DISGRACE

toughest6

Mara is a good ref but made a bad call. Calling the NCAA championships for the last ten years doesnt necessarily make anyone flawless. I can think of a great deal of terrible calls that have been made in the NCAAs in the last ten years. Mara certainly does not make many bad calls, but last night was an exception in my opinion. However, the call should have nothing to do with the discussion. That was the most disgusting display of behavior I have ever seen in high school athletics. The coaches, family, and everyone involved in that incident should be ashamed of themselves. If I were his coach, he would never wrestle for me again! That was a sad day in TN wrestling. From what I have seen and know of Shooter Houston, he is generally a good kid. I was extremely disappointed. He needs to sit and think about some things in his life. None of us are perfect and we all do stupid things when we are young. However, that behavior was unforgivable.

CHOPS

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just something to think about.... On the subject about what Houston did while he was still on the mat. He told Creagan to (and i quote) " Shake My F***ing hand." And also, a question to the fans that were at the tourn. ... why the boos ? Were they at the fact that there was a "slam", or that there was a "bad call." Also, this kid should be suspended. If every kid, after they lost, walked off the mat, cusing, kicking stuff, and trying to hit cops and security quards...we would have some problems. Oh and another thing... At the Bradley Invitational, this was the same Houston that lost to the same Creagan...major dec. 9-1 So I mean for Houston to win he would have to wrestle better than the 1st match. And if he didn't, there was no reason to take it out on coaches, fans, equipment, kids in the stands, and the countless number of ex-wrestlers that were in the stands watching. Plus, I know that the Houston family is a very respectable family. This would be considered a huge black mark against the family and what they stood for in the past. Just a thought. :D

Hey 1moretime. Let's make it the last time huh buddy. I don't know who you're representing when you say that "all the bradley fans know it should have gone into overtime." that's crazy. no one from bradley is going to wish the match to be tied. Our wrestler was winning. Houston was coming back. That's good. Time ran out. The match would have been tied If and i say If scooter wouldn't have slammed him. But i am sorry this would have been called by 9 out of 10 officials. Creagan didn't have a post. And no Creagan wasn't over Houston's head. Which is ok, because he doesn't have to be to be a slam. it has to be a lift in which the other man is taken back to the mat out of control and with force. this was extremely evident in the match. :D

isnt it considered a slam when a guy is lifted up and brought down and hits before the guy doing the " slamming's " knee comes touches? if creagan hit the mat before houstons knee touched wouldnt that be considered a slam? im not supporting anyone i dont know scooter houston and i dont like bradley but if his knees didnt touch its a slam. right????

[Edited by MatWizard87 on 2-15-03 10:06P]

By what you're saying, this would have been a slam. The 1st thing to hit the mat was Creagan's face. But i dont think this is the rule the rule has something to do with coming down with force and not having the man under control. but anyways, for Creagan's sake, he's sitting at home with a nice tssaa medal that no one at 140 has. Houston, unfortunatly for him, bc i like him and his family , but he's sitting at home with nothing, but the fact that he lost, and showed everyonein the stands exactly what NOT to do when you lose. Just something to think about... :D

i have nothing against creagan, but you hate to see a match of that caliber be decided over such a questionable call. personally, it seemed as if most of the refs were pretty slow to award points for takedowns, stalling, stail mates, etc. they were consistent, however, for the most part. i didnt think it was a slam, and the mara should have discussed it with his other ref (as happened so many times this weekend) before making a call of such magnitude. oh yea, and of course i dont condone scooter's actions. he tarnished the sport's image. now, every football and baseball fan is going to read about the savage that went on a rampage and think about "the rock" instead of noticing the other great highlights of the weekend.

I have been watching Houston wrestle for 3-4 years

and he hasn't changed a bit. Who ever said he was

generally a good kid, must be talking about somewhere

else other than the mat, because all I have ever seen

was bad behavior from him AND his mother!!! His brother,

Chonci is the only one with any class. He, his mother,

coach, and the rest of them should be banned from any

further TN wrestling. WE DON'T NEED THAT!!!!!!

This year's call may have been questionable, but last year,

there was no doubt! When Mat Bird was left unconcious, I

would venture to say it was a slam!!!!!

Guest Matman1

I was within 20 feet of where Houston came off the mat (towards Logsdon) he was kicking and cursing as he exited the mat. He may or may not have kicked at the coach but he did kick the chair next to Logsdao and knock the clock over before he turned and went away from the clock. His mother met him at that point and slapped him taking him into the crowd where many fans were standing at that point. As far as Mara making the call, he did confir with the other official on the mat and did get a confirmation on teh call. Houston was wrong, it was ugly and should not be tollerated. Now I have a question, does the school, the coach or Houston get some kind of punishment for the event like a fine and/or suspension? :o

Just so everyone knows, the person who has been posting under my screenname is not me... I don't know who it is. They identified themselves as "the flee" in an earlier post, but I don't think most people recognized it. I have had to change my password already...

I don't know who it is, but thought that it would be appropriate to let everyone know this since those comments about the ref were not from me.

Thanks

tnmat