BEST QB EVER IN EAST TENNESSEE

bamascott15

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AusDan,

In High school, Ingle was actually a great punter. He averaged well over 40 a punt as a three step punter, but after not punting at all his redshirt Frosh year, he was asked to fill in as a one step punter and well, we all know how that went.

As far as a QB, Inlge was fantastic. We used him more as a passer his junior year and more of a runner his senior year. In the Jacksonville Bolles game his junior year, he was under pressure and launched a 60 yard bomb off of his back foot and hit the receiver in stride in the end zone (unfortunately this receiver did not like the ball hitting him in the hands and he dropped it). As far as best ever, I think Ingle definately deserves to be mentioned in that category. He went 34-2 as a starter, losing both games his sophomore year.

Here are his credentials from gatorzone.com:

PREP: Considered one of the nation's top prep quarterbacks in 2000…Named to prestigious Parade All-America Team…Named to PrepStar's All-America DreamTeam and that publication ranked him among the nation's top dozen QBs…Ranked among the nation's top five prep QBs by National Bluechips…Ranked among the nation's top 20 QBs by Prep Football Report and among the nation's top 15 signal-callers by Unapproved Website…Named to SuperPrep's All-America team and that publication ranked him the top player in the state of Tennessee and among the nation's top 25 QBs…A two-time Division II Player of the Year in Tennessee…Led Montgomery Bell Academy in Nashville to three consecutive Tennessee state championships with 32 consecutive wins and final USA Today National Top 25 rankings in both 1999 and 2000… As a senior was 62-137 for 964 passing yards with seven TDs and also rushed for 935 yards…As a junior, 97-140 passing for 1,450 yards and 14 TDs…Was 6-of-9 on field goal attempts in 2000 with three field goals of better than 50 yards, including a school-record 56-yarder…Also visited Tennessee, LSU, Alabama and Virginia…High school coach was Ricky Bowers…

It leaves out that he was selected as an Elite 11 QB, and scored the highest in the camp as far as reading defenses.

Oh and sorry, i just realized that this thread is for East TN, but it took a while to write so there is no way i am deleting it :rolleyes:

Edited by Redtwin

Thanks for the info man, I knew he was good, but I had no idea about his stats or anything so I thought I would throw his name out there. I didn't realize that this thread was for east tennessee either. I wish we played MBA this year...I play for Knox Catholic...I enjoyed that game last year... we almost pulled it off.

Edited by AusDan

Beaver's a pro down in Madisonville or something. Anyhow, Steve Spurrier (as much as I hate to admit it) won a Heisman Trophy, how could he not be the best quarterback ever from East Tennessee?! Also, think about Jason Davis from Seymour, he had the best arm I've seen in a long, long time...yes, better than Mathews.

Better than Matthews? What do you mean by strongest arm, whoever can throw it as far as they can? Come on, get out of little league. He might have won a few long toss contests but Mathews made throws in high school that Davis couldn't comprehend. By the way, I've seen Mathews lob one about 75 yards.

Shane Kelley of Sevier County was the best quarterback I have watched in East Tennessee. Joey Matthews was good too.

Jason Phillips,Mike Phillips,Toki McCray and Ronnie Irwin of Maryville were good.

Andy Kelly of Rhea County was good.I never saw him play though.

Todd Helton was a great one at Central. I never saw him play though.

I saw Jerry Colquitt play and he was good.

The Bullock kid from Hixson was good.

Will Healy Impressed me a whole lot.

Mark Byrd is a good one.

Rebelron, you have come up with the most accurate and unbiased list yet. I agree, Shane Kelly has to be at the top the way he carried the Bears through the playoffs in 99. He is even better now at Carson Newman-check them out this fall.

yeah.....and we all saw what happened to him at UT...... :rolleyes:

yes, I saw what happened, he got his school paid for via football scholarship, got a little game experience, competed at arguably the best program in the country when he could have signed anywhere. Yes, I would say Joey has lived out almost everyone of these orange blooded boys' dreams by wearing orange. Big man, if you can be half as successful as Joey, more to you.

Shane Kelley of Sevier County was the best quarterback I have watched in East Tennessee. Joey Matthews was good too.

Jason Phillips,Mike Phillips,Toki McCray and Ronnie Irwin of Maryville were good.

Andy Kelly of Rhea County was good.I never saw him play though.

Todd Helton was a great one at Central. I never saw him play though.

I saw Jerry Colquitt play and he was good.

The Bullock kid from Hixson was good.

Will Healy Impressed me a whole lot.

Mark Byrd is a good one.

Rebelron, you have come up with the most accurate and unbiased list yet. I agree, Shane Kelly has to be at the top the way he carried the Bears through the playoffs in 99. He is even better now at Carson Newman-check them out this fall.

Shane Kelley carried that team to the championship. That Sevier County vs Glencliff game was one of the best games I ever saw. Shane had a great arm but he was most dangerous when he ran with the ball.