Volunteer Falcons

Stokomo

Congratulations to the Falcons for their season. I know it didn't turn out the way that we had all hoped, but it was a good season nevertheless. Good luck to those that will return next season. And to the seniors: good luck in the future in whatever you do.

I know it will be tough, but I've been through something sorta like this before...

[Edited by illpete23 on 3-4-03 7:13P]

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that is not what beat us. We beat ourselves. Missed too many shots, both from the field and the free throw line. From the line we were 4 for 12 or 14. Something like 3 for 19 in 3-point shots and missed enough layups to do for a whole season. We only had something like 5 to 7 turnovers and Pigeon Forge 15 or more. On defense we had post men going for steals rather than getting in position to stop the offensive player or leaving the baseline wide open. Some bad decisions down the streach did not help either.

To give you accurate info, we were 4-14 FT's, 2-21 3-PT FGs, and missed 21 shots within five feet of the basket. Still, all in all, a great season, one that not many thought we'd win 20 games or even get to the regionals. Best of luck to the others (Betsy, Johnson County, & Sullivan Central). Let's show true sportsmanship and root these guys on to get the state title back to East TN!!!

Yes I am coaching an AAU team again. I love it and it will always be a part of me. Right now I am looking at:

Jerome Odom - Science Hill

Anthony Barcel - Science Hill

Lamon Williams - DB

Thomas Harrison - DB

Lester Bailey - Betsy

Rusty Chambers - Unaka

Matt Dunford - Central

Anthony Wynder - Cherokee

Kethan Blye - DB

--------------------------------------------------------

Possibles:

Daniel Singleton - Rutledge

Cody collins - Unaka

Two from Anderson County

And anyone else wanting to try-out after TSSAA tourney.

After reflecting on the post that I had posted here earlier, I have concluded that the risk of it being misunderstood was to great. I, therefore, have deleted it and now offer my sincere apology to anyone offended. It is wise to read through a post several times before hitting the button.

[Edited by caylor on 3-5-03 3:20P]

Stokomo,

My stats where based upon the sheet Ron Bliss had that apparently the tournament officials had produced. I knew when I read the paper this morning that it must have been that bunch upstairs because there were some things that I knew to be incorrect. With help from the scorer's table they announced the wrong information several times. In any event the actual stats seem to just further back me up.

Caylor, if you will look at the stats you will see that the problem was not a failure to get the ball inside. It was a failure to make shots. You need to chill. I was not referring to Chucky in my statements. Besides he does not usually play inside on defense. I cannot always say that some of your comments have not been directed at my boys. I have kept my reactions and thoughts to myself and will continue to do so. You get all bent out of shape everytime someone mentions anything that might get the least bit close to Chucky.

One of my boys lost a lot of respect for Chuck's dad because of some comments he made on here that seemed to be referring to him (he read it before it got deleted). We need to be careful and remember that these are high school kids we are discussing. They are not pros. They have all made their share of mistakes this year and they get enough negitive reinforcement as it is. A little positive reinforcement would probably go a long way to helping them. I have to keep reminding myself of this because I can be more negitive than I should be sometimes.

I thought Chucky handled the pressure very well and did not get frustrated. He needs to because that is all he will see next year. Our offense is going to have to be geared to that fact. That does not mean you have to shoot all three pointers. It means you get other people involved in the offense, When you do that and they are successful, the pressure on Chucky will be reduced.

[Edited by CHHS72 on 3-5-03 8:15A]

[Edited by CHHS72 on 3-6-03 11:07P]

Of all the expectation of negativity I thought would be on here, I never thought it would be our own fans jawing at one another. First off, no one person lost the ball game. We, us coaches, have talked about our problems (free throws and lay-ups. When you miss 21 shots in the paint and 4-14 from the line, you can't beat anyone.

CHHS72....about the box-and-one on Chucky next year. No team in their right mind will put that defense on us next year, maybe early. With the experience our sophs received this year and our two best outside shooters developing, teams will soon see that a box-and-one will not work next year. We just could not shoot the ball well this year. If anyone is to blame, blame the coaches!!! The players played their hearts out. The coaching staff has not been together one full year. I will guarantee you this.....we will be prepared next year and it will start real soon. How far you go in the tournament depends on how much time players spend developing after the previous season is over. Fundamentals is what we lacked. The desire from each and every player was there last night. But when you shoot horribly, you lose and that's just facts. A team like Pigeon Forge (not takin anything away from them either) will beat you by three, and the same stats were put up against Betsy, and they beat us by 30+. The bottom line is that we had a great season. Our weaknesses were too much to overcome this year. We will miss our senior leadership, but it will have to be made up by our underclassmen stepping up and developing their game. I look forward to next year with much expectation. WE WILL BE READY TO PLAY COME NOVEMBER!!

To you SENIORS: Andrea, Benita, Hannah, Markita, Rachel, & Josephine... :) I love you gys!!! Thanks for the memories of Lees MacRae, Bahamas, Dayton, and all season long!!!! You will be sorely missed!!!!!

[Edited by Stokomo on 3-5-03 10:33A]