WEST TN TALK!

closavangoghh

When folks around rural west Tn speak of West TN we don`t have Memphis in mind. You can ask just about anyone on here from West TN (the rural part) and they don`t regard Memphis.

VG, one of the first posts I ever made on Coach T made that exact point. We rural West Tennesseans do not consider Memphis a part of West TN. We will gladly give Memphis to North Mississippi or Eastern Arkansas.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tombstone i dont guess you saw that george west got an honorable mention for player of the week. 9-14 286 yds and 3 tds. If we werent blwing them out he could have easily gotten well over 300 yards. Expect us to put the ball in the air more than that against huntingdon.

Well that is great for Mr. West. However, you must also consider that Huntingdon's first team only ran 13 plays in the first half against Bruceton and one series in the second half. Not really enough time to put up a lot of numbers. Huntingdon passed twice for two touchdowns but one was called back on a penalty, if the coaches had wanted to rack up a lot of numbers for the players it would not have been any trouble to do. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about who gets nominated for what, what matters is who get the victory. The Huntingdon-Milan game should be a great one to watch and I am looking forward to it.

Ohio State Legendary Coach (for all the young 'uns) Woody Hayes on Passing............

1. "There are three things that can happen when you pass, and two of them aren't good."

2. "Balanced offense? That's a bunch of unadulterated (bullcrap)"....when asked if he was going to start passing more in 1977.

3. "Passing must be complimentary to the running game and must show at least 50 percent consistency and a low interception rate."

4. "The name of the game is running."

5. "It's an even better running down.".....on second and short.

6. "There is just one little catch to all this ballyhoo: they ain't gonna throw it if they don't have it."..........on preparing for SMU, 1968

7. " I used to say that three things can happen on a forward pass, two of them bad. I don't say that anymore, because I found out four things can happen on a forward pass. The fourth thing is, you can get fired."

Edited by dcw

Ohio State Legendary Coach (for all the young 'uns) Woody Hayes on Passing............

1. "There are three things that can happen when you pass, and two of them aren't good."

2. "Balanced offense? That's a bunch of unadulterated (bullcrap)"....when asked if he was going to start passing more in 1977.

3. "Passing must be complimentary to the running game and must show at least 50 percent consistency and a low interception rate."

4. "The name of the game is running."

5. "It's an even better running down.".....on second and short.

6. "There is just one little catch to all this ballyhoo: they ain't gonna throw it if they don't have it."..........on preparing for SMU, 1968

7. " I used to say that three things can happen on a forward pass, two of them bad. I don't say that anymore, because I found out four things can happen on a forward pass. The fourth thing is, you can get fired."

Man,catch up with the times.The days of 3 yards and a cloud of dust are over.Passing is the way to go.

I hear ya VG and on that point you very well may be right. JCM is right up there. I just personally don't see any big difference between Memphis and West Tn but you make a valid point. No offense taken.:) But you'll have forgive me if I do chime in when West Tn is discussed..lol

btw....In my mention of West Tn teams with success I failed to give some teams their props. 1st of all, JCM has made appearances in the state final in 1976 and 1979 when ya'll played 3A ball. Haywood was a state runner-up in 1994 and 1995. Covington a state runner up in 1971(2A) and 2000(3A).Union City came up just short in the 2A state finals in 1997 and 2000. Milan is always tough and boasts sate championships 1971,1977,1991(2A), and 1999(3A). Teams like Obion Co. Central and Westview are coming off good 2002 seasons and until recently the Munford Cougars have had a great program. All that said just give cerdit to some other(non-Memphis) West Tn programs. B) These are only a few but just to show what you already know.....there are indeed some very tough and talented teams out there.

Good luck to all you guys. Take care

Edited by Pantherbert

1.  "There are three things that can happen when you pass, and two of them aren't good."

2.  "Balanced offense? That's a bunch of unadulterated (bullcrap)"....when asked if he was going to start passing more in 1977.

3.  "Passing must be complimentary to the running game and must show at least 50 percent consistency and a low interception rate."

4.  "The name of the game is running."

5.  "It's an even better running down.".....on second and short.

6.  "There is just one little catch to all this ballyhoo: they ain't gonna throw it if they don't have it."..........on preparing for SMU, 1968

7.  " I used to say that three things can happen on a forward pass, two of them bad.  I don't say that anymore, because I found out four things can happen on a forward pass.  The fourth thing is, you can get fired."

Man,catch up with the times.The days of 3 yards and a cloud of dust are over.Passing is the way to go.

Obviously this board needs a lot more comments from "older people".

Some things don't change and this is one of them.. If a team doesn't have a successful running game, they don't win very often, especially against the good teams. Always exceptions, but not the norm.

How is Covington this year? How come there is such a dropoff on decent teams in each region after 2-3 teams. Is it lack of numbers? I am referring to 2a and 3a.

Covington struggled on Special teams against Germantown. They allowed 3 second quarter touchdowns off punts, two were blocked and one was returned for a touchdown. Without the lapses in Specil Teams the score would have been 10-7 G-Town but Covington cant play on "would have's", they only had like 50 yards of total offense. Their only touchdown was a Michael Grandberry kickoff return that went for 100 yards. Their offensive line is new and after wins against Haywood and rival Brighton they seem to be putting all the pieces together and getting better every week. They still have tough games against Milan and Ripley which is a region game. They also lost starting RB/DB Delance Ivy to a broken ankle in the Germantown game and starting linebacker John Paul Rose to a neck injury. Both of these guys are juniors but they will miss the entire season. We'll see how the chargers come together as a team during the course of the season.