Riverdale..Just a Local Powerhouse

WarriorFan

about fighting Iraq - if we are going to compare war to your out of state theory, then the USA should not "schedule" such an obvioulsy inferior opponent. We should take on the superpowers. using your example, Iraq is like Fern Bank, Ky or whatever they were called. What does that prove. If no one on earth can challenge the US, then lets fight the Klingons. They are knon throughout the galaxy as fierce Warriors. Hey cool, I just said Warriors. Like Riverdale.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really a great thread! One of the alltime best on CoachT in terms of pure rhetorical overkill. Gotta love it.

Let's simply say that Riverdale is a really good football program; one of the best in the state. Many just feel it would be interesting to see them consistently play some more challenging teams in the pre-region schedule. Good for the fans...good for HS football...probably good for the Warriors as well.

I agree, itzme. There is no question of Riverdale's high perch in Tennessee HS football. I don't hold anything against RHS if they don't want to play high-octane out-of-state schools - even those that they could drive to and minimize costs. However, I only wish they would because their playing those schools could enhance Tennessee's place in high school football - and if there are a handful of teams who I would want to send to battle against the out-of-state powers, Riverdale would be one of those teams.

[Edited by rollredroll on 4-5-03 1:44P]

This will probably surprise you coming from me, but the 2000 and 2002 Riverdale teams played way above their level of talent to make it to the Blue Cross Bowl. The 2001 team was very, very good. They probably could have gone elsewhere and won. This year's team certainly could not. They won because they expected to win, and their opponents deep down expected Riverdale to win also. Facing a top program from out-of-state, that advantage would not be so strong if it existed at all.

I was prouder of this year's team than I was of the 2001 championship team.

Riverdale, the difference is the Klingons never win.

Read the paper or any other media, and anyone with any sense sees that we test our weapons against other "super power" armies weapons when we fight Iraq. They buy tanks from the Soviet Union, etc. During the Gulf War, Iraq had what was considered the #5 defense in the world, according to our military, so they would be considered in the hunt. Here is a link to understand why we battle test weapons. http://www.msnbc.com/news/871839.asp?0cb=-21f133272

MBA/BA likes to play out of state in the parallel as war. It allows a coach to see how they match up against great teams. Ask Pat Summit why she would play Texas, Conn. and Duke all during the regular season. She is in a very powerful SEC conference already, but she knows that you have to play the best to be the best. Come tournament time, she has already played against these other teams "weapons", and knows what to expect. It seems to work for her well. Guys, if you don't think that football is not a similation of war, think again. It is a strategy game. If you have ever played the game yourself, you may have a clue.

[Edited by Brandon100 on 4-5-03 9:35P]

[Edited by Brandon100 on 4-5-03 11:02P]

[Edited by Brandon100 on 4-5-03 11:16P]

Brandon, dude, u never answered my question. If BA and mba have been weak in recent years, why havent they scheduled their out of state games? it makes them better right. so, what team dont want to get better? I still dont see why you all sit back and say that RHS(even though i played at oakland) isn't that great just b/c they play local teams(tennessee teams). I think that region 4 in 5a is the hardest region in the state(so do others) I mean, the talent changes every year. Consider franklin. They werent very good the year before last. And look at this past years team. They did great. That goes for any team. The team can change every year. But riverdale seems to stay pretty consistent with their winning. If riverdale wants to schedule warren county, eagleville, and McNairy, then, more power to them. They dont have to prove anything to me. They have done it by their play over the past decade. That proves it to me.

I don't consider MBA or BA to be weak regarding the competition in TN. BA goes out of state, and MBA goes out of state most every year to play someone.

Being that Riverdale is one of our powerhouses in TN, why not get out and look for better competition. I think Riverdale could do well if they broadened their horizens outside of Franklin Co. teams, etc. It is just a matter of them doing it. Why wallow in mediocre competition? There is much more mystique in Valdosta High in Georgia than Riverdale in TN. Read this: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2001-10-25-top10-stadiums-valdosta.htm

Guys, all I am saying is broaden your horizens and play teams you may not be able to beat. I am confident that every year, Riverdale knows 4/5 of the regular season games they play are against a bunch of pansies.

The thing that I will give the city of Murfreesboro is that they are the best city for football/athletes in the state. It amazes me the athletes distributed among the amount of high schools. You guys are better than Nashville or Memphis. You just need to get out and play other great teams. I would love to see an MBA/BA vs. Riverdale series. It would be great for TN football. I think it could come close to filling Dudley field on most given years. This was shown by the interest in the 1995 state championship game. I would like to see the administrations come together on this one and make it happen.

[Edited by Brandon100 on 4-6-03 3:02P]

[Edited by Brandon100 on 4-6-03 3:06P]

JPATS5, You know, maybe Jefferson Co. would be a good team for Riverdale to warm up on in their potential quest for playing out of area teams. :D

Now, take yourself back to Dumplin Valley Rd, and get past Science Hill (5-5 in 2002). One of their 5 wins last year was against you guys.

It's gonna be a while before you can play with the likes of Riverdale. :)

[Edited by Brandon100 on 4-6-03 4:35P]

[Edited by Brandon100 on 4-6-03 4:36P]

well, you might want to add that science hill only lost to DB 3-0, who was much more talented than rhs, in final game of the regular season. also, as i have mentioned before, jeff lost in very close game to DB in the qtr's last yr. futhermore, jeff moved the ball much better than rhs did against DB. #1 for DB made rhs's secondary look goofy. dude, you need to get your mind together because rhs showed nothing last year. if by chance rhs makes it to the semi's this yr, i will be looking forward to rhs's secondary trying to contain scooter houston & jeff jennings. oh, before i go, what happened to the mighty tribe in the second round of the play-offs in 96? i tell you what happened--jeff ran up and down the field on rhs, which resulted in a easy victory for jeff. :)

This thread has been a good read. I guess I'll chip in now. I've played against Riverdale and have all the respect in the world for them. I think they have proven everything they have to, to anyone who cares. Yes, it'd be fun to see how they match up against Robert E. Lee or Trinity but to be honest, in the grand scheme of things concerning their program, staff, school board and most importantly, the players (who are also students, mind you), what they have to gain out of playing out of state powers, just may not balance out for them. The effort by parents and boosters to provide transportation may not be deemed worth the respect gained by the trip itself. The players, in December after having what are usually great seasons, probably will not feel any better or worse about their big fat rings wether or not they played out of state teams for their non region games.

In short, I'd say it is just a matter of opinion and value. I think everyone on this thread has had valid points and no one is wrong, and that's what makes a great thread. :)