Will Healy to play at Air Force

wwwchattanoogancom

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I would like to congratulate this young man on his service to our nation and I wish him well this summer during his "indoctrination" as a new cadet. Unlike all other NCAA student-athletes, this young man must undergo a six week "boot camp" this summer before he becomes a student-athlete. It will be the toughest challenge of his life! It will be like being in three-a-days for the entire six weeks, except their won't be any pads or footballs. When he survives this challenge, he will take on anything BUT the normal life of a college athlete. He will be expected to memorize hundreds of pages of information during the summer and he will not be allowed to "talk to upperclassman" unless he is spoken to first by them. He will only have about 18-23 days off in the summer and it is a challenge that very few young men and women can survive. He will not be able to go home or see his family, except on holidays and game day. He will be told what to wear, when to wear it, and what to do every hour of the day. There will be no alcohol, or any personal freedom for the next two years. After he graduates from the Academy, he will owe 5 years of full time military service (7 years if he becomes a pilot or navigator). I am telling everyone this because I want everyone to know what a great sacrifice this young man is making to serve his country and I salute him for it! Only the top students attend the Air Force Academy, Naval academy, or United States Military Academy!

Although maybe correct for West Point, there are a few things that are not correct for the Air Force Academy that ELA said.

First off, congratulations to Will. I only wish him the best. It is a great honor to serve this great nation!

I began the Air Force Academy last summer. At the Academy, you do not have to be spoken to first to speak to an upperclassman. You simply must say, "Pardon me please sir/ma'am. Sir/Ma'am may I ask a question/make a statement." Then you are allowed to speak. Secondly, sadly to say, alcohol is just as much a part of the Academy as push-ups are. There are actually "Air Force Drinking" shirts that plenty of Cadets wear. It would be a longshot to say incoming cadets will not be exposed to alcohol for a certain amount of time. The only time cadets do not have a chance to drink is during BCT - Basic Cadet Training - for those six weeks ELA was speaking of in the summer. However, Will will not be going through that for another year. By choosing the Prep School, he will go through a 3 or 4 day training period known as T-X. He will then have the rest of the year at the Prep School with no interaction with cadets from the Academy.

Cadets at the Academy are not allowed to interact with "preppies." That is what they are called. It is known as fraternization, and that is a major no-no in the military. It will get all parties involved kicked out of the Academy. After going through a year long introductory phase at the Prep School, attending classes at the Prep School, playing football for the Prep School, and not living half as hard of a life as a cadet, he will then begin his 6 week, BCT and the famous four degree year. Not to discount the Prep School, but then the "challenging" part begins.

To this end, I commend Will on his decision and only wish him the best. By choosing the Prep School route, he will not only be giving nine years to the Air Force, but ten. Also, after the four years of Academy life, newly comissioned second lt.'s serve 5 years active duty, or closer to ten if they go on to UPT - undergraduate pilot training.

CONGRATULATIONS WILL!

Cadet Squadron 22, Raptors

"First Look, First Kill"

Class of '06

Picasso,

I'm sorry to hear that cadets at the Air Force Academy are allowed to drink. For anyone to be caught inebriated at West Point prior to being 21 is reason for separation. Maybe the standards are different in Colorado? Anyway, it will be a HUGE challenge for anyone who accepts it!

Congradulations Will Healy. It will be an honor for him to go to such a place as the Academy. He has proven he IS 1-A material. But I think what stands out is the fact that he has made a commitment to the Air Force while our nation is on the brink of war. What a man!manman