MARYVILLE REBELS

spanky51jhs

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post by RebRon and Stars,

I agree that Hammontree was great. I don't know if Quarles will stay at Maryville. If I was him, I would stay at Maryville even though Jeff County would love to have him. Meadows is great but I'd love to have a Jeff County boy. I'll agree Pete Billingsley was an inspirational leader and had great knowledge of the game. I know absolutely nothing, nothing about Charlie Frye.

missingthesouth, I like Rebelron hope GQ stays at MHS for years to come. I say that selfishly because first I am a Red Rebel and secondly I have young relatives and would like to see them play for a man with his character.

I don't know how long GQ will stay, but he seems to have settled into the Maryville area. I believe he now has a younger sister teaching in the Maryville School System. I know GQ must feel some alligence to Jeff County, but from a monetary standpoint (teacher pay), a high school football coaching standpoint, and a place to live stand point; I believe Maryville would be hard to compete with, at least in East Tennessee. Go Rebs.

Good post RebRon, Stars, and GovMan

I think Quarles would be crazy to leave Maryville. I know my Jeff peers would look down at me for saying this.

As for the Pats. Go Pats. Jennings and Houston get ready because all of Jeff County is expecting you to do great things. Our expectations are as high as they were when my old hiney was looking forward to the 87 season. Play confident. Don't be afraid to lose. Winning will take care of itself. Good luck and make things happen. Jeff County and beyond is behind you.

If and when Quarles leaves Maryville it will be to coach at the next level. He has already received some contacts from Colleges and if he continues that success he will continue to get them. Jeff County would be a lateral move even if the money is somewhat better. I know he has family there but they are an hour drive away. He does have a sister that teaches at the intermediate school and his wife also has a good job with one of the local banks i believe. My guess is that when he leaves it will be that a college makes an offer he cannot refuse. He is a comptetitor, and if he continues to have this success here he will want a new challenge.

George Quarles is a great coach. He is one of the best in the state.

George has been contacted by Furman to be an assistant coach. He may have had other offers too.I think the only way he would leave is for a college job paying the BIG BUCKS. He has it real good at Maryville. He teaches Drivers Education and coaches football. He is treated almost like a celebrity. When I see him at the basketball games everybody wants to be around him and talk to him.

George has put together a great staff. David Ellis is a great offensive line coach.Jim Gaylor,Mike White,Mark Humphrey,Wayne Thompson,Joe Pinkerton and Joe Robinette make up the coaching staff. I think Ellis,Humphrey and Thompson will stay at Maryville for the rest of their coaching career.Robinette would probably never leave also. I look for Gaylor,Mike White and Joe Pinkerton to be head coaches one day. All 3 guys are great coaches. If anyone leaves Maryville will have a replacement in a heartbeat.Former Rebel standout David Sweetland teaches in the Maryville system now. He would be a great coach.

I was looking at the 98 program the other day. Ellis and Quarles are the only coaches here now that coached in 98. Humphrey was coaching freshmen then. In 99 Thompson,Gaylor,Pinkerton,White and Robinette started coaching at Maryville. Billingsly stayed in 99 tohelp coach then went to Georgia to help his buddy Hammontree out.

Edited by REBELRON

REBELRON

here is an update on the Freshman class and a little of what I left out.

Three lineman that I forget but was reminded of are Taylor Steel.......big athletic lineman

Brent Faulkner- currently 6'1" heading to 6'5".....good athlete but needs to get serious.

Reece Brassler .......Big kid with a nasty disposition on the football field. A potential difference maker.

Here is some bad news....T.J. Franklin to Catholic. T.J. is following the footsteps of his brother who got a swim scholly from UT. This is a surprise because mom and dad said T.J. was staying. May be big fish in a small pond syndrome.

FYI - Saw Tanner Caylkor at the 6:30 AM workout yesterday. You couldn't of slapped that smile off his face.

MLREB, Hate to hear that about TJ Franklin. I thought him and Merion would be our future defensive ends. TJ was a heck of a player.

How good will your 8 year old team be? How good will the Southerners and Rebs be? Who are the studs on those teams? What about the Bears and Cubs? Who stands out on those teams?

One reason Maryville High School is so good is not only their great high school staff. But! They get great coaching from their youth teams. You and Ralph Miranda do a great job with the little rebs,Joey Winders does a great job with the Southerners and Don Sentell does a great job with the Rebs. Winders has been coaching the Southerners close to 20 years. Sentell has been coaching the Rebs over 35 years. Ricky Maples and Danny Maples do a great job with the Bears and Cubs. Both those guys have been coaching for over 20 years. By the time they get to Maryville Middle School they know a lot about the fundementals of football. Joey Winders is the best youth league coach I ever seen. Kids love Joey. After a Maryville High School game the high school players will talk to Joey and have their picture taken with him.

I will try to make it to some of your games this fall.

As for the youth league teams

Li'l Rebs - Loaded with likely our best team ever. Two lineman and one back that would have no problem starting on the Southerners. Butt to butt across the line with our best speed ever. Also, an awesome QB.

Southerners - Strong group of 9's and a weak group of 10's. Best player will be a 9, Miranda, and expect 4 to 5 nine's to start. 10's are good but small with -0- standouts. Top back is Dalton Curtis and Justin Myers, brother is LB at Heritage, also StarNBars has a little imput here with a nephew as one of the RB's. Brandon has a chance to be good. The top lineman is Brandon Guy.

Rebs - 11 year old group may be the best ever to go through the system. 12's are average and small. The standout should be Justin Smith. Justin is the most athletic of Jeff and Rose's boys. Also, a small kid named Chris Jordan. Chris is out of the David Sweetland mold. Too many to mention out of the 11 year old group but a name from the past may get your attention. There are two Talley boys on the team. Top Lineman is Dustin Beets and the top back is Mason Trenda.

Don't expect much from the Bears-Cubs. They have no feeder program and the effect is showing. Danny Maples is no longer coaching because of work and the desire not to miss Tyler's games-practices. Ricky is coaching the Midgets and Don Myers is coaching the Pee Wees.

Don Sentell will coach his 39th year in 03

Joey Winders will coach his 19th year in 03.

Agree on Joey being the best youth coach in Blount County. That includes all sports. As a tribute to Joey six or seven of the 03 seniors had the phrase "No Gutts - No Glory" tatooed on their arms. You probably know that this saying has been the Southerner's motto for some time. Joey wasn't to thrilled about the tatoo when he heard about it but deemed it an honor to be reconized by these kids in such a way.

Thanks for the compliment. I feel it to be an honor to coach at a youth level. It IS a labor of love. I look forward to our first year group playing in the red and black on Friday nights. They will be freshman next year so it's not too far away.

Edited by MLREB

Rebelron, MLREB has it enlightened us again..lol. I agree with your evaluation of our youth league coaches. We have a tremendous group of men that get these guys started in the right direction. MLREB started the grasscutters in Maryville and it will be interesting see the dividends on Friday nights, in the near future.

MLREB, see anymore surprises on the varsity level, in terms of new players or transfers? Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS