Maryville 68 William Blount 66

REBELRON

What a game! William Blount came to play. William Blount came out in their gimmick diamond and one defense on Lee Humphrey in the 2nd quarter. Thankfully the other guys stepped up. Tyler Gaskin has stepped up his game. Jacob Stout hit some big shots tonight.

William Blount has a good team.

Here is why Maryville won the game and William Blount lost! FREE THROWS!! Maryville hit theirs down the stretch and William Blount didn't. That is the bottom line.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey REBELRON:

Is a diamond and one a 'gimmick' defense if Maryville ever decides to use it? Or would it be termed a 'combo' defense sort of like a cover-2 man in football?

Just curious...I think whatever allows a team to have a chance to win (as long as it's legal) is fine. 'Gimmick' is an over-used term in all sports.

BTW, what did Lee end up with on the night?

Posted by REBELRON:

What a game! William Blount came to play. William Blount came out in their gimmick diamond and one defense on Lee Humphrey in the 2nd quarter. Thankfully the other guys stepped up. Tyler Gaskin has stepped up his game. Jacob Stout hit some big shots tonight.

William Blount has a good team.

Here is why Maryville won the game and William Blount lost! FREE THROWS!! Maryville hit theirs down the stretch and William Blount didn't. That is the bottom line.

To all you who say free throws were the deciding factor in the game: Check the stats out, Maryville shot 3 for 21 from the three point line and had 20 tournovers. I have a hard time believing that it was the free throws that did it for the rebels. Maybe the 18 offensive boards maryville pulled had something to do with it. Once again i am forced to tell you all to learn the game before you make dumb comments.

Maryville Rebels, i talked to lee last night and he seemed to know why they won. Besides what stature do you have, when was the last time you played competetive ball. You think your so smart and you can tell the players why they won a game. Try playing the game first, then try to analyze why a team won or lost. It's a whole different world.

Umm...I ate with Lee and Drew Houser last night and the last time I played competitive ball was about ohh three hours ago! If you don't think that Baumann won't have his players shooting free throw after free throw you're crazy! I know plenty about the game, I still play the game about 4 days a week. When I ate with Lee and Drew they both told me they didn't know how they won that game, Joey Koontz was also there and he agreed that he didn't know how. Seems to me that down the wire all William Blount had to do was make four free throws, 0-4, hmm...that means they would have won if you would have made them! Also being 7-8 from behind the arc helped William Blount. Don't get on here and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, I've played basketball since I was 5 years old, I know and understand the game. I played today with Drew Houser, like I do all summer long. Drew Houser and I have played basketball against one another since we were in the 8th grade, there was a time when I would beat him often, but his skill level, strength, and jumping ability are now above mine. Yea I heard the stats last night about them shooting horribly, infact the only time they actually looked like a team was in the third quarter, but down the stretch free throws won the game, Maryville made theirs and William Blount didn't, if you can't see that then you're blind!

Oh yea, my stature is 6'2" 160 with a 27 inch vertical. Yea, not quite the fat old man you imagined huh Ball? If you ever want to play thats fine by me, then you may see that I know and understand the game and I have every right to tell them why they won the game, I watched the game. Next time why don't you jump right up and tell the players they played like crap and see how they take it? I've watched these boys play and played with them since their freshman year and my freshman year, I know most their weaknesses and most their strengths. I know that Drew Houser can shoot the three pointer and make it quite consistently, I also know Drew Houser is a pretty good dribbler but is afraid to dribble because he knows the first time he does it and gets the ball taken he'll be yelled at. I also know that if you want to slow down Lee Humphrey, there is no stopping him, that you want to make him go to the outside. If you watch him he'll usually make his move to the middle of the lane when he drives. If you're good enough to make him go to the outside you might get him to pass it, which is much better than him shooting it. Andy Tipton sometimes plays stupidly, and tends to forget a few of the fundamentals, that seems to be wearing away as the season rolls on, but you could tell he was a bit lost early on, he sometimes shoots the outside shot too much, but he can make it. Tyler Gaskin is still a little iffy on his outside shot, you could really see it last year, he'd hesitate or not shoot the outside shot at all. Stout's problem, well he's a scoring machine with good fundamental play, his size, weight, and jumping ability are hindering. Eppolito, his defense is usually excellent, but his shot and poor offensive decisions hurt his play. Fowler has a lack of leadership, great street player, has great shot and great handles, but hasn't stepped up as a leader. Burchfield has this mindset that he can drive the lane, the middle of the lane, and make it over all the towers inside, he also shows a small lack of leadership. I think that about covers the starting 5 and the rest of the seniors, other than Ethan Edmiston. If I'm unitelligent and don't know the game of basketball then how in the world did I just pull out the weaknesses of 8 players, its because I know them, I've watched them, I've played with and against them. Oh yes, Drew Houser's weakness...well when he is playing with me he doesn't really have one because he plays without a care, but he has does have a slight fear of being yelled at, therefore he attempts to mess up as little as possible, he could open a new dimension to his game with cutting and outside shot, but he knows that the one time he messes up, he'll be told to never do it again. Well that covers it finally, so I think I've made my point...THANK YOU, COME AGAIN!

Posted by Ballonu:

To all you who say free throws were the deciding factor in the game: Check the stats out, Maryville shot 3 for 21 from the three point line and had 20 tournovers. I have a hard time believing that it was the free throws that did it for the rebels. Maybe the 18 offensive boards maryville pulled had something to do with it. Once again i am forced to tell you all to learn the game before you make dumb comments.

Well, I'll agree ... "somebody needs to learn the game." Sure, Maryville missed a lot of threes and had a lot of turnovers. So did W.B. But the bottom line, just as MaryvilleReb so astutely pointed out for us, is that if Nick Everett converts his 1 and 1 and if Dustin Rose doesn't miss BOTH of his two free throws in the closing minute, WB most likely gets the win. Oh well ... you know what they say and "ifs and buts."

I thought Stoutt was probably the difference maker in this game. He had some huge baskets. I thought Lee was "very human" looking. That could be a good thing for MHS though, because if these two teams meet again in the district tourney, I think Lee will be even more motivated than ususal. Tipton had an off night and House was kind of quiet. Gaskin seems to get better and better to me.

William Blounts point guards hurt them I thought ... with the exception of that one NBA three that Everett jacked up at the end ... they didn't protect the ball like they normally do. Credit some of that to Maryville's D.

I hope the Gov's get one more shot at them in the district tourney. They would have home floor advantage ... not sure it would help though, cause I know the "Rebel Rowdies" will be there in full force.

Gov