MARYVILLES QUARTERBACK SITUATION

fayfay05

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also agree, a kid is 15-0 as a starter and now he moves to the bench? Probably not. Also Rouse is a better all around athlete and Maryville is losing two of their best receivers. Rouse teaming up with Tyler Gaskin at receiver has potential. One key to all of this though will be how much Quarles and the staff tweak the offense this year. I know that last year had Rouse not gotten injured they would have run a lot more option, to take advantage of his speed and quickness. That could factor in this year as well. Thompson is not a runner.

Cade had a great year, particularly as an inexperienced sophmore starting on a potential state championship contender. The pressure had to be immense and Cade handled it like an experienced pro. Some things we need to consider that gave Cade the opportunity to do so well are the experience of the team around him. With two consecutive state championships under their belt this group was as experienced as any highshool team could of been.

Very possible this was the best O-line Maryville has ever fielded and I think Cade was only sacked twice. With consideration of Cade's quickness and speed, and considering how much they went to the air this is a remarkable stat that shows how good the O-line was. They gave Cade the opportunity to run an offense without interference. They picture could be much different this year with a much less experienced O-line. His ability to handle pressure will be challenged eeearly and often.

Credit to Cade though he is an excellent and accurate passser who has the height to see over the lineman and the arm to be very productive in Maryville's offense.

Roush on the otherhand will allow Maryville to significantly open up the offense. With a cannon arm and decent accuracy, Rouse can be a very effective passer. His forte is his running ability. With his Houdini style of running, speed, and athletic ability Maryville becomes less predictable and much more wide open as an offense. I have been told and expect to see Rouse opening as QB on the first day of summer practice. It may change but that is the word.

The drawbacks of Rouse playing QB are obvious. Cade most likely can only play QB. Maryville does need another wideout and Rouse would be the prefect canidate. Rouse is very much like Wilks athletically but the difference is he has much better QB skills. We also expect Rouse to be in the defensive backfield.

It will be interesting to see how it works out but my sources tell me that Rouse is so good that it will be very hard to not play him at QB.

I agree with most of what MLREB said however, I must toss these thoughts into the fray, and will no doubt get pummeled by my Maryville faithful. Cade was in the right place at the right time. Sure 15-0 at qb, but make no mistake with last years O around him, many kids could have stepped up into the job given the opportunity. Very few D˜s got near him and for every completed pass there were quite a few wide open Gaskins, Holts, Clements˜s and Merrits, and other missed opportunities around the field had young Mr. Cade had the ability to read the field, which he has not yet developed. I don˜t think there is a dilemma for GQ, you go with your athlete who can run, throw and read for the option. The option that GQ liked to run during his past years was not in the game plans because Cade is not fast enough to run it. Rouse on the other hand is and should be the QB. Cade was not the only Soph who can play and when some of those Freshman show up next fall a great deal of speed will be available for GQ to pick from. Cade did do a great job and nothing here was meant to take away from his ability or the good things he accomplished last year. But if Maryville is to again win the toughest region in the state and have a shot to make it back on top, you must go with your best available talent, not what was done in the past.