MARYVILLE REBELS

spanky51jhs

I played golf with friends of mine from TN a couple weekends ago up here in the Northeast. They felt that Maryville's receiving corp will not be as strong. Will there be enough good pass catchers for Maryville to make a run at another title? They think McCord will be a better every down back than Stewart but will the receivers give the Maryville coaches enough options to balance things up.

My question, when Maryville won the title in 2000, who did they throw to on third down? Really they didn't have to. I saw the title game where the coaches used, very well I might add, an unbalanced line that Memphis East never adjusted to when and 21 ran wild. At some point, you have to think that there are enough bright coaches out there to stop a certain running play. Maryville seemed to compensate for that last year at least when Hillsboro stopped the run. But how many times can Maryville outcoach the other team with the players they have and win a title? Nothing against the players Maryville won with, they were disciplined and showed a lot of guts and determination but will that always work? Stars and Bars, RebRon, what do you think?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

missingthesouth, MHS went against their tendencies in the game against Memphis East. That season after they started 0-4, they moved Giles into QB and moved Wilks to WR almost all the time. Kyle Harris #30 and Merritt were the other WR's and were very productive.

The weather in 2000 at the 'Boro made it vitually impossible to throw (swirling wind, rain, and snow). East came into the game looking for the pass. Then as you stated earlier they went to an unbalanced line and they never adjusted to the formation. If you remember East drove down on the 1st possession and scored and I believe as I have seen happen a lot of times, they got over confident and relaxed. MHS hung around, found the unbalanced formation would work and vitually abandoned the pass. A storybook ending to a season that looked so bleak 2 months earlier. GQ made a believer out of me that season.

As far as MHS this season at WR, you could see something similar to 2000. All that depends on who steps up this season, to help Gaskin. Clement, Harris (Kyle's little brother), Humphrey, Sanders, Garner, etc. will have to step up. If they don't, look for Rouse to help (ala Wilks in 2000). Rouse is tremendous in the open field. But I believe these others will develop. McCord will have help in the backfield. Byner, Parnell, Tallent etc. will keep everyone honest. Plus the threat that Rouse gives as a runner, will give the Maryville O another dimension they haven't had in a few years.

Good news Gov-Man. Give me some more details. Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

I've told you about all I know concerning the Valdosta transfer. But I did get from a very reliable source that he's coming. Sometimes kids get built way up and they end up being not so good. We'll see.

I believe Kyle Hodges is going out for football again this year. Can he make any kind of an impact anywhere?

GovMan, I hope you are right.

I hear a lot of rumors though. This past year I heard that a kid from Halls is coming,I heard that Dustin Lindsey was transfering to Maryville,I heard that a big lineman from Michigan is coming to Maryville,I heard the Walker brothers from William Blount are coming,I heard Jon Lawhon was transfering from William Blount,Mike Jones from Monterey and I heard Tanner Caylor was transfering from Heritage.

The only ones that are true was Lawhon and Caylor. Those others I will believe it when I see it.

I believe Kyle Hodges was #15 in the spring. If that was him then he will be a big impact. He reminded me of a faster Joey Gourley. Gourley had great hands and ran great routes.

Stars

I only saw the 2nd game of the season against Central, the semis against Greenville, and then the title game. I stand corrected. Wilks was a very good receiver and Harris made a long catch on an underthrown ball in the Greenville game. I had forgotten until you talked about Harris. He went up high and outfought the DB on that long pass and then ran the rest of the way for a the TD. Also, in that 2000 game against Memphis East, I think it was Harris who ran an interception about 100 yards for a TD that broke East's back.

It will interesting to see who steps up besides Gaskin at wideout this year. GQ will find a way to score and has a way of coaching to win. If I recall in that Greenville game, Quarles had Maryville onside kick the second half kickoff (leading 14-12 I think) and Maryville subsequently recovered and went down to score.

Has Maryville ever won 3 titles in a row before 2000-2002?

I saw Maryville under Hammontree in 98 title game, probably the best Maryville team I've seen, but I think they are a better team under Quarles as far as fundamentally etc. I know Quarles brought in Gaylor as his DC and Gaylor has done a tremendous job.

I know from the early 80's on Maryville never showed dominance until 97 on. Is it Hammontree or Quarles that have driven them? I know GQ was an assistant under Hammontree and opened the offense up more and didn't restrict the offense to the wing-T that Hammontree installed. Quarles ran the 4 wide offense, mixed the option in, etc. Defense was adequate to stop the opponents offense. But did Quarles offensive mind make a difference. Maybe I'm giving Quarles too much credit as an offensive mind, and taking away from the players that played for them, but would Maryville have been so successful?

Will Maryville keep Quarles? I know as a Jeff County fan, if we could pay him what Maryville pays him, we would want him. Who would you Maryville fans pick to be head coach? Hammontree or Quarles?

I came to the realization as a Jeff County fan that Anthony as offensive coordinator made a huge difference in the success of Jeff. The veer was boring but it along with a mind boggling defense got Jeff County a title. Does Quarles do the same?

To take it a step farther, would Maryville have had the success that they have had if Quarles was not the head coach? Would Hammontree, Gaylor, Kisabeth have done what he has done, 3 titles? I'd like to know your opinions out there. I know high school football runs in cycles but does coaching make that much difference. I think so, what do you think?

missingthesouth, first you are correct about the Greeneville game. I have seen MHS on-side kick in several big games, including the Blue-Cross Bowl last year. I have to give our coaches credit, they study every facet of the game and if they see someone bailing out on kickoff returns, they seize the opportunity. They always seen to pull it when you least expect it. I have to give GQ credit. Some people would just think about doing what he does, but as you have stated earlier, MHS plays to win and will try anything and everything to get to that result. Even though sometimes it appears and is so unorthodox.

I give Hammontree a lot of credit for getting MHS back to where they were in the '70's. He instilled a work ethic and showed a lot of people how important a serious weight training and conditioning program is in today's high school football. He was tenacious and determined. He assembled a very good staff and got the kids believing in MHS football again.

In my mind GQ has just taken the foundation that Hammontree left and ran with it. I think he has a little more relaxed approach, but he has a good grasp on what he wants and how to accomplish it. I have not missed a MHS game in years, but I cannot sit in the stands and tell you what he is going to call next. He is very unpredictable. He has a great staff imo. David Ellis, Gaylor, Mike White, Humphrey, Thompson, Pink, all seen to work well together and add a lot to the team.

We have been blessed with good players, no doubt. But last year when we had a rash of injuries, they always found a way to get it done. They found a way in the 4th quarter against a very talented Hillsboro team. But what I thinks makes MHS so tough is, they play true TEAM football. All the coaches, players, parents, alumni, teachers, community; all pull together to support Maryville football.

Maryville had never won 3 titles in a row until these past 3 seasons. In the 70's they won it in 1970, 1976, 1978. We finished runner-up in '77 and '79. Maybe Rebelron and MLREB and others can give you their thoughts about GQ and the MHS program. Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

Good post Stars,

I think that Maryville has an excellent staff and Maryville plays excellent football. I just wanted to see what Maryville experts thought about an old Jeff County boy. He has done what is very difficult to do, sustain a winning team on the high school level.

My "Yankee" buddies and I are coming to the Maryville-Alcoa game this year for Labor Day for the atmosphere (and I'm sure a great game) and we are excited about Maryville will do next. They tell their wives that they are going to TN to watch the epitome of High School football when they come to watch your team.

My Jeff County buddies get on me about choosing Maryville games over Jeff games but part of the draw for Maryville games is seeing what they do next.

I hope Jeff County will not disown me when I jump back on their bandwagon this year? Go Pats.

They tell their wives that they are going to TN to watch the epitome of High School football when they come to watch your team.

Does anyone else think thats really cool!? Also, Missing, I was wondering what opinion you and your "Yankee" buddies had of the Confederate flags that the Maryville students wave and the Alcoa students rip!? Do you find it offensive or is it just something that kinda adds to the atmosphere!?

missingthesouth, I'm sure the MHS-AHS game will be another good'un. The whole week leading up to the game is special. As to what you'll see next; I would say a lot more option if Rouse stays at QB. Or maybe it will be more of the same, "Just whatever the defense gives us."

No doubt the "Old Jeff County Boy" has done a tremendous job. He has a record of 50-8 and that's amazing when you consider he was 10-7 after the 0-4 start in 2000. That's 40 out of the last 41 and presently a 26 game winning streak and 3 in a row. I think he has embraced Maryville and vice-versa.

I think Jeff will be good this season. From what I've read, they appear to have some good seniors and who knows, this could be their year. Meadows is a good coach. I think he has already shown that in the past, wherever he's been. Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS