History Made at TSSAA Spring Fling!

RHSfan

The Rockwood High School Tigers baseball team made history at the 2003 TSSAA Spring Fling by beating Friendship Christian, a private school. This feat, a public school beating a private school has not been accomplished at the state baseball tournament in several years.

Rockwood was the last remaining public school in the tournament before being ousted by Goodpasture.

Rockwood High School

2003 TSSAA Class A Public School State Baseball Champion

Congratuations Rockwood!

RHSfan

ps. Unfortunately, this catagory, 'Class A Public School State Baseball Championship' is not recognized by TSSAA.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But then we'd have add "Class A Small Public - Urban - Open Enrollment" because, after all, we need to find that "level" playing field.

soccerpro1,

The baseball teams remaining in the state single A tournament when Rockwood was ousted are great baseball teams. They are single A, they are private schools, and they are stronger teams than Rockwood. I applaud their efforts and their ability, but I will not stoop so low as to belittle a single one of them. You may think my post to start this thread was a joke. For your information, I was dead serious. To be the top single A public school in the tournament is a great accomplishment for our sutdents and athletes. I, for one, will give them the praise they deserve, even though the TSSAA (and some self righteous, arrogant private school supporters) won't. I find your remarks offensive, but don't worry too much about that because I will get over it.

Congratulations to a small public school which played hard and went as far as they could go.

RHSfan

I have a similar feeling for Sequatchie County's baseball team in 1995-96, when they finished third in the AA state tournament behind Brentwood Academy and ECS, a year before those teams went to Division II I believe. I think Whitwell and Lookout Valley each finshed second to Ezell-Harding in Class A softball about 10 years ago, I'd say their coaches still remember being the top public finisher in their class in those years. There are probably a lot more examples, especially when Brentwood Academy was playing small schools in every sport including football.

Nothing wrong with the way you are expressing it, and you can be justifiably proud of your team's accomplishments. Might it be better, however, to simply state that your team made the semifinals in a very tough class? I truly believe the over emphasis on being "number one" is what has split this state apart in terms of high school athletics.

Listen, folks...there is no shame in finishing second, or third or fourth, or whatever, as long as you play your best. I'd surely rather finish in the top four of a great class, than "win" in a watered down contest.

...but that's just me.

itzme,

Yeah, you probably are correct, but I thought it sounded better my way! :blink:

It is a very tough class and I make no excuses, the teams still in the tournament when Rockwood left are to be commended for putting together a great bunch of players and doing their job on the field. Congratulations to all the baseball players this season who played their hardest to go as far as they could go, no matter if your last game was in the districts, regionals, sectionals, or state.

RHSfan

I think Rockwood should be very proud but at the same time I don't think they got what they deserved. Once these private schools gets established as a great program in any sport, they draw the talent. Some people will tell you this is just a temporary thing , and the publics will be back on top in a year or so. This is the furthest thing from the truth. Its not like the publics are barely getting beat ,they are getting killed. The small privates are in a league of their own . Their olly competition is other private schools, get real.

I really believe the difference is the turnout that private schools get in sports compared with the itty bitty schools in rural areas. Enrollment means nothing if only 5 guys show up.

Look at that movie Hoosiers...they only had 6 guys on the team and if you are only going to have 6 guys on a team out of 64 boys in a school...it's going to be hard to beat anyone...instead of crying one could do a self examination and try and get more kids to play sports.

This is like a poor man saying it's not fair that I make money...so I have to give him my money so he won't be poor!

Everyone would say this is inherently unfair to one extent or the other...the poor man could start working, and when he becomes richer than me...I won't cry!

It's just a numbers thing baby!