Charging a fee to park at a High School Game?

WHHS1975

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Paying for parking at a high school football game? What a load of guano! It's bad enough that we feel we've seen the proctologist after paying confiscatory gate admission."

( placing soapbox on ground, stepping up... )

Sometimes I just shake my head.

There are several officials on the field that need to be paid. There are expenses involved in putting on the event.

What a lot of people don't seem to understand is that in MOST school systems sports and most other after school activities get ZERO tax dollars of support. NADA - ZIP!

You should see the look on incoming freshman parents' faces when they get a literal laundry list of things THEY have to purchase for their kids to participate.

And those folks working that confiscatory gate and those concessions stands are doing it on their own time.

I agree with an earlier post. Forget grumbling about spending (donating) a dollar or two. Break open the checkbook and become a 'gold' or 'blue' or whatever color member a $100.00 donation gets ya into the booster club.

And as far as an R.O.T.C. or a Drama Club or Beta Club asking for a $1.00 or $2.00 donation to help in the parking lot, remember, that is $1.00 or $2.00 less magazines or donuts or candybars they have to sell.... ok???

( stepping down from soapbox now )

in actuality public schools cannot charge an Fee to park on public grounds... they must call it a donation adn cannot force you to pay it... you can park on a public schools campus for free if you do not wish to pay this "donation" to park... its the law.. they cannot make you pay

Your statement is correct only within the "normal hours of school operation." Football games and other extra-curricular activities do not fall under this statute. High schools that charge to park are still in the minority within the state of Tennessee--but if a school decides to do it, they are within their "legal rights" to do so.

Hey boyz!

No schools in Blount, Sevier, or Loudon County currently charge to park that I am aware of. Soddy Daisy does ask for a donation (not really optional) for their ROTC program.

This is a good way for non-revenue sports to put some money in their accounts. It will not be too long...another prediction...before all schools are charging (donation) to park.

Like most of the posters have said...it is a good thing and goes directly back into the program.

The thing that concerns me is...if you pay or donate to park, is the county or school then liable if something happens to your car?

One other problem I see, is that my mighty Red Rebels will get screwed on this because a great deal of their parking is on the local streets. Plus at Maryville you can never be too careful about cash money being taken up, because you never know who has their hand in the till! I mean from the Principal on down!

Love you boyz!

:)

Could I borrow your soapbox?

If we are to pay for parking at high school football games, why is it that we don't pay for parking at the baseball or soccer games? Aren't there umps and refs for those that have to get paid? I was under the impression that they got paid from fees (paid by the schools) to TSSAA? Of course then, there ARE times when I think the winning team may be chipping in. :)

You know it's not the $5.00 at the gate that gets me, except when a five year old that cares nothing about the game but HAD to come with the parent gets charged adult price too. IF we are going to charge to park (for whatever club) then why not set a staggered price on admissions...like $5 for adults and high school students, and $3 for kids under 10? I realize it would be hard to verify ages, but most people are generally honest about those things. Just think, as it is now it cost $25 for a couple to take three children to a ballgame. That MAY be why attendance is low at some gates.

And as far as writing a check to a booster club, have you paid for football gear lately? By the time that check is written, I am a BOOSTER.

Here's your soapbox...thanks.

Edited by SuperBowlDream

Some schools charge $35.00 for reserved seats and an additional $25.00 for a parking pass. A person must be a member of the booster club and purchase 2 season tickets in order to purchase 1 parking pass. The school has a police officer patrol the parking lot and stops trafic to allow the parking pass patrons to exit the game before everyone else after the game.

I don't mind the $2 to park, but I think it should be everywhere or nowhere.

And, I was back to Beech tonight for a JV game and they turned the field lights off while the boys were shaking hands on the field, and people had to feel their way out of the stands.

Edited by OLEGUY

Cookeville charges to park next to the visitors side but not the home side. Kind of tacky. So if you go to Cookeville, park in the lot behind the school, walk to the stadium and move you car to the parking lot next to the bleachers during the half. They dont charge after the half and you get to stretch you legs. :D