Soccer Officials?

algpita

Redrage:

I was a varsity basketball official too in Nashville. I have no problem when people criticized the calls I made. I’ve been in gyms where according the referees in the stands, half of my calls were wrong. It's a part of the game. If did have skin as thick as an elephant, I would have hung my whistle up a long time ago.

I also refereed a few "football matches" in Scotland, where there is a different standard of behavior towards the referees. In some cases, things have gotten out of control, especially during Old Firm fixtures (Celtic v. Rangers). The only difference is that the officials are 100% supported by the SFA and the police, if need be. In Tennessee, I've seen players spit at referees and nothing happened. I've seen parents run on to the field and attack referees and nothing happened. I've had a coach follow me to my car and put his hands on me and nothing happened. And if some sanction does come down, it's always appealed and everyone goes about their business like nothing happened.

The only league in Nashville that supported the referees and took serious action against individuals who assaulted referees was the Nashville Hispanic League. Which, in terms of skill level, is the best league in Nashville. I guess it because they have better appreciation of the game.

Inviting someone to become a soccer referee is NOT a poor excuse Redrage. Saying what you posted is nothing more than a cheap cop out. If you can to better job than the man in the middle, go out and prove it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FTCOS,

We both agree that the fans can get out of control unnecessarily. Sometimes it is a direct result of an official losing control of the game, again by NOT blowing the whistle. There have been many instances where they will hide behind the advantage rule as a reason for not blowing the whistle. Fine, but go back and caution or card the offending party. It's a simple matter of managing but not dictating the style of play and outcome of the game.

The culture abroad towards officials is way better than in the U.S. (How the fans treat their players after a loss is a different story). There is nothing better as a player and coach than having a well called game and unlike some of the posters here I believe that the good ones outweigh the bad.

Any input on who the top 3 high school referees are and what part of the state they are in?

OFFICIALS SHOULD CONTROL THE GAME ON THE FIELD! THEY SHOULD NOT BE CONCERNED WITH THE FANS IN THE STANDS. IN MANY CASES THE OFFICIALS INCITE THE FANS BY THEIR DICTATORIAL BEHAVIOR. CALL IT WHAT YOU LIKE BUT WHEN AN OFFICIAL COMES OVER TO THE STANDS AND TELLS A FAN TO SHUT UP HE IS OUT OF LINE. I HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN THREE TIMES THIS YEAR. WHEN OFFICIALS BEHAVE IN THIS MANNER THEY ARE ASKING FOR A CONFORTATION.

wjr

I don't know who are the top soccer officials are in Tennessee, and as rule of thumb I would never criticize another official. One way to gauge officiating in Tennessee is look at the distribution of USSF referee grade levels. I just got upgraded to a 7 and I am about half way into my game count to apply to get upgraded to a 6. However, being a 7 does not mean I am better than an 8 or worse than a 6. I've worked with some 8s, 7s, and 6s, that could easily referee higher-level games but chose not to upgrade because of the hassle involved with the paper work, arranging the assessments, and attending the upgrade clinic.

Be that as that may, of the 1,949 registered referees in 2001, there was only one grade 1 national referee (Level 3). Over 90% of the registered referees in Tennessee were a grade 8 while 83% of registered referees in all other associations were a grade 8. You can go the URL below and see how Tennessee compares to rest of the state associations for 2001.

http://dps.altdc3.va.twimm.net/USSF/doc/co...nt/doc_6_62.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

We refs aren't perfect but we try, and we could be better. The instances of preferential treatment are rare to non-existant, in my experience. I do have one thought:

Let us all pressure TSSAA to elect to use FIFA rules instead of NHSF rules as we currently do. That would let us use USSF refs instead of TSSAA refs and would expand the pool of refs available for each game. USSF does not allow the "double" ref system and I am all for that! With two kids playing HS ball I want the official in position to control the game all the time. Lots of refs are double certified but some aren't. USSF tends to have a higher experience and assessment level, but I won't pursue the TSSA vs. USSF beyond that. All of the kids play FIFA year round except for Highschool. Why change then?

The TSSAA meeting is in November. Coaches, call your representative!

As an official and a coach, there is one rule in High School that I like better than FIFA. Mainly, I like the injury rule where if a team has the ball you can stop play and allow them to maintain possession with an indirect kick instead of a drop ball. I hate drop ball situations and if FIFA would adopt something like that, then I could go with the same rules.

I need to get back into officiating. I haven't been one since I moved back to Chattanooga. I would rather officiate under the TSSAA than under the TSSA or USSF. When calling a U-19 game under the USSF, a referee is taking his life into his hands. If there are probems during a NFHS match, the state orginazation (TSSAA, GHSA, etc...) will back an official (at some schools, that's huge)

i think the officials stink .. every once in a while they can make a decent call, but the majority of the time, NO ... at the district championship between mcminn central and grace, it was almost the end of the 1st half, central was kicking b/c of a foul, the ball slips through the grace's goalies hands and the refs blow the whistle for the half to be over so a player off of graces team grabs the ball before it even hits the ground ... no point for central ... pretty sure they CANT do that ... even I know that ... whatever B)

CmAn01,

While I will agree that the overall officiating in Tennessee is not as up to par as it should be, the instance you refer to was the correct call. In soccer, there is no such thing as a continuation rule. If the whistle blows, that is the end of the half or game and no goal can be scored at that time. However, the ref can add extra time if he or she desires. In this case, it appears that the ref should have allowed a couple more seconds to see if the ball would go into the net. But, he did not and the whistle was blown; hence, end of the half and no goal. I hope this clarifies the situation.

As an official and a coach, there is one rule in High School that I like better than FIFA.  Mainly, I like the injury rule where if a team has the ball you can stop play and allow them to maintain possession with an indirect kick instead of a drop ball.  I hate drop ball situations and if FIFA would adopt something like that, then I could go with the same rules.

That is where gamesmanship comes into play. If one team sees that another is hurt, they will play the ball out of bounds. The injured team will then throw the ball to the other team's defense and allow them the clear...at least, this is what teams with class. I have played at (my school) for 3 years now and when I first saw this as a Freshman, i had no clue what was going on. It's how things are done here, if more schools showed the type of class, USSF rules wouldn't be a problem.

Edited by OldSkoolBalla