Stopping the WING-T?

ELA

All right coaches and players, now that we are in the "dead zone" of high school football (the period between the state championship games in December and the start of Spring Practice), how about a friendly discussion about stopping the dreaded WING-T offense?

Every year I start this discussion and everyone has their own way of dealing with it. Even those of you who swear by this 60 year old offense, you too must find ways to stop your opponents who run it.

Please don't give us web-sites and references to the "experts," just try to explain how your team stops the WING-T! Players and former players who love defense are always welcome to give us your take... so let the discussion begin. How do YOU stop the Wing-T?

WING-T, WING-SLOT, DOUBLE WING?

LET THE DEBATE BEGIN!

[Edited by ELA on 1-20-03 1:56P]

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defensive line play is my first concern. Discipline on the inside and aggression on the outside. No running up field from your tackles and leaving wide lanes for the FB and QB to turn up in. Tackles have to hold their ground and not commit one way or the other too fast, and leave the QB with some indecision on his read, hopefully slowing the play down. And if the QB's read leads him to pull it and keep coming down the line, the outside players have to be aggressive and force the decision as soon as possible. Make him pitch it or keep it, but whatever happens, it has to happen fast so the rest of your eleven can play the ball. For all the misdirection plays with the pulling and traps and offset backfeild action, I think it is just a matter of reps and dicipline. Players have to understand what it is they are trying to stop, and that will help them on gameday.

Gotta agree with Boneal52, Disipline, stay at home, and "speed". Easier said than done, but not impossible.

We(Trousdale Co.)ran this offense for years, and made a good living at it. 4 Class A titles in the 90's. In '94 we played a team in the Clinic Bowl, that ran the same offense

we did, and they couldn't handle it either. Blocking(great line), and speed were the keys. later we went away from the "T" because we didn't have the O line to run it.

All of you ave made some good points. Of course, I have my own ideas which I have shared before... but keep posting the thoughts of how your team defense the infamous WING-T!

Also, I have noticed many teams run a "belly" or G-block set out of the WING-SLOT formation. What do you think about that scheme?

Eight man front, slant to the strength with d.line (including Strong DE) bring backside DE on a "spill" technique - change slant direction with motion and play a combination of off-man and cover 3. If the kids are disciplined and play flat this takes away everything except belly weak. - Which should be stopped by the weakside LB (if he knows his correct read progression)- You must also have a sloid answer for the boot (or waggle) as they like to call it. ;) This is the wing-t killer invented by someone other than me.

smart middle linebackers that read the guards which take them to the ball. defensive tackle penitration is BIG. Defensive ends that squeeze the down block and replace the tackle is key. Being patient and staying at home is another factor. you dont have to stuff 8 or 9 men in the box to stop the wing-t. My SR year (2000) we played a 4-4 and stopped the wing-t w/ease. middle linebackers that are willing to learn to read guards, defensive tackles that get in the backfield and disrupt things, and squeezing defensive ends are the simplest and easiest ways to stopping the wing-t. DB's need to play off and be patient, the second they "think" they see run, it's a pass, and vise versa. Free Safety should watch the guards as well. Takes him to the ball as well. Whether pass or run, he'll be in a position to make a play.