Soccer Officials?

algpita

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the officials seem to be worse this year or is it just me? I know they can't see everything however call the obvious. It is really sad when the official on the other side of the field has to make a call that was within a few feet of the other. I know if I don't like it go and take the class. I would, however I'm concerned I'll get stuck all the time with the ones who are afraid to make calls. I know, I know, stop complaining. Over all Chattanooga has good officials, I just seem to keep seeing the same four or five this year who are missing a lot of calls. I agree let em play, however keep control of the game, and the sidelines..........

Politics plays a big role in influencing how officials conduct themselves. When officials expel coaches from certain schools, the TSSAA, while enforcing the fines and suspensions, often allows the offending schools to blackball the official as a petty way of getting back at the official for having to dole out $250 after their appeal gets tossed out.

In dealing with some schools, it is no win situation. The referee is left with the choice of either enforcing rules of the game and risk getting blackballed or staying under the radar screen by being selective in calls and carding in order to keep his or her assignments.

There is plenty of good soccer in Middle Tennessee and beyond and people are always looking for officials. Before I moved out Tennessee, I decided to cut down on my high school assignments so I could referee more Nashville Hispanic League games and men’s league games up in Bowling Green. This enabled me to get my game count up and I eventually upgraded to the next USSF referee level.

We have a couple of good refs here in chatt. but alot have been blowing the calls. At least 3 games I have been to the refs have not done very well. I was a ref for 3 years, and while I didnt progress up to very big games...I felt that i could keep control of those 8 yr olds and at least get the throw-in calls right! But you just never know with these refs. I even admitt Knoxville has the best refs. Now those soccer fans with the ref shirts on!!! man those kids have game. Go owls!

A coach or an AD and make a request to a regional assignor not to senda certain referee(s) to officiate there games. Some assignors will go along with the request while others would tell the coach or AD to drop dead. There are also schools that are blackballed or blacklisted by officials for a variety of reasons (i.e., game fee is not paid up-front and the school only mails out the check after a compliant has been filed with the TSSAA by the referee). There are two schools in Nashville that are known for not paying officials on time and often they cut a check for the wrong amount (I also had a check bounce). I told my assignor that it isn't worth the aggravation to deal with those schools, and I asked him if he could send me somewhere else or not use me at all for that night.

No matter how much you yell or get upset about the refs its not going to change. Making them mad by yelling is just goin to get it worse. Sit back an relax and let the girls play! Let the coaches deal with it. Being a player and everything.... parents yelling just makes me get mad at the parents. If its something that needs to be yelled at or talked to about the captain or coach will deal with it. The girls need to just play the game and the parents need to encourage. The one new rule that I am having problems understanding is..... does anyone know why they changed the rule about the shinguards? the have to be I THINK 2 inches from your cleat or something!

I was up at hixson cheering the other night and I think I Yelled "Red ball" or "Come on ref," and turn and walked over the stands and started yelling at me about how he would eject me...This was all taking place WHILE THE BALL WAS IN PLAY. What an idiot. He yelled at me again when i said, "AWwwww, let em play" later in the game. The guy was a real power freak. I'm just glad that I wasn't on the field that game because there's no doubt he would have tried to card me into oblivion.

It's refs like that that I wish could be blackballed right out of the Chattanooga area. I will talk to our coach and find out how we pay the refs because from the performances I've seen, it looks as tho the other team is the one paying them.