Champion v. Champion

Guest somethingCLEVER

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my picks. I did a little research so here you go....

103: Dunning dec. Coleman (White and Manson beat Coleman & Dunning beat both of them)

DI-0 DII-3

112: Hiller dec. Ibrahim (I believe Hiller has beat him before; nonetheless, he's the best 112 in the state)

DI-0 DII-6

119: Leen dec. James (Leen beat him 3-0 at McCallie)

DI-0 DII-9

125: Silberman dec. Bird (Silberman beat him 8-7 at McCallie)

DI-0 DII-12

130: Dunning dec. Bosken (Never wrestled to my knowledge but Dunning is the best 130 in the state, he could pin him but benefit of the doubt he just decisions)

DI-0 DII-15

135: Lane dec. Manley (Lane beat him 6-4 at McCallie)

DI-3 DII-15

140: Creagan vs. Blair (too close to call, could go either way) no points either way

145: Scott maj. McKinney (Couldn't find if they wrestled, but Scott could probably pin this guy, benefit of the doubt he only majors him)

DI-3 DII-19

152: Catlett dec. Connell (Connell is not the same wrestler as he used to be, but he could win if he was on)

DI-6 DII-19

160: Gibson maj. McTorry (Gibson is a much better wrestler, but McTorry is quick and a strong defensive wrestler and would NOT allow more than a major)

DI-10 DII-19

171: Marable dec. Jones (Marable beat a good Luttrel many times this year, if someone knows if Luttrel & Jones wrestled at the MBA duals, let me know)

DI-10 DII-22

189: Freels dec. Greenwood (Greenwood can be inconstant, but could go either way)

DI-13 DII-22

215: Thornhill dec. Evans (Thornhill placed #1 at Ryan tourny and Evans placed #3. They didn't wrestle but Thornhill would win)

DI-13 DII-25

275: Crosby pin. Cooper (Crosby pinned Cooper in a minute at Ryan tourny)

DII-25 over DI-19. Even if Creagan won, DII would still win 25-23. It would be a great match but DII would be the victor.

I'm open for discussion if someone disagrees.

I would be curious to know where Coach Connell stands on this issue. No doubt that fans are selfish by nature and long to be entertained. Coach Connell is not only a coach but also a father. The moment that Lee won his title, winning over a favored opponent was enjoyable to watch. Father and son at center mat enjoying the final moments of a high school career together, embraced. What a perfect scene and ending to a steller career.

Was Coach Connell angry that Lee would not now have to wrestle yet another match to satisfy the fans and determine who is "the best"? Then, fans would be entertained and either Lee or Dustin Catlett could end their happiness with a heart breaking loss. Imagine the 28 Champions, reaching the pinnacle of their highschool careers, now forced to put it all on the line yet again after enduring the physical and mental stress of a State Tournament. Although there are some who may welcome this, (probably the ones who would be favored) I haven't heard the wrestlers in either D1 or D11 asking for this. Instead, I hear the fans and others who don't really have a dog in the hunt, just a need to be entertained. Of course people want to see great match ups. But what is wrong with a young man reaching his goal of becoming a State Champion in his division and enjoying that moment with complete satisfaction?

Do other sports do this? Does it happen in tennis? How about in swimming? Does the AA Football State Champions feel the need to play the AAA State Champions the next day? In track? How about baseball? Do the A State Champions play the AAAA? Because, you know, the fans would love it! And this is, after all about pleasing the fans, right?

Give these kids a break. Lee Connell and Dustin Catlett and 26 more just like them are State Champions who end their careers with a big win. What is so wrong with that?

You guys with nothing on the line need to see a little competition? Find a freestyle singlet and enter an open tournament. Put your own butt on the line.

I honestly think that coach Connell would want Lee to wrestle Catlett, and I know for a fact that every state champion that I have talked to wanted and still wants to wrestle the best from the other division. Wrestlers are not babies and they get into the sport because they, as individuals, love to compete. Yes, it would hurt to be a state champion in your division and then lose in a matchup against your counterpart, but they would learn more from that loss than from their state championship.

As for other sports, an indivdual state championship in wrestling is just that, an individual accomplishment. Wrestling has always been between the best wrestlers in the whole state, except for the past 6 years, so people and state champions are naturally going to want to speculate and wish for a matchup.

In my post above, I put down my picks if there was a matchup and personally, I enjoy reading who everyone thinks is the best and I hope everyone appreciates my opinions as well. So back to our subject, DI champ vs. DII champ: who would win?

i dont think dunning would kill bosken, because he rarely kills good competition. however, he never loses to good competition (in this state at least). i think dunning would major bosken, because ray almost never makes a mistake, and bosken would be forced to try something when he got down by 3 or 4. id say maybe 10-2. evans on the other hand is another matter. check out the post on the 215 class. evans is much better than he was at the father ryan tourney. nobody in this state would beat him by more than 2 if they could beat him at all.

I tend to agree with all of you more and more about Bosken. I think it would be a better match than most would expect, but mainly because Dunning does just enough to get by. He is a great wrestler that, without a doubt in MY mind, would beat Bosken but you're right, it would be no more than a major but most likey a decision. I put a decision in my previous post and I'm going to stick with that. By the way, does anyone know Dunning's record? I know that he has only lost once in the last 3 years.

103: Coleman dec. Dunning,D1-3 D2-0

112: Tike Gooden dec. Hiller,D1-6 D2-0 *

119: Leen dec. James,D1-9 D2-3 would be a closer rematch and one i'd love to see again.

125: Bird dec. Silberman,D1-12 D2-3

130: Dunning dec. Bosken,D1-12 D2-6

135: Lane dec. Manley,D1-15 D2-6

140: Creagan dec. Blair,D1-18 D2-6

145: Scott maj. McKinney,D1-18 D2-10

152: Connel dec. Catlett,D1-18 D2-13

160: Gibson dec. McTorry,D1-21 D2-13

171: Jones dec. Marable,D1-24 D2-13

189: Freel dec. Greenwood,D1-27 D2-13

215: Evans dec. Thornhill,D1-30 D2-13

HWT: Crosby p. Cooper,D1-36 D2-13

OK just my opinion, albeit a biased one, I havent kept much of a tab on D2 and everybody knows that any wrestler can just get stuck against any worthy opponent. A lot of these matches would be close ones most probably going into overtime.

*Again very biased here but I am from Red Bank and think Tike could have won this tourney, he just made a big mistake by (I think) not taking the Maplewood kid seriously. I dont know a lot about DII especially in the lower weights so as to whether or not he could beat Hiller: Tikes a friend and teammate so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

[Edited by pbp1185 on 2-19-03 5:16P]