What age?

mjgIII

Soccer experts, a non soccer parent has a question. At what age should a boy begin travel soccer? I have an 8yo that they say is pretty talented and he's been asked to be on a travel team. He's made all star in soccer, baseball, is equally good in tennis, golf, and wrestling. He stinks at bowling. Do most kids specialize this early? Is he history if we don't do travel this year and just play on a team? Any input would be appreciated. :)

Nine is plenty young to start travel. Also DO NOT start to specialize in one sport before the age of thirteen. I really wish it could be later but unfortunately by that age there is too much overlapping with sports. Good luck. By the way what city do live in and what club ( travel ) contacted you?

I don't encourage others to look to travel soccer and then on a limited scale until the kids are U-12. At your son's age, he should not be playing full sided soccer. I think that it is better for the younger kids to only play in small sided games. 3v3, 5v5, or at the most 6v6. They will ALL get more touches on the ball and be involved in the game with small sided teams. Plus their skills will develop and awareness of the game improve in those situations.

Always a tough question. My 14 year-old daughter has traveled since beginning at U-9 level at 8 1/2. I think you have to look at each child individually. Do they understand the committment? Are they able to handle the competitive level of travel, not only against other teams but also within their own team? Most important for us was having a coach that understood that children this young need social time as well as enough time to explore other sports experiences. Development of each individual player should be a priority not only with skills but their attitude and enthusiasm for the sport. Burn-out is common when these priorities are forgotten. My daughter has played travel softball, AAU basketball as well as travel soccer. She also is in the state pool for the ODP program in TN. She does not feel that she would possess the skill level she has if she had not started competitive soccer at an early age. But again, each child is different. And the coach can make a kid or break them at this age.

i would not suggest specializing in a sport yet, however it is up to you as to whether or not your child should start playing travel....it could help but i don't think it would help much more than if you allowed him/her to play a few more years of rec and start travel at about age 10. i started playing travel when i was ten and i think it was better for me. again i would not specialize in a sport yet...allow the child to experience as many sports as possible until they are ready to decide. most kids don't start specializing until high school, and some in middle school.

it is not the age as much as the desire. if it is what a kid wants to do they can be ready at any age. i would judge the coach more for a young player. stay away from the "win at all costs" and look for one that wants to develop players. when a coach points with pride to older players that he/she no longer coaches, it is way better than one who talks of what tournaments "His Teams" won or how good "His Teams" were. the love of soccer will last much longer than the memory of any youth victories, travel, rec or inbetween.

Wow! This is a good thread. The concern is genuine and the consensus is that each individual is different. The pitfalls as well as the rewards have been laid out by several. I have been inolved in soccer for over 30 years and have coached, played, instructed and observed in the various states around the US. I have also observed the youth training in other countries. I would just add that travel soccer for the young ages should not interfere with school, friends and family. It should not dominate their lives at that age and the main focus should be on player development. Not just skills but emotional, mental and physical development. Kids can be scarred for life from a bad experience at that age. Anyway, the collective thoughts of all the above people is right on. Above all, soccer should be fun. Even ,my women's college team has to enjoy practice etc.

Thanks for the very enlightening asnwers (not sure about fastpitch softball cornpup), and the thought that went into them. What I gather is that he will not be harshly punished by not playing travel yet. Apparently, there is a "guest" level where he can still practice some with the team, play on his local team, and fill in with the travel as they need. You guys/gals have been a big help. Not having a soccer backgroung and having a kid that loves soccer has been different.

TD, we are in Nashville and play in the HYAC (?) league. Not sure of the team that asked him to play since my better half took the call and set up the try-out. She liked the coach though and my son loved it.

Thanks again. I have been very impressed with the sincerity of the responses.