What Makes HS Football Great

Guest Oakland

What makes high school football great??

CoachT.com makes high school football great!!! Honestly, there are few more exciting experiences for the diehard HS football fan than sitting in front of the computer on late friday nights and hitting the refresh button every 20 seconds!! Come on, you know you do it... :D

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Maryville it is seeing old friends. Seeing my friends that post on coachT.

Watching the Rebels warm up. Seeing the kids drive up in their vehicles waving those flags. Watching the kids play that you have watched since PEE WEES. Listening to the band play. Smell the smell of hot dogs,pizza,cigar smoke and hamburgers on a grill. Watching the players file out of the dressing room with their game face on. Watching the players run on the field,the band playing the fight song and hearing Greg Judkins say "Here are your back to back to back 4A state champions"

John Paul has a point. If the good lord wanted me to choose between the Vols winning a National title in college football or the Maryville Rebels winning another state title I would have to go with the Maryville Rebels. I love the Vols but not like I do the Rebels.That is why 1998 was special. Both my teams won championships that year.

Wes Vols, I do it also. Great posts by everyone.

Edited by REBELRON

RebelRon, that sounds about right. Its so great because well its kinda like getting together with all your friends to watch something pure. People have pure pride for their school, county, and city and they are laying that on the line in a clean, yet brutal manner. College football comes close, but the scale college is on is too big. Pro, no where near the intensity. These kids are playing to prove to their friends they can play, and to make their futures better, not for money, or for fame, but for the fun of it. Seeing the kids you know, the kids you can talk to without being watched by a handful of policemen. The kids you see everyday, out there giving it their all to prove that their high school is the best dang high school in the state. Thats why its so great, and I hope it always stays as great!

Not to wax poetic but I think Football is so great because it requires the greatest amount of sacrifice - not just time and effort like other sports, but blood and pain and even pride in one's self have to be sacrificed for the good of the team. It is by far the best sport I have coached for making men out of boys and better men out of its coaches.

Plus its just dang fun to watch :rolleyes: !!!

Just some thoughts, observations and random babling opinions on why it's GREAT!!

General tradition of the sport of football: two teams (armies) battling it out, the use of tactics, strategies, cunning and brute force to achieve a victory. Something that's stood the historical test of time since man first had the desire to possess the top spot or lead role in a group....everyone (team) wants to be or be associated with number one. Everyone wants to identify with #1. #1 gets the glory, appreciation, applause, rewards and the satisfaction. High School Football achieves this for their respective communities i.e. team, student body, local community, county, region as well as the individual player, coach, parent or fan.

Where else can one legally enguage in both mental and physical "friendly" battle?

High School Football take's one on a seasonal roller coaster ride. It's a stress relief for everyone, it's inexpensive, fun, challenging, exciting, heartbreaking, emotional, dangerous, educational, exhausting, builds character, teaches responsabillity, builds men and it's one of the greatest things since sliced bread.

Does not matter who, when (historically) or where you are, YOU always want to be on top, the "lead dog". The lead dog is the only one with a change of scenery.

When you have proved yourself and ARE lucky and skilled enough to be in that top spot, defence becomes key. Holding on to that position, defending against the "slings and arrows" and keeping the wolves at bay becomes top priority and more difficult with each game. "Who will knock off #1?" this becomes the new challenge and keeps the sport exciting.

It's just fun to watch "live and inperson" at any stadium. GO to the games.

Okay, that's enough....now what happened to suzie? :lol::lol:

Edited by mapperman