All-time Greatest at your school

Guest snagglepus

Walker went through Casteel at the line of scrimmage before he ever got to Bates. One reason Bates has always been talked about is because there was an incredible photo that ran in the paper the next day showing the point of impact between him and Walker.

Casteel was a great one, but he was no Danny Spradlin.

GovMan

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gladiator1

Philip Woods RB

Kevin Komisar LB (Bama)

Justin Perez FB (Memphis)

Ed Walls TE (MTSU)

James McGowan RB (MTSU)

Kevin Feldman TE (Kentucky)

Jack Jacobik LB (Tenn)

Mike Benton DB (Bama)

Guest snagglepus

A kid who played football at my high school in Alabama,

has to be the one of the all-time greats. I recently talked to Pat Washington whom played with this kid in college.

He reminded me how this cocky kid came in as a freshman to play fullback, and bet Washington (who played quarterback) that he could throw a football further. Washington accepted the bet and after warming up threw the ball around 70 yards. The kid picked up a ball, without warming up, and threw it 100 yards, from end zone to end zone. If it were anyone else I wouldn't believe it, but the kid's name was Bo, as in Bo Jackson. True story!

100 yards is easily stashed in the "unbelievable" file. But its Bo, so c'mon. Even the skeptics who don't really believe it, they really want to believe it. I know I'm in that category. :D

Bo was one of the scariest athletes this Earth has seen. So we can at least want to believe the crazy things we've heard about him, and cherish the ones we actually got to see.

John Elway,in his prime, couldn't even throw a regulation football 100 yards. I'll agree that Bo was a fine an athlete as there ever has been, but he couldn't throw a football 100 yards even in the thin air of Colorado ... which by the way, is the place that I wish Coach Washington was now working.

GovMan

Nate4322,

I won't disagree with your pick of Scooter (Lorenzo wasn't it?) I never saw him play a game, but met him his senior year at the Clinic Bowl. I only say Lyons was good based on his Mr. Football and the overall game I saw him play in the Clinic Bowl. I know that west TN team was out of their league that game, but Lyons scored 5 TD's and set several records against supposed the state's second best team. But you do have a good pick in Scooter.

yeah long i was a freshamn that year when lyons was a senior, i played for ezell harding, they beat us pretty good that year. at that state championship game lyons was a man upon boys, but his line and fullback were very good also, daniel daughrty was the fullbach and i remeber he was huge and athletic to. besides that the team they played was pretty awful, i cant remember who is was, st. andrews or somebody????? i dunno i just remember the final score was like 50-3 and that game showed how week the other bracket is in 1a football. i have no idea how that team made it to the state championship. i never saw scooter play either since i was prob in elementry school when he played lol i just heard stories about him and saw some stats, sound like he was a man child though.

If I remember correctly, Scott Wells (Brentwood Academy) is making quite a name for himself as starting center at U.T. He has been playing very well the past couple of seasons, and is definitely a possibility for a good spot in the NFL draft. Thats better than Kurston Biggers, even though he was quite good in high school.

Chad is a great player and probably the best to actually go on and play, but the best all around football player to come out of Westview or this state for that matter was Nick Hampton. The boy had it all and still does...just wish he'd put it to use. Anyone who ever played w/ him or even watched him play would have a hard time arguing his ability