never finding the job they want, making the money they want, to even be fairly financially set. Also, It is true that he may go to the NBA and play for one year and get cut. Maybe can't play as well in the NBA as everyone thinks he will. Look at Duke University, a college basketball powerhouse. Look at how many people were top picks in the NBA and never amounted to anything, especially Jay Williams. Sure this is his first year, but when your having games where you go 0-7, but in college you were the best in the nation, what's the tell/show us? That the NBA is harder. And James is only in High School, so just think about all this, and we will see in a bit how he does. But even if he does only play for one year and then get cut, he made enough in that one year with his team paycheck and his endorsements to live the rest of his life on his butt with no education and live happily. Now I'm not suggesting all the high school kids shoot for this goal, but look around you, how many people do you know, or even you, who hate to wake up and go to work just to make enough money to pay the bills and by some groceries then your broke for another two weeks till your next paycheck. How nice would it have been to have been offered a one year contract in the NBA. Just think about that.

Here you go! And SWISH1, OI like ELA's reward system of giving good marks to good posts. Adapt hers and give me one since we're all begging right now. LOL just kidding unless you really give me one. ;)

Queen, I did mean to comment on one of your posts about LeBron James driving a Hummer to school. If you go to most any school today, you will see all kinds of expensive cars being driven by students. A lot of student cars cost more than the teachers do. But until LeBron James is driving one, no one has EVER mentioned on this board anything about the type of car someone drives to school. So why now I ask? I can tell you. The media attention! Everyone is quick to scold LeBron James for any little thing. My question is: "Have you seen any of his interviews or articles by sports magazines?" I have, and I can tell you this kid is very polite and has some morals, more than most at his age I've seen in the spotlight. No one should ever pass quick judgement on any human being. If he chooses to never go to college and makes it just fine, no one will come back on here and say "I was wrong." But if he is a failure, everyone who said for him to go to school will say, "SEE! I told you so, he should have went to college first." Just because you want to know more about life and choose to go to college doresn't give anyone the right to judge a man. LeBron will journey to the places you study about in class. Only time will tell if he is able to sustain a good nucleus to surround him and be a strong individual physically and mentally. Remember, a college graduate can still make a bad choice of agents that will rob him blind. There have been many agents take advantage of people with college degrees. It is not a matter of education, it is a matter of trusting someone too much. I know people today that can't read or write but have a good financial track record.

My Dad had an 8th grade education...and was the smartest man I knew...He could do any type of math problem...he could talk to anyone about politics, religion, literature...he held his own with some very intelligent people...but...he had a desire for knowledge...he had a need to broaden his mind...for his own satisfaction...

I don't think a person has to go to college to be a valuable member of society...to be a contributing member...I teach Special Education and one of the hardest parts of my job is convincing my kids that they can have full happy lives without ever stepping a foot on a college campus...That they can have good jobs...a great family life...and be just as valuable to society as the guy with the doctorate...

All that being said...do I think that Lebron James is going to go to college in his off time?...No, I don't...Do I think he's going to read everything he can get his hands on...do I think he's going to surround himself with people that can help him develop into an intelligent well rounded young man?...No, I don't...Do I see him becoming a product?...Yes, I do...Do I see him being discarded when the party is over?...Yes, I do...

You are absolutely right when you say it's his choice to make...and it is...I just wish he had been better guided... and had a strong foundation to lean on...I don't think he does...and that makes me fear for him...

You asked if people would turn down the money for a college education...my answer is...I sure wouldn't...I'd go for the money...but...because of my Dad...my foundation...and the fear of disappointing him...I would go to college on my off-time...I would complete my degree...My question to you is...Who is going to be disappointed in Lebron...if he doesn't go to school?...Who is going to encourage him to become a well educated young man...His mother?...I doubt it...I think we can pretty much see where her heart is...his father figure?...Nah...don't think so...and I find that very sad...

The student parking lot?...Oh brother...don't get me started on that one!!!...I posted somewhere else that I don't think any kid needs to have a better car than their parent has... and that no one should go into debt to make sure those kids have them...I wish I still had my $300.00 1969 Chevy Nova...(that I got in 1979!!!)...that was one cool car...

I think it probably puts him in a tough spot,i know it would me,or probably anyone else.its still not a sure thing once he hits the pros,what if he gets injured early,and can never play again,or if the pressures of the nba overwhelms him,and they decide he isnt good enough.id say that hed be better off skipping this,and goin to college first,then hit the nba,so he could get the education,and more experience at a higher level than prep ball,but what if they didnt want him after 4 years,hed prolly spend the rest of his life kickin himself in the butt for missin out on a great opportunity,and a buttload of money.at least then hed have a real job to fall back on.

If I had the God given ability to make that jump, would I?

YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT!! Kevin Garnett has still not completed his degree, neither has Kobe Bryant. Both of these men came from solid homes. What about the guy from the Dallas Mavericks that had a mental break down? Do you think a couple of college years would have helped him?

But I will say this, I feel as though I was raised in an environment that would have allowed me to make sound decisions; as well surrounding myself with people who cared about me and my interests. The sad fact of it is LaBron James has not.

The Hummer is a prime example of where his money will go. His 'boys', family who he has not seen in years. His dad's legal fees.

This young man needs an education. The money will be there next year.

LaBron James and the money he stands to initially make will be stunk dry within 5 years if he does not make it big, and that could very well happen.

What ever happened to letting kids be kids. The Peyton Manning's, Tim Duncan's, and Ricky William's of the world who wanted to get the most out of their developmental years? The Millions and millions of dollars were waiting for them too, and they chose to finish college.

I realize the kid probably needs the money now, but he will be taken care of if he chose to go to college. A roof over his head, 3 square meals a day, and the ENTIRE University watching over him. Giving him a family he has never had. Does the University stand to make money off of him? Sure they do, but he is their investment also. And they will take care of him as well.

[Edited by thebeave on 1-20-03 9:54P]

mchs...what real job. A college education is to further the mind and relate to society. Look at my earlier post. Only 20% of all U.S. jobs require a college degree. I agree with the education aspect for society, but to miss out on a golden opportunity would be disasterous. Just close your eyes and think about if someone offered you 50 million dollars to do something you loved, play basketball, what would you do? A college education does not guarantee you a job. In fact, 43% are underemployed. That's almost 1 out of 2 students working in a field that does not use what they went to school for and got a degree. This is getting old, but knowledge can be gained from other sources than college. Personally, I would take the money and still get a degree in my spare time. There's no way I would miss out on 50 million dollars. Whether he gets hurt or not, LeBron is guaranteed to make a minimum of 25-50 million in his FIRST year.

One problem some of us have is we have lived long enough to understand there are more important things in life than money. I know that I have chosen a profession that will never provide me with a fortune; nevertheless, I have lived up to my parent's dreams.

Like Queen Bee, my mother (born in 1920) never finished junior high. My father (born in 1914) made it through the 11th grade before having to go to work to support himself and his family. The ONE SINGLE DRIVING force that they conveyed to me was that I was to attend college and graduate. I passed the same thirst and desire to my children. They have known since they were very young they would not only go to college but it was my request that they would not marry until they graduated from college. They know my families history and they know what everyone expects of them. In 200 years, only five members of my family have graduated from college. My sister and I and a distant cousin all have post graduate degrees. This is what the sons and daughters of proud (but poor) Welsh, German-American, and Cherokee have produced. My boys know and fully understand what is expected of them.

My point is very simple. The QUEST of knowledge and an education is a LIFE LONG pursuit. It NEVER ends until one dies. The person who stops learning is a person who fails to fulfill their potential in life. IT is so much more than just how one will earn a living. Education is almost like a religion to me. This is why I teach!

Having said all of this, maybe some of you can see why I say what I do about this situation. It drives me absolutely crazy to hear people confuse the purpose of an education with how much money one might make as a result of that education. This concept is better defined as a "Vocational or Training School," a place where one goes to learn a trade to earn a living. In contrast, a "College or University" is a place for advanced or "higher learning." These are two completely different concepts in education.

I know not everyone is going to go to college and you are right, there are many jobs that do not require a college education, but it is "The Key" that opens the door to life. Not everyone will use this magic key, but there are some things that one can not do without walking through that door, and if you don't have the key, that door will be forever closed to you.

Life is way to short. I agree with much of what you guys have said. It is so tempting for anyone of any age to "go for the money." But I will tell you this, when I die I will still have a Masters Degree in Education and it will go with me throughout life. Money and the pursuit of money is very fleeting. I will always feel sorry for people who spend their entire life in pursuit of wealth because I feel that somehow they may have missed the point of life.