Catchers Calling More of Their Own Pitches

sportnut

Yes, soapbox derby is what I said. They have their rules where the kids do the work and not the parents. Also pinewood derbies fall under the same category for putting the parents in the back seat while the kids do the same work but on smaller cars.

If the rules were meant for the "catchers only" to call pitches then the rules would obviously state it. I have to agree that it is a case by case decision. This summer, we broke in a new senior catcher that had caught in her early career but not for the past couple of years. We started the season with the coach (me) calling and after each inning and game, I would discuss what I was doing and when I was doing it to the catcher. Two tournaments later, we had the catcher calling the games with great success. She understood that if I saw she was guessing wrong, I would break in and call to try to get them out of a jam and then give the call back to her. Normally I wouldn't have done this. This catcher is a great kid with great skills and very hyper and quick. I felt that she needed to call in order to help her focus on the game and become a bigger part of the game. During the last two tournaments of the fall season, she had picked off numerous runners on 1st, 2nd and 3rd without any instruction from the coaching staff. I am a true believer in letting the girls play with what they bring to the game. This time it worked out. My instincts were correct or lucky, you make the call but it was very rewarding watching this kid bury herself in taking charge and commanding the game. There may be some ego involved in calling pitches because I know I pride myself in the type calls I make especially in pressure situations. I think it requires a touch of it to be competitive enough to do a good job. Kids pick up on the attitude of winning and it's a good thing if not overdone. I know that at Coffee County, our coach is such a strategist, that he has the pitch, the shift and the play called at the same time. If you are going to call them, then it helps to have the "D" positioned for the call. He does a great job. Like Raiderone said, he talks to them before, during and after the game to stay on the same page of success.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this is a good post. There have been many good comments made in support of each position. However, no one can deny that the best spot in which to evaluate pitching is right behind the plate. Every coach must rely on the information provided by his or her catcher. How much more difficult is it to teach and train the catcher to make the correct call? Now this will only work with catchers that can handle the extra responsibility. Just because they are "teenagers", doesn't mean they can't handle the job. As far as experience, after catching just a few games of a particular pitcher, a catcher should know what pitch works and what pitch doesn't. Game situations can also be taught. Just as ERA stated, I think there should be a good balance and shifting of responsibilities depending on experience, game situations, and maturity. Coaches who let their catchers call pitches should stay alert to avoid catcher predictability and routines. Yeah, there could be a game or two lost because of bad catcher decisions, but that is part of the learning process. Just make sure you're still playing on the last day! Besides, coaches have never lost a game, have they?

Then again, you could have the father of the pitcher stand behind the backstop and call the pitches......

STD, you're right. Two seasons ago, I remember facing a team with their number four batter at the plate. She was a very big and strong girl with tremendous bat speed. The first time we pitched everything away from her and got out with a bloop single. The next time I thought I would be cute and give her an inside fast ball to freeze her because I genuinely thought she would be surprised to see that pitch and at worst, pull a long foul ball. To my surprise, she parked it over the twelve foot high left field fence. My pitcher stood on the mound looking at me in amazement like "you big dummy, I knew better than that!" I was schooled dearly and have been paying for that ever since with story after story wherever I go. We won the game but I lost the dignity battle for awhile....lol. Never underestimate a ballplayer and for heavens sake, don't get cute! :)

By the way dropball, how about telling us the story about the twins and the pitch call between you and "The Big Guy"...lol!!!

[Edited by ERA on 2-9-03 1:46P]

i guess i come from that standpoint for this reason:my coach knows NOTHING about calling pitches,he doesnt hardly know the game,though he is now trying to learn,last year he told me "I will call the pitches,you dont shake it off,you throw what i call"im sorry,but ive learned what to throw to who,based on their postion in the box,past experience ect.in some cases,and actually most,it is better for the pitcher and catcher to do it on their own.

ERA,

The biggest thing about "The Big Guy" is his ever running mouth! His story gets bigger every year. Pretty soon I'll be blamed for the poor weather, the economy, the Columbia disaster, and who knows what else.

1. It has been way over blown. If "The Big Guy's" offense had scored a run, we wouldn't have gotten beat 1-0 with two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning.

2. The wind picked up at the wrong time and the pitch did not go as far out as it should've; hence the home run over center field fence.

3. I think the twins switched jersys!

4. I just gave a suggestion of what to pitch; he was the head coach sending in the pitch. He had complete authority to override the "suggestion." Besides, I think he messed up the signal into the catcher and used me as a convenient scapegoat.

See, this is another reason to have the catchers call their own games....reduce the whining and blame between the coaches. :D

Now if I remember right, as "The Big Guy" tells it, there was this set of twins that played agaist you and one could not hit inside pitches and the other could not hit outside pitches. You were near the end of the game and the suggestion came from you to pitch the one that "Could" hit inside an inside pitch because she wouldn't expect it and the last thing I remember was "The Big Guy" laughing so hard every time he tells this story that he can never finish it.......! That's all I know, but I assure you, he already knows about this thread and you just might be hearing from him again...lol...to remind you about it in case you might not have all the facts right! :):)

i agree that it comes down to knowledge and trust....often times catchers at the high school age level (also college) get into a rut and they call the same pitch pattern over and over or just go with one pitch repeatedly because it worked to two batters in a row. A good opposing coach will recognize the pitch pattern and then the hitters will be ready for it