DISGRACE

toughest6

Whether it was a slam or not is not my concern with my post. Thats not my call (although I do agree with Coach Logsdon, who showed alot of class in his statements in the Chattanooga Paper). A champion wrestler puts everything he has into his quest to be number one. When you give it everything you have and suffer a set back, especially like this one, emotions will be high.

This message is for Scooter Houston the man. I know Scooter that you are feeling like you were screwed by the ref. You are no the first to feel that way and you will not be the last. Talk to Craig Johnson about his finals match when he was a JR. He felt the same way you do. There is nothing you can do about the past, all you can do is learn from it and don't repeat it. All you can do is focus on the future.

I have known Scooter Houston and his family for many years. Scooter, Chaunci, and Jarrod our tremendous young men, who I am very proud to say that I know. They have always treated me and my wrestlers with the utmost respect (even when they were put a hurt on them). The boys always carry themslves in this way because this is the way they were brought up. Mr and Mrs Houston are tremndous people and even greater parents. Scooter has always been a Yes Sir / No Sir person. He is a true competitor in every sense of the word and maybe the best athlete Jefferson County H.S. has ever had.

Scooter there are people who have posted messages on this thread wanting the TSSAA to ban you from wrestling next year. It is easy to see why they want that. If you are not on the mat, that means they will not have to face you. If you don not wrestle that makes their road a lot easier. Do not give these people that satisfaction. Come back and win it all! Use the negative as a positive the propells you to that top spot on the podium. You can do it! You know it! I know it! DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT!

Scooter I will tell you the same thing that I told Craig Johnson after his finals match in 97 ( I know some of you will post that the call against Craig was a good call, but that doesn't mean Craig didn't feel the same way Scooter does now). When wrestling a match at this tournament, you have to control the issue and the outcome of the match. You can't let the Ref become a part of. When you have a kids back on the mat for 2 seconds then there is no doubt. When you come back next year leave no doubt in every match you wrestle.

One last thing. Scooter I know that the way you reacted was not the Scooter Houston that I know. Everybody makes mistakes and this was one for you. I was glad to hear that you came back and made amends to the Coaches and Fans of Bradley County. Most guys would not have done that but your parents have taught you better.

Turn this Negative into a Positive!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I witnessed the match and felt like itwas a bad call.I also sat here all three days and seen bad calls made on each mat.This still shouldn't make it right for an athelete to act like that.TSSAA has do do something about it or next year it would be only fair for all wrestlers that are not happy with their outcome should be able to cuss kick and stomp and tear down score stations..then all should say I am sorry and thats it.......don't think so...rules should be inforced and stuck to it know matter who broke them and sporstmanship should be a top priorty.Should it have only made a difference if the scoreboard injured someone!!I remember just a few months ago a football caoch threw a helment and hit a player busting his head open...same type of rage.He said he was sorry as well...but a little too late....

Guest Smokediver

I was not present at the tourney so I did not see the call that was made. However I have officiated with both Ken Mara and PA Bowler and hold the utmost respect for both of them. Their adhereance to the spirit of the rule book is surpassed by no other. If they felt that the takedown was illegal, then I would definately have to take their word for it.

Officials have a tough job in this sport. Constantly making split second decisions based on what you see is stressful and even more so when tensions are high and competition close.

I have been an official for well over 10 years. No matter what venue I travel to, I am always aware that there are bleachers full of refs. I have heard fans scream, cuss, and more wanting a pin that they see from fifty or more feet away. Coaches do this as well from the corners. But if an official can see no more than 1/32" of space between the wrestlers shoulder and the mat, that man is not pinned. But the refs in the stands will nearly stroke out over what they see form there vantage point not the officials. At the same time, I am also aware that I am the OFFICIAL and my judement is final and based on what I see, FROM LESS THAN 10 FEET AWAY.

To blame the officials for any wrong doing, intentional or unintentional is absurd.

As for the argument on whether Scotter's actions or words that caused the flagrant misconduct, this is also a judgement call. Did Scooter have to say what he did? No. The official made his call based on his judgement, just as Scooter spoke the way he did, on his judgement.

Did this match come down to that one call. No. According to the score there was obviously some wresting taking place at some point. Did Scooter not wrestle as well earlier in the match? Could he have scored more points in the first period?

I have watched Scooter wrestle several times this seasson and have not been overly impresed. He repeatedly toyed with weaker opponets that he could have pinned in the first period of several matches, sometimes waiting to the final seconds of the third period before attempting to pin them. Yes he would put them on their back but would then let them up, but to prove what? That he could do it again?

This type of action cost his team points in a dual meet tournament. In the championship meet, he waited until the third period to try and pin his opponet but came up short of time. He had put the kid on his back several times but refused to pin him when he ahd plenty of opprotunity. His win gave the team 3 points. Jeferson Co. lost by 1.

This action borders being unsportsmanlike. Reference NFHS RULE7-4-2 (Conduct of Contestants) NOTE: The NFHS disapproves of any form of taunting which is intended or designed to embarrass, ridicule or demean others under any circusstance including on the basis of race religion, gender or national origin. The classy thing to do would get it over with. Get the 6 points for your team and leave the mat.

When the story got back to me about this, was I surprised? No. I was a little taken back as to the magnitude of his actions but not in the least bit surprised. I was actually surprised something like this had not happened earlier in the season.

The bad part is he has cut a gash deep into the image of our sport. He has disrespected all who have stepped on the mat as either a coach, wrestler or offical. All of whom have sacrificed to make our sport what it is today. We did it even with out large crowds or budgets for equipment and travel expenses. We did it even with out the support of athletic directors who had no respect for a sport that they did not understand. Do I take his actions personally? YES! Should you? YES! You would not be reading this, let alone even be logged on to this site if you didnot care about our sport and preseving its integrity and traditions. One of which happens to be sportsmanship. Our sport requires it by rule. Where else can you think of that competition begins and ends with a shake of hands between competitors?

I realize that sometimes our emotions can get the better of us. Especialy on the mat in a match of this magnitude. But that still does not mean we should condone behavior that borders on criminal.

As to whether or not he should wrestle next season, I would hope that Coach Turley would not have to wait on a descision from the TSSAA board of directors for a decision.

Scooter has placed a black eye on our sport and the school his represents.

In reference to LAUDERDALE's comment about people not wanting to see him on the mat next year, you are absolutely correct. Not because his is a great wrestler. I like watching good wrestling just as much as anybody. But where do we draw the line. If one of your kids had acted in that manner would you let that kid come back next season. Would you let him represent you and your school. Wouldn't that be just sweeping it under the rug. I think we have too much of that in our world as it is. Let's not bring it into our sport.

Shouldn't there be an exaple set here? If not here, where and when? What will it take for a line to be drawn in the sand so that actions like this will not happen again without consequences?

This incident is very unfortunate for all involved wrestlers, coaches, officials, and fans alike.It is more unfortunate for Scooter's family. Being a father myself I don't know how I would react if one of mine acted like that. I even hate it for Scooter. He is a great wrestler, and generally a good kid. At the same time we don't need this in our sport.

It was obvious he was aware that his actions were wrong or he would not have made an apology to the Bradley fans. If that is what happened I applaude him for havng the guts to do so.

I hope that whatever actions are taking will be in the best interest of our sport. After all, it was here before all us and will remain here when we are gone!

I in no way condone Scooter's actions. Did he disgrace his school? Yes. Did he disgrace his family? Probably. Did he kick over my scoreboard? Yes. Was I happy? No. WOuld I be upset at one of mine? YES. WOuld I never allow that kid to wrestle again for me? It would depend on his history.

Before those of you who love to pass judgement pass one on Scooter, I believe you need to do some research on Scooter and check the history of his athletic involement/actions in other sports.

Scooter is not the only wrestler in Tennessee that has ever "toyed" with a weaker opponent. Most do it to get a work out in, only a few, that I have seen, have done it in an unsportsman like manner. I would rather mine pin them and get off the mat, but alot of kids today would rather Tech Fall than pin someone.

Everyone makes mistakes. EVERYONE! Scooter made his with thousands of people watching. Have you ever made a mistake? Have you ever thrown a temper tantrum? Done something stupid like punch a wall, floor, or someone else? Driven your car while angry? Hit your kids out of anger for something that normally would not had bothered you but you came home in a bad mood because your boos chewed your tail? Were you given a second chance? Where you given some help or advice? There has only been one person, that I am aware of, that has walked this earth without ever making a mistake or ever using bad judgement and that is Jesus Christ.

Let those without sin ...

[Edited by LAUDERDALE on 2-20-03 12:35P]

Guest Smokediver

I am not in any way saying that I have never made a mistake. Nor have I ever been angry. All of those things you mentioned, punching walls, floors ceilings etc. I have felt like doing as a wrestler but didn't because I knew that I would suffer consequences from my coach then at some point with my parents. In other words I knew better!

You spoke of second chances in life. I agree totaly. So would the wrestler that missed weigh-ins and did not get to wrestle in the last day of the tournament. Should that kid have been given a second chance that day to weigh in? There has to be a line drawn at some point.

I do base my opinion on what I have seen in the past. I have watched all the Houston's wrestle since middle school. I think all have been great wrestlers in their own light. I also admire their tenacity as competitors. But enough is enough.I understand that kids are going to blow off steam and do things that they might not normally do. But please, to fly off like that. Give me a break!

If we let one kid get away with this type of action with only a slap on the wrist and a "don't do it again!" speach this will only give the green light to another kid to do something similar. That kid thinks, he got away with it why can't I? Stop the problem now.

As for have I ever come home and "hit" my kids. NO! Not now not ever. I resent your implication! Have I spanked my kids? Absolutely! I firmly beleive that if our children were disciplined more like me and my siblings were then we wouldn't be discussing things like we are now.

This situation travels far beyond Scooter Houston. I would feel the same way had it been a kid I had absolutely no knowledge of. It's about make a stand for what is right and saying WE WILL NOT TOLAERATE THIS IN OUR SPORT!

I know the the TSSAA, Jefferson County H.S., and Coach Turley will come up punishments for Scooter. I also know that Scooter will take his medicine, but I feel an over-dose (year ban on wrestling) is not the answer.

Hey Smokediver, would you be willing to share your self-control methods with Scooter? If you have felt like him but failed to act, share your secret with Scooter. Make him a better person and wrestler. Give him some advice and work with him. Would you be willing to do that? I can set it up and would be more than happy to do so!

[Edited by LAUDERDALE on 2-20-03 1:49P]

Smokediver is right on the money......My question??????if the scoreboard had injured a kid or maybe even another wrestler....would some still feel the same????Smokediver was right about missing a weigh in...we had a guy that wrestled in the region,won both mathes the night before the finals...was over .4 couldn't wrestle and had to withdraw...he had made weight all year...great kid....so since it is his first offense why couldn't they have let him slide...don't think so.Examples could be given all day,the only anwser is put your foot down and say this will not be tolerated period!!!!......

Guest Smokediver

It's not self-control it's called common sense. It can not be taught, merely guided. As for helping him with that, I have mentioned to him as well as his brother about their actions and mannerism on the mat without crossing the boundary of ethics and coaching. Iam not the only official that has done this. Not trying to speak for anyone else but, I have witnessed it.

It is apparent that we agree on punishment of some sort, it's the type of punishment we disagree with.

[Edited by Smokediver on 2-20-03 2:20P]