Warren County Football

secretagentman

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, here's the story I have heard....

Coach says something to player after he misses a tackle, player cusses coach, coach grabs player and pulls him off the field, player doesn't play in the 2nd half, after game father of player (also booster club president) voices his problems to coaches, coach still facing problems for pulling player by shoulder pads off of the field.

Anyone know anything else about this situation, please let us know.

No, I don't think the Pioneers will win a game this year. (This is not a shot at anyone, I know you guys are working hard, just a prediction) However, they do have a lot of young talent all over the field if they can just keep them all playing.

Okay I have heard that i just did not know if anything else had happened. If the player cussed the coach then the player needs to be dismissed from the team. Has anything happened to the coach? Was it the head coach or one of his assistant? Also it should not matter who the kids dad is, if he did something wrong then he should be punished for that matter.

Amen. These kids think they can run the team, nowadays. True, thay can quit in the drop of a hat, but if one of the players had cussed Coaches Ray Barnes, Pedro Paz, Bobby Newby or Ed Cantrell that person would have been kicked off right then and there and then had to deal with his teammates, not the coaches. No respect these days for coaches. By the way, where have you been Rastabob??? I've missed you.

The coach in question is a great guy and coach. The situation in Warren Co. is pathetic. The only way for it to turn around is for bad attitudes to be booted and see if the coaches can cultivate talent as well as a winning attitude in the younger kids who want to play. The coach should have thrown the kid to his dad when the boy cussed him. The coach could have. LOL

Seems like to me that kind of coach is exactly what WC needs at this point in their program.

My question is why is this situation getting the press and attention it has received. There is no doubt this young man should have been punished for what he did in cursing a coach. If the dad cant handle his son being sat on the bench for a 1/2 of football because then dont come and watch. Parents need to be just that parents. Leave the coaching to the coaches. No teenager with any respect would curse their coach. No respect for authority should have been the headline in paper. Don't even discuss the situation with the parent on the field. With the parent wanted a meeting fine, but this just causes more problems when the newspaper has a photo of parent and coach along with player discussing the situation. No wonder the pioneers cant ever get ahead. They are too busy chasing their tails. As for the asst. coach I commend you for standing up to this player.

Unless there was a specific team rule about this issue, I don`t think I would kick him off. I`d suspend him for a game or two and give him a chance to comeback. I`d say the kid was probably frustrated. Let him learn his lesson and rejoin the team.

I have no idea as to how the Warren County coaches conduct themselves, but a lot of coaches cuss at their players, Coaches should act like they want their players to act.

I would have to agree with everyone else about the player getting kicked off but why did the Southern Standard make a big write up about it? Must have been another slow night for the sports writers of the Standard.

To answer your question, Saturday morning we were instructed to make mention of the postgame incident in Sunday editions. The word had already gotten to our bosses about the "big postgame conflict." How much mention we made was a call that was left up to me.

But by lunchtime, rumors were flying that described everything from a screaming match on the sidelines to a near fistfight. Someone even came to me with the comment "I heard one of the coaches tackled some kid on the sideline."

That's why I opted to run what I did, with the photo I ran accompanying it. Because that's what happened -- a parent, a player and some coaches, on the field, arguing. No fisticuffs, no shoving, no nothing. Just arguing -- on the field, in front of everybody.

Keep in mind, however. If this parent had expressed his opinion to the coaches with a phone call, or even with a trip to the locker room -- instead of coming out of the stands at the final horn of the game and jumping in people's faces in full view of everyone in the stadium -- none of us would be talking (or writing) about any of it.

Fortunately, these kinds of incidents will end once the Pioneers start winning.

Unfortunately, that may be a long time from now.