Region 4-5A

JohnnyC

region4fan I dont know why he quit and yes he was a starter. I am posting all this because I hear it from most of my friends from Smyrna, some who play on the team. :rolleyes:

So with that being said does anybody think that Smyrna has a chance to make the playoffs?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

Yes, I think that Smyrna will go as #4 to the play-offs. You guys keep mentioning that Oakland has lost 3 years in a row to Riverdale and Lebanon. Well, Lebanon has never beaten Smyrna. In fact, Smyrna DRILLED them at Lebanon's house last year.I think the same thing will happen this year.

To JohnnyC and blsOL,

Riverdale hasn't lost a district game in quite some time now!! Can you guys recall the last time they have lost a district game!! They have also played in several State championships and won a few of them!! They do deserve respect.

Oakland hasn't beaten Riverdale or Lebanon in three years. That puts them second!! Oakland also can not lose to blackman or smyrna this year!! My boys have numbers returning, but little back-up. Must stay healthy and focused.

Smyrna has Wolke and Shannon. Wolke makes their recievers look good by just passing to them. They also have good speed. Shannon makes the line look good. I've been told they have many lineman back and Shannon runs hard.

Lebanon has A.J Stewart. Word is that they can make some noise. They do have good team speed. But they also lost some key incrediants from last year.

Lavergne is huge and have a great coach in Thomas. Other than that, don't know much about them. What are their skill people like and whhat kind of defense do they run.

Blackman lost several key players to graduation. They lost to Riverdale and lebanon pretty badly!!!! They beat some teams last year by getting lucky!!!! REAL LUCKY!!! Those teams will be looking for blood because they have numbers returning. Sorry, th truth hurts!!!!

Siegial has a great coach, but unlike Blackman. They don't have a year to prepare before playing. They should get one win at least.

Wilson Central has a new coach; is, another one. This year doesn't look better.

Sorry if I hurt someone's feelings, but th truth hurts a little!!!

I am not disputing your reasoning with Riverdale and Oakland, although I do feel the order will be reversed; Oakland in the number one spot followed by Riverdale. However, you said Smyrna has Wolke and Shannon. It's great that Wolke is a five star quarterback, and he makes his receivers look good, but his pass happy offense didn't necissarily work out last season, and I do not believe it will this season. Lebanon is the same thing, they have A.J. Stewart, but a team can't be a one man job. Talent at one position alone will not get you to the playoffs, and if it does then you will be knocked out early. LaVergne is huge. They have a great coach. Size though does not win games. It does not matter how good a coach is, if he has no talent at any position, and I have yet to read of any on this message board. Blackman has a senior quarterback who has been with the system for four years, and has a great arm. Emerson has a tailback who benches around 400 behind him, Kenny Merideth, he actually reminds me of Travis Henry when you look at him and talk to him, and a couple of fine receivers. Blackman also has a d-line that is capable of making plays, on top of an awesome linebacker corp. I don't know anything about our secondary to be honest, but I am sure that Alsup, also a great coach, will find some way to put talent into that position.

My philosophy: It takes a team to win games, not a couple of star players. With that in mind, my predictions are:

Oakland

Riverdale

Blackman

Lebanon

Smyrna

LaVergne

Siegel

Wilson Central

-JohnC

Well Said.

Oh, and Region4fan, the kid from riverdale that transferred was C.J Powell. He plays in the secondary. i think he is pretty good. i think he played some last year, because i remember that name for some reason. but aj looks to be comming along nicely. i think he'll be a great fullback, and he is also playing some linebacker, and from what i saw he looked pretty good.

shady04,yes brandon james did quit football at shs,and yes he was one of our starters.he had hands like glues.the reason he quit football was so he could pursue baseball for his senior year!oh and dont count smyrna's recievers out,they have old and young players stepping up at the wr spot.they can only get better with a quarterback the calibur of wolke.smyrna will make the playoffs.its an expectation every year.

Guest region4fan

Olineathlete, Thanks for the info on the new player.I can always count on you to be in the know. I think he is the same kid that was sitting in the stands at the Blue/White game. If so, he looked to be wiry and tall. Hopefully, he will be an asset to the team.Do you happen to know what position he plays?? If it is the same kid that I am thinking of, I think maybe a receiver or secondary??

It is great to have some input from Smyrna. How many kids do you have out this year for Varsity??

Olineathlete, Thanks for the info on the new player.I can always count on you to be in the know. I think he is the same kid that was sitting in the stands at the Blue/White game. If so, he looked to be wiry and tall. Hopefully, he will be an asset to the team.Do you happen to know what position he plays?? If it is the same kid that I am thinking of, I think maybe a receiver or secondary??

It is great to have some input from Smyrna. How many kids do you have out this year for Varsity??

Hey fan, he plays secondary. Well, thats what coach moose said tonight. i saw him at cracker barrel when i was leaving work. he said he plays corner back, but then he went back and said he plays anywhere in the 2ndary. i think we are pretty set at corner back with Daryl Frame and Los. and at strong safety austin burton is there. at free, ther is a sophomore, so he may get a look there. or Los could move back to rover(SS) and Austin to FS(thats where he played his soph. year i think) and C.J to corner. but i think he is supposed to be pretty good.

thtruth, why are you jumping all on my back. I didn't make any stupid predictions, all I said that it's too early to make any predictions. Your right, we were lucky to beat teams like Lincoln County and Oakland and take the lead on Riverdale-what are you smoking?

LUCKY, truth here is a little truth for you: Blackman 35 Lincoln Co. 9-26 points lucky, Blackman 27 Oakland 16-13 points lucky, Blackman 9 Smyrna 6-Wolke shoud have thrown a late touchdown. Blackman 10 Cookeville7-bad weather stopped our speed otherwise it would have been ugly. Don't be mad at us for being the #2 team in the region last year.

"THE GAS MAN"