Centennial?

napoleon8

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boneal

I think the point was more about the offensive side of the ball. No doubt Bates is a hitter and an emotional leader defensively, but in his sophomore year, he was also a key on the offensive side of the ball at QB. Was that purely do to injuries to Veach, and in '02 Veach was healthier?

What's your opinion on Centennials offensive strategy year in and year out to run the ball with a full backfield - seemingly regardless of what the talent may dictate. I supported the program for six frustrating years, hoping to see the playbook expanded a little.

Glad to see they had some success last year. Hopefully they can continue this year aghainst tougher opponents. (Except when they visit Franklin - my allegiance has moved based on younger children attending Franklin)

I see......well I think his sophomore year Al was injured alot more and that opened the door for Phillip, but also, there wasn't as much talent around him, so he was forced to do alot more. This past year, Tracy Beech was the main guy and the line was much improved and with Tommy Buchannan and Al Veach, Phillip didn't have to do as much. This next year I think that Phillip will be back in the mix offensively as he is the most dangerous weapon the Cougars have. He will be the go to guy this year, as Tracy was last year. And even more scary, Phillip has found out that he has a little break away speed. In the scrimmage against Blackman (who aren't exaclty slow pokes) he broked a few nice runs and pulled away from the defense. Team that up with his tenacious attitude and....well, I guess we'll see in August.

As for the playbook, that is Coach Gregory. He knows that in high school, you have to be able to run the ball. And when the talent is subpar, as it was in past years, there isn't much use in trying to open it up when you have kids who can't throw tossing it to recievers who can't run if they catch it. Not to mention that we never had a line who could protect for a passing game. So its more effective from a coaching standpoint to get kids to play out of their heads emotionally and give a great effort in a physical setting as opposed to just taking advantage of God given gifts. CHS hasn't had those gifts in the past but its coming around. Now they have a stout line, some speed in the backfield and they've already learned how to give that effort. It could be a bright time for the Cougars.

Thanks Boneal

My only issue with the playbook being so predictable - it made defensive preparation for the Cougars not much of a chore for the defensive coodinators. Practice week for the Cougars was primarily getting kids to focus on staying home, and focus on your individual assignment. Then it came down to physicallity and emotion. Personnaly I haven't seen a 16 - 18 year old boy who on friday night wasn't emotional and didn't try to be as physical as he could be! I just felt over the years, a little more creativity would have benefitted and complimented the heart of the Cougars.

Bneal52. How are these guys doing?

Marcelle Scales,Sherman Smith,The Bates kid,Shelton Powers,Sean Curruthers and Danny Reynolds

Tommy is going to UT. He wants to be a Lawyer one day.He loves it at UT.

I remember Powers dad. That guy was the biggest cheerleader. I know you guys had to hear him. He led the cheers in the crowd. He would get the cheerleaders fired up.

What was the guys name who would do flips before the games? He was very athletic.

Hope Centennial has a good season.

Edited by REBELRON

Well let's see....

Marcelle is one of the top sprinters in the country at MTSU and is hoping to make the Olympic squad some day. He's got a great shot at it.

Sherman is a cornerback at Miami Ohio. I believe he's got two more years left to play up there.

Bates is a working man now. He comes around to catch games and watch Phillip (little brother) as much as he can, but he spends most of his time at work. He's hard to catch.

Sheldon is also working. Last I saw him, he was working with his dad landscaping. Scott Powers landscaping in Franklin, TN if ya ever need work around here.

Sean is at UT, and should be graduating soon.

Danny is a sales rep and works with his older brother, traveling alot.

Overall, everyone is doing well.

And the guy who did all the flips was Michael Reynaga. He was a WR of ours, class of 2000 but aged out and played his senior year in 99. He was an unbelievable athlete and a stud WR. A tough guy.

• 4 weeks later...