Box and one

redandblack63

Have the offensive player that is being played man to man set on the ball screens. If they switch everything you will eventually end up with a mismatch (hopefully). If your best player is a guard, he can then drive a post defender; if your best player is a post, he can then post-up a guard. It might help if you have the player being guarded man to man become your safety and send everyone else hard to the glass. But, with everything in basketball, it really comes down to how good your players are!!

Some coaches choose to just run their base zone or base man offense and hope it's successful. I think this is mostly due to the fact that they don't have (or take) the time in practice to install and run a "junk" offense. I think you can take advantage of the box part of the offense if you attack it's weak spots such as the corners and the middle of the paint. I would put a couple of guys in the post and run one (my next best shooter) on the baseline and screen for him. A lot will depend on how well coached the box and 1 is and how well they slide with the ball movement. Anyway, I found some good ideas on attacking different defenses at www.bbhighway.com. Good luck!

as i understand the question, pick & roll ought to cause problems.

if the MAN can stand not scoring big, there are lots of ways to eat a box & one alive. saw it blow up in a team's face against the holt kid at culleoka, because he seems perfectly content to set up his team mates to score.

What postition is the player that the defense is running a box and one against? If a guard, then pick and rolls all night...if a post, just keep him block to block, that way he will take up two men, the man assigned to him, and the low block box defender. Have your best shooter (hopefully you have one) on the post side wing...but don't forget to flash from the weak side!

If they adjust and start guarding your shooter, then you've just made that box and one a man to man...They are matched up with you now, just feed the post.

You may want to overload a side. (When your weak side flashes middle, with a man in the corner and man at the slot position, you have just overloaded that side, and left a good match-up on the other.)

I always tell the kid thats getting denied to just rubb off the other guys (his teammates and the defenders) and try to get open. If its someone that can handle the ball then obviously you would want to put the ball in his/her and let them run the show with your basic motions or pass and cuts.