MARYVILLE REBELS

spanky51jhs

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well those Rebels lost 'so much' off last years team ... they'll have to come up with a qb ... oh no, that's right they've got last year's starter back plus the guy who would have been starting if he hadn't been injured . Yeah, but they lost all those good receivers ... oops, I forgot ... they've still got last year's MVP of the Clinic Bowl, receiver Tyler Gaskin. But they're gonna be hurting at running back ... nah, I forgot ... they've got Chris McCord, who was a more fundamentally sound runner than Stewart was and they've got Antonio Byner (remember that name.)

I figure if Coach Ellis can come up with some more of those typical Maryville linemen and if the defense comes through, they are still the team to beat in 4A.

We've got them at home this year at William Blount. Hopin' for another one of those extended overtime specials that we're famous for!!!

Who besides Gaskin will Maryville have at wideout?

I think they can do well in the region but will their youth hurt them once playoff time comes around? Who knows, they were youthful in 2000 and did well. I haven't seen a schedule although I did hear that they have an open week in October and start the season around August 20. The open week could give the Maryville coaches time to regroup if the Rebs start slow or it could kill momentum if they get off to a quick start.

I never liked open dates.

rumor has it that maryville has a very weak senior class. however, on the other hand, they have a great junior class. point, knox central has a super senior class--super senior class versus great junior class? the seniors should win. maryville finishes 8-2 (loses to central and morr. west). in addition, maryville's season ends in the qtr's to k. central. this yr might be a disapointment for the rebs, but the next two yrs after will be a nightmare--losing to alcoa for two straight years. man, alcoa has the best soph. group in the history of all blount co. teams.

I think you will see Gaskin,Andrew Clement and Kirk Harris at receiver. Alex Rouse will play receiver and quarterback. Chase Sanders,Ben Swann,Curtis Tate and whoever #15 was will help out at receiver.

Backfield will be loaded despite losing Carl Stewart. Quarterback position has two starters.Running Back is loaded. Chris McCord is very good. Adam Parnell will be the other starter. He is very good. Tough as nails. Antonio Byner and Ryan Tallent would start for most teams. Backfield will be loaded in the future with incoming freshmen Adrian Baker and Ryan Singleton.

Offensive line will not be a worry as long as David Ellis coaches at Maryville. I saw the coach a few weeks ago and he told me that they will be young on the line but talented. He said his players are working hard in the weightroom.

I think offensively they will be fine.

I worry more about defense than i do offense. They will miss the corners,linebackers and 2 stud defensive linemen. Some youngsters will have to step up for Maryville for Maryville to have a great year.

They will have 4 starters returning on offense and 4 starters returning on defense.

rumor has it that maryville has a very weak senior class. however, on the other hand, they have a great junior class. point, knox central has a super senior class--super senior class versus great junior class? the seniors should win. maryville finishes 8-2 (loses to central and morr. west). in addition, maryville's season ends in the qtr's to k. central. this yr might be a disapointment for the rebs, but the next two yrs after will be a nightmare--losing to alcoa for two straight years. man, alcoa has the best soph. group in the history of all blount co. teams.

That group better start winning state titles this year if they want to be compared to the best class to ever come out of the Knoxville area.

The class I am talking about is this past years senior class at Maryville.

Brandon Waters,Carl Stewart,Lucas Tipton and the reast of this senior class has 3 RINGS!!!!!!! They went 40-5 in their career. That was after an 0-4 start. They went 40-1 after the Halls game in 2000.

That senior class is by far the best to ever go through Blount County.

JPATS5, I hope everyone feels the same way you do.I hope everyone else thinks the Rebels will be down this year. I would love to see Maryville surprise some people this year.

RebelRon,

Numbers don't lie my friend. One would be hard pressed to argue with your contention that this year's class was the best to ever come through these parts.

As far as JPats5 goes ... they must have some really good weed up around Jefferson cause he's smokin' something. The group of upcoming soph's at Alcoa, no doubt, are talented. But let him talk after they win the next three state championships (even though they are still in the smaller school classification).

To think that the Tornadoes will beat Maryville anytime soon ... for that matter to think they'll even be able to beat William Blount ... is ludicrous.

I think they'll be a really good team in their classification this year and realistically could challenge for a state title in another year or two if everything falls into place ... but they still won't be Blount County Champs.

rebelron, have you heard from other people about the talent pool of alcoa's upcoming soph's? from my sources they have speed, speed, and more speed. and from several several people they say this group has several skill players with not speed but lighting speed and very quick linemen. you know the law--speed kills!

Good posts Gov-Man and Rebelron. Alcoa does have a good class coming up. But, they have already lost the outside speed threat from that class in WR Ronald Osbourne who transferred to Blount.

Generally good senior classes go a long ways, but not always. I believe it takes a combination of 3 classes and the chemistry and coaching to get there. In 2000 MHS had Wilks, Harris, Pacifico, and Chase Anderson leading a bunch of sophomores to the championship. That group was a good, but small senior class, a lot like this year's team. They defeated good senior oriented teams like Hixson (lead by Nebraska signees the Bullocks twins), Halls, Rhea County, Greeneville, and eventually defending state champ Memphis East.

The development at Linebacker will be the key to this Murvul TEAM imo. Rebelron, you forgot Dave Garner who I believe will help at receiver and star at safety along with Gaskin. To say this team or that team is going to be there; well it's too early to tell. It's a long way to Dec. 6th. But just in case, we still have our time shares for that week at the 'Boro. Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

govman, like i said, rumor has it. i've not witnessed alcoa's great talent on the field, but my sources are reliable. oh, but maybe they are smoking some of that good stuff. i will say this the 89 alcoa team was probably one the best teams from blount co in the last 20 years. and my sources say that the upcoming soph. class is even better than that squad.

govman, like i said, rumor has it. i've not witnessed alcoa's great talent on the field, but my sources are reliable. oh, but maybe they are smoking some of that good stuff. i will say this the 89 alcoa team was probably one the best teams from blount co in the last 20 years. and my sources say that the upcoming soph. class is even better than that squad.

Rumor has it, my sources say. Alcoa definitely has a talented upcoming soph class. although i think they lost arguably the best overall athlete in the group to wm blount when osborne transferred. you are doing them no favors in declaring them the best ever before they have even had their first winning season or played their first playoff game. they wore people out in middle school and that is what people are banking these opinions on, but depth becomes much more of a factor in high school, particularly when they are playing schools in higher classifications.

Edited by mhs