high school option football

shadow

The option is great, the biggest attribute to the option is it is a great option if you don't have a perinial o-line. You make the defense play assignment football, not to mention it is fun to run. To me if you don't read in the option you are playing 10 on 11 where you could be playing 11 on 11. If qb will make smart decisions he does'nt have to be real tough, but in this offense if you are going to be stupid you better be tough.I will give one trade secretnow mabe more latter. Well two! O-line no one crosses your face...Back field mesh mesh mesh mesh, use this as conditioning if you have to coaches. If you are not a disciplined football team the option will make you look stupid. I know from experience 0-10 first year, 8-4 next year, region champions, one win over 2001 Boyd Bucannun.This at a team that had'nt won 7 ball games in ten years.I suggest you do like we did and get with a staff that has had success with the option be it college or high school and through ego out the door. As a new member i can tell that will be hard for some to do. I am still learning, and I hope I can get some trade secrets from some of you fellas, Remember most of the stuff we know about coaching come from someone that learned from someone else.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you need a fullback, unless you are as strong as Maryville in the veer. When we ran the flexbone and wishbone, we extremely strong at the fullback. He was a solid weapon. The thing about he wishbone is that it is a proven, explosive offense. Like I said before, the wishbone/flexbone is what I will run should I become a head coach someday.

I feel is the best offense in football. Especially if you have average athletes and an average o-line. Most of us do. It causes the defense to play assignment football and you better have dive, QB and pitch covered. Marion Co. has run the split back veer for over 20 years now and are still very successful with it. On whether the FB or split back is better to me it really depends on the athletes and type of players you have. Also it has been a surprise to me how many people really don't understand or have trouble figuring out ways to defend the option b/c it is not as wide spread as the wing-t or other offenses. Drawbacks to the offense in my opinion it is not a great come from behind offense and QB had better be tuff, doesn't have to be a stud athlete but must be durable b/c he will take alot of punishment.

I think the best football play to come along in the past few years is the mid-line option. You use TE-WING and SE-SLOT to other side and you can have mid-line to the te and inside veer to the se with four potential receivers on the LOS. Add the ability to call the play at the line, and you have a potent offense. In all options you must have reps,reps and more reps.

The option that McCallie runs is called the wing-bone by airforce. Their base plays are the M-line,veer, and counter Iso, We ran this offense at Whitwell, witch we got from Delta state. Delta had 4600+ rushing yards with this offense, and won d-II national championship. McCallie has done well also. my web site is apcondra @ aol.com if someone would like to chat. If I get cordinator, or head coaching job, this will be the offense I will run as well.

i think you should run the option out of various formations for several reasons. one is the keep the defense guessing. the more formations you run the harder it is to scheme for. second, you should be able to have immidiate threats down the field. even if you're in 4/5 wide, you can still motion into option. the wishbone is a good offense if you dont use the same lead blocker. good coaches will pick up on that and give their players a key(i.e. follow the FB, strong or weakside RB). Mix up the lead blockers in my opinion to keep the defense guessing which way the play is going. I'd run counters, iso, double iso's, sweeps, inside veer, outside veer, counter option, speed option, and triple option. Then you've got play action, boots, and waggles out of all of those. just my opinion

[Edited by Blue21SallyAt7 on 2-26-03 12:35P]