Division 2 Soccer Rankings

WesVLT

To create a poll based upon fact instead of opinion, I created a mathematical formula to more effectively determine the top teams in Division 2. Here's how it works:

I made a points system for the records: 2 for a WIN, 1 for a TIE, and -1 for a LOSS. Then I took the strength-of-schedule record and calculated those points the same way. Next I divided the total opponent points by the number of opponents to find the points per opponent. Then I took the team's region record and calculated those points in order to emphasize head-to-head competition.

Final composite= Team points + Opponent point average + Region Points

It's not perfect, and my opinions disagree with some of the results, but it's a fun way to generate discussion. Tell me who you think is the best in D2! Here are my formula's top 10:

*Wes's Division 2 Poll:

1. Christian Brothers 31.7

2. University School of Nashville 29.5

3. Notre Dame 28.0

4. Memphis University School 26.1

5. Brentwood Academy 26

6. Montgomery Bell Academy 23.6

Battle Ground Academy 23.6

Evangelical Christian School 23.6

9. Father Ryan 22.9

10. McCallie 21.3

*Records according to www.soccerinfo.com

Obviously your #1 team looks correct. Notre Dame should drop because of their loss. I think MUS should be #2 and Brentwood Academy shouldn't be as high as they are. I would also get ECU and Mcallie out and put Baylor and Knox Catholic in. Just my view of the rankings.

this ones up for the knox catholic players how did yall play when u beat baylor and mccallie and what should notre dame do to beat these guys. yall beat baylor 3-1 and it sounds like yall thumped them. yall saw the last part of the game against baylor and notre dame. what did u do differently then nd did. and how did u score against mccallie and shut them out.

I disagree PSAFOUR. The PK call was justified. McCallie's player destroyed Catholic's player from behind and it wasnt even close. The PK was deserved. Other than that both teams had equal chances which for both were not all that dangerous or impressive on the whole. Cory getting hurt was unfortunate, but I doubt he is your whole team so one player actually would not have made that big of a difference. Just my opinion but think what you want. I'd say the score line was accurate. I'd say that McCallie should still be in the rankings along with baylor KCHS and Notre Dame. Also for whoever it is asking how KCHS played against Baylor, I really do not know. The game was a final game with both teams playing sluggish and obviously not up to either team's best. Catholic just put away more goals, that was all. The east region is well balanced this year and anything can happen as apparent by all the scores and twists.

[Edited by Irish17 on 4-16-03 9:20P]