Maryville's injury update

KenHawk

Maryville played in the Region II Challenge Tournament this weekend without ace pitcher Gretchen Prugh (dislocated shoulder), and outfielders Breanne Anderson (hyperextended knee), and Whitney Reisser (Dislocated shoulder). Now starting shortstop Becca Giles is questionable because of illness. All the girls are listed as day to day, but we are not sure when any of them will return for sure. Alison Fulmer has been out all season (knee) and Jennifer Bush has missed the last several weeks (knee). I am proud of the way the team has responded to adversity. Nikki Hickman has really pitched well in Gretchen's absence, and catcher Alicia Vance played over the weekend very well even though she was injured and not feeling well.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke with Becca's Mom this morning (Monday), at the high school, and Becca is out for the games against Farragut and West. Becca is being treated for Strep throat and is not even going to be in school today. Her Mom was at the school to deliver a project that was due that Becca didn't want to be late. STUDENT athelete!

She actually was sick all day on Saturday and didn't tell her parents until after the final game. Get well soon, Becca and all of the Maryville Lady Rebels.

District tournaments are just around the corner and it would be a shame to see the team not make it this year after having such a great season.

I also appreciate the nice post by ladyadmiral as well as the many other parents from Farragut, William Blount, Karns, and Heritage who expressed their genuine concern to me over the weekend for our injured players. Your sincerity and sportsmanship are greatly appreciated.

Ken Hawkins

MHS Softball Coach

Is Gretchen Prugh's injury to her throwing shoulder? Either way, tough luck for her and for the Maryville team. She sounds like a trooper, though, so I'm sure she'll overcome it soon. I've heard good things about her and the Maryville team. Good luck to you and I hope everyone gets healthy before tournament time.

Thanks. Prugh's injury is on her throwing shoulder.

We've just learned that the doctor said that Gretchen should be able to play by next Monday. We'll have to wait and see. Gretchen is our only senior and she says that she WILL be ready.

[Edited by KenHawk on 4-28-03 12:22P]

good luck rebels in the district tourney. Your team displayed good team ball this past weekend with Prugh being out. If it wasn't for you beating us 2-0 on Friday night, then we would have been undefeated for the tournament. keep up the good work cause no matter who's pitching it's still a team game. ;)

I thought that a pitcher pitching underhand (softball) has a more natural motion as opposed to overhand (baseball). Is this not a true statement.

Also, some coaches try to ride one pitcher to much thru the season sometimes when they don't have to. Some coaches don't have the luxury of another good pitcher.

The main thing is to get into your district tounament as healthy as possible. Even though most coaches and players don't like to lose.

:mad:govolz:mad: , if you read each post carefully inside a thread then you can completely understand the situation. It appears the young lady with the hurt shoulder did so by sliding, and not by pitching.:)

Posted by govolz:

I thought that a pitcher pitching underhand (softball) has a more natural motion as opposed to overhand (baseball). Is this not a true statement.