Cookeville -CAVS

disgustedfan

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played well this weekend. Played Oak Ridge at Cumberland University, won first game 5-3 behind a good performance by Barrett Steakly on the mound. Lost second game 3-2. The bats are starting to come alive, had alot of opportunities in the second game, just didn't get a hit at the right time, but things are turning around hopefully.

You can see all the Cavs schedule, as well as all the teams schedule on the home page of CoachT, under schedules.

Thanks for following the program.

I see we got another thrashing, and don't really care why. I think it is time that we look at a different solution because I don't think it is the coach. I hear White County has finally accepted the fact that they can't compete at this level, and next year will be dropping down to Double A. The sad fact is their pitching and hitting is better than ours. They simply can't play defense. Most balls up the middle either stop rolling or hit the fence. We have lost too much young talent: Ledford, Lebel, and Ackison just to name a few. I look at Smithville, Livingston, Sparta, and Crossville, and they all have better young pitching than we do. I hate to follow Sparta anywhere, but maybe it is time that we consider doing the same. I don't think we can match up with Livingston's #1 pitcher, so how can we go against Riverdale, Oakland, or Blackman. I think if we don't drop down, we are going to be complaining about our ball team for the next several years regardless of who's the coach.

Posted by bcman100:

Played well this weekend. Played Oak Ridge at Cumberland University, won first game 5-3 behind a good performance by Barrett Steakly on the mound. Lost second game 3-2. The bats are starting to come alive, had alot of opportunities in the second game, just didn't get a hit at the right time, but things are turning around hopefully.

You can see all the Cavs schedule, as well as all the teams schedule on the home page of CoachT, under schedules.

Thanks for following the program.

:(

wacot, you have to be kidding me. First of all, the seniors pitchers for the Cavs are great pitchers, Barrett and Robby are doing a great job but arent getting any help, and with Wade Bilbrey, Micheal Alcorn, and Evan Dyer in the rotation, it's a great pitching staff. For you to say we dont compare to Kyle Copeland from Livingston, thats a mistake. Your post was horrible, and it makes me believe that you dont know much about talent. We can compete with anyone in our district and we know that, we just have to play as a team to prove it. Dont even think that Sparta's pitching is better, we hit Rogowski and Clouse everytime we face them, and we win. So dont talk about our talent level unless you know how to judge talent.

I can't believe you would say that about the Sparta pitchers, The Cavs haven't faced them this yr. yet. While you may have beaten them in past yrs, with the Cavs results so far this yr., you may be embarrassed when you get shut out by them also. I don't think Cookeville needs to drop down in class, which will never happen with the number of kids at Cookeville. (which is what classifies you) Wanting to drop down is like saying you can never get any better, and that is not the case. Warren County is no where near as big as Cookeville, and they compete strongly yr after yr. It is all about dedication, and I don't see alot of that on the Cavaliers baseball team. From an outsider looking in, they look like they need to start doing some small things to win, hit behind a runner, sacrifice, move runners over and etc.... instead, looks like they are worried about stats to much as individuals, ( and those can't be too good) Hopefully, good yrs ahead.. Riverdale has a very strong program, you may want to start watching them and see how they do it, Like the ole saying, if you can't beat em, join em.

123dp, your right in alot of what you said, some players on the cavs team are individuals, but the "team" is coming around. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to take anything away from Clouse and Rogowski when I say something about them, it's just that alot of us have grown up with them and know them too well. They know us as well just the same. But riverdale does have a good program, but they can be beaten. Just like any other team in the district.

I was able to see the CAVS play last night against Riverdale. Wow! Riverdale can hit when they need to. They had one home run off a reliever but the rest were timely singles. They are an excellent ball team. Their pitcher was one of the best I had seen at this level- he not only had good speed -but he could locate the ball where he wanted. He never threw the pitch the same place two times in a roll. The Cavs looked good most of the time- it's hard to defend line drive singles. It was good to see the younger CAVS play well. The Adams kid on third is a junior and got the only hit for the CAVS. The Turner kid behind the plate who is a sophmore-did a great job. And Toline a sophmore was in center field-he did lose one in the lights but other than that he did well. I hope to see Bilbrey the sophmore pitcher throw this weekend in their tournament. I was pleased because from what I had heard on this board the CAVs had been sloppy with many errors. Well last night they played a great team- and other than one inning they held their own. I am still convinced better days are ahead. Coach Hunt and his demeanor even down 9 to 0 was impressive. He never quit or acted like he quit. He kept encouraging the team.

You are right about Coach Hunt. He has never once given up on his team and has worked his head off this season. He is a class act in my book and deserves total respect for what he is trying to accomplish in Cookeville. Yes, better days are ahead for Cookeville. There is a lot of younger talent on the team and all the hard work will pay off.

Believe it or not, the parents do not do the hiring or the firing in Cookeville. Mr. Shanks does that. Yes, parents talk. No surprise there. They talk at every ball park across this state, not just in Cookeville!

Coach Hunt deserves much more respect than he has gotten from some, but as far as I have seen, the parents like him and believe he is the person for the job. Just been a rough start for him, but things will definitely improve.

If I were the coach and had seen some of the things said on this board, I would stay off as well. I am pleased that the coach stayed on as long as he did. His comments were always upbeat and positive. In fact not many coaches come on these boards and respond. Many look but say nothing.

Thanks coach for the comments and being upfront.