Who is the "baddest dude" to ever wrestle in TN +

PinU46

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tnmat,

I must disagree with you on Jordan. Gifted athlete? Yes. Quick on his feet? Yes.

Tougher than he was gifted? Not in a million years.

Did he ever wrestle a match without taking two injury timeouts? He was lazy and imo, taking blatant lung discomfort timeouts is a far greater reason to be left off the toughman list than crying.

Also, Scott Wells used to pin people so quickly we never got a chance to see how mean or tough he was. He was the best wrestler in the state of TN since I moved here seven years ago-- and I have an incredible amount of respect for Simpson and Keller and others, too. But none were Scott Wells. In PA, where he was from, his coaches (who coached numerous state champs and All-Americans) used to bet that he would make the Olympic team. That is how much talent he had.

Empro,

You may be confusing Derrick with Erick. Erick did take alot of timeouts, but so did Marquise. I wouldn't exclude either one of them.

Once in the Franklin Duals, Derrick was down by three and went out of bounds with a Soddy kid ranked fifth at the time. They both run back to the ten foot circle (neutral)with four seconds left.

Whistle blows and Derrick heel picks him straight to his back and wins by one. That's bad.

As far as bad like animal beating on you bad,

Keller, McCarty,M. Carletello, D. Vance, Spencer, Matt Mondelli, B. Larimer

[Edited by dblXface on 1-24-03 2:47P]

Another tough dude that comes to mind is Pat Murphy, from Hixson '79, met Ellis Gardner in the heavyweight state finals. I think Pat had a little pay back in mind for Gardner going after his knee earlier in the season on the day he got the cast off. If I remember correctly the match was 14 to 2 and the 2 points came from Murphy picking Gardner up over his head and throwing him to the mat. After the referee said one more time and you˜re disqualified, Murphy pinned him.

Murphy also had some tough guy matches with Johnny Bradford (Central) and Russ Arthur (Red Bank) earlier in his career.

Yes, Empro, I think you are confusing Erick with Derrick. Even still, I have to correct you on your statement... Erick didn't just take "lung discomfort" timeouts. However, from the outside looking in, it may have seemed that way, so I don't fault you in any way.

He had full blown asthma, which would affect him during his matches. Most people don't have asthma to the extent that he had, but those who do (including myself), know that you can't just keep going during an attack. You have to stop to take an inhaler, or you could end up in the hospital within an hour.

I've known of people who died because they didn't take treatment when they should have. Believe me, if it was simply a matter of "lung discomfort" I would never in a thousand years say that the person was worthy of "toughman" status.

Guest cornpop

McCarty was nasty, I've heard stories about Mater Dei's coach throwing in the towel at Brentwood in 2000. Mat was ripping thier kids arm out and the coach stopped it. Mat just smiled at him.

Guest Gladiator1

Adrian Northfleet of Whites Creek was tough. Stevenson of McGavock was tough. Newman from Hunters Lane was good. Owen from Antioch was good. Redus and Chandler from Hillwood were good. Armstrong from Franklin was tough