DISGRACE

toughest6

timj - good assessment - i was near the mat and thought it was a very well executed td - don't agree w the call - but totally disagree with flagrant misconduct and that is what scooter displayed-no excuse- and i was one of the ones clapping 10 minutes later when scooter reappeared because i (and I think many others thought the same thing ) thought that the kid was trying to apologize-unfortunate situation-

[Edited by deaddux on 2-15-03 9:55A]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 1moretime

i too question the call, but it is not an easy job. if you think you can do a better job i would love to see anyone else try an be an official. this is why we love sports, we do not know what will happen. i do question an official deciding the match. we all came to see two good wrestlers decide the match. we also do not need to forget about lil creagan. he hurts just as much as houston. it was not his fault the call was made. im sure he we probly get booed, but like i said its not his fault. dont take it out on the kid. i have never seen anyone win a semi-finals match and not come back to the arena for the rest of the night cause he was cying. how do u think he will feel today when he wrestles. i question if he will even be ready to go today. but good luck to him and scooter in life!

Guest 1moretime

yes scooter did come to the bradley fans. barely able to talk. it took alot for him to apologize.thats why many saw bradley fans stand and applaud. bradley fans know it should have gone to overtime. but we all have the right to question, but we are not in control.

I was not there and therefore did not see the match but too many times officials do not know how to hold their whistle and allow the wrestlers to settle the match. Most people feel than Kennny is one of the best officials in the country but we have all made mistakes before. I don't think that any official would make a bad call on purpose.

This is out of the Chattanooga Times online:

Ugly Display Mars Tournament

Bradley coach Steve Logsdon was uncertain about the call, but not necessarily the outcome.

"I wouldn˜t have called that a slam," Logsdon said. "But I am not a referee and it is not my call to make. If Scooter had gotten the takedown, it would have tied the score, not won the match."

Mara is a veteran official who worked his 20th NCAA championships last spring.

"There was no doubt in my mind that there was a slam," said Mara. "He lifted the man over his head and took him to the mat with force. I asked the mat judge (P.A. Bowler) if he had a slam and he said yes."

As in any athletic contest where judgement is required, reasonable people will disagree. The call isn't the title of the story, it's the actions of a kid who needs some discipline in his life. His coach contributed to this by getting a team penalty point to begin with. I expect a coach to defend his wrestler but to have enough sense to know when to stop.

i saw the match also, and yes, it was a bad call. scooter never had him above his head. yes, i was upset at the call, and quickly remembered back to last year. no, i do not approve of scooters actions, but nor do i approve of some of the adults actions that were sitting next to the mat when it happened. in particular, the gentleman that films all of bradleys matches. i saw coach logsdon grab hold of him and told him to settle down and get out of the way. again, i do not approve of scooters actions, but can any of you put yourselfs in his shoes and honestly say what you would have and wouldn't have done? we all know what we hope we would have done, but we don't know. let me correct dmx, scooter never went after logsdon and tried to kick him.

this is a very unfortunate situation that could have been calmed down if only the 2nd ref on the mat had of had the "kahuna's" to say that he disagreed with the call. very few times have i seen this happen in a match where 2 ref's are on the mat. they work as a team and know that all eyes are on them to be consistant. tough job!

"mr. camera man", "gray fox", what ever your name, stick to reporting and stay in your seat next time. that could have been a very embarrassing situation for you.

Wrestlers are in his shoes regularly. That was easily the worst exhibit (outside of WWF) I have seen in participating and observing high school wrestling for several decades. I have never seen such a complete melt down of a wrestler. The boy's coach did not help matters and bears part of the blame. Officiating errors, if there was one, happen in all sports. As far as Creagan's father's behavior, TSSAA officials need to review it. It wasn't a shining moment for Tennessee wrestling.

[Edited by soccerpro1 on 2-15-03 1:50P]

Thegatling was cheering because Creagan gassed and the underdog came back in the third period and was taking creagan down at will almost in the third. Scooter had the takedown and it wasn't a slam. It was a bad call, I hate that he was ejected, but he did deserve it. He didn't try to hit coach Logsdon, but I can't imagine how he feels after the same thing happening two years in a row. Scooter had reason to be upset, Creagan's dad didn't. His blonde mullet should have stayed in the stands and be greatfull that his son made it to the finals. Scooter would have taken Creagan down in OT, he was fired up.

Guest 1moretime

i really dont think we should question a ref that is ranked in the top ten in the nation. and has done the ncaa college championships for the last ten years.