Soccer Officials?

algpita

I have to agree with IN2VOLS, the kids on the sideline with ref shirts on are awesome!! Those kids are better referees than the TSSAA referees. No, but seriously, I recently played the the US youth soccer southern regionals in North Carolina, that is how referees should call the play. TSSAA referees do not even compare to the referees in natioal competition. TSSAA referees need improvment.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally.....I think soccer officials are jerks and have an elitist attitude. And I just don't understand why? Aren't they there to just officiate a simple little game of organized kickball????

You can NEVER - EVER ask a soccer official a simple question without the threat of a yellow card. And even if you are a non-participant (fan/parent) - I have seen them threaten to have a person removed from the premises.

Can you imagine those same cowards having to officiate a game where the participants, coaches, and fans are allowed to disagree with them (basketball, football, baseball, softball, foosball, basketweaving, etc.)?????? No wonder those pansies wear pink and yellow shirts with black socks to their knees and wave flags in the air!!!!!!

So fine:

You are right on target. Soccer officials are defensive and arrogant. I have witnessed on several ocassions officials stopping the game and walking over to the stands and telling fans to shut up because they disagreed with a call. If these guys had to call a basketball game or footbal game they would throw everyone out. They have a hard enough time controling the game on the field much less try to control what is going on in the stands. Also the game has become far to physical. The officials are allowing non skilled players to control the game with physical play. Most of the games I have witnessed the most physical team won not the most skilled. Isn't soccer suppose to emphasis speed, foot skills, and agility. It is difficult to demonstrate this when you are being knocked to the ground, held by the jersey, or in many cases worse. The officials have to get contol of physical play and leave the fans alone. Officials that are respected are the ones that manage the game.

"Also the game has become far to physical. The officials are allowing non skilled players to control the game with physical play. Most of the games I have witnessed the most physical team won not the most skilled. Isn't soccer suppose to emphasis speed, foot skills, and agility?"

Well stated Redrage. I don't usually crack on officials but the weaker ones won't blow the whistle and the integrity of the game suffers as a result. How many games have you been to where the fans have walked away saying, "boy, that referee called too many fouls!" Answer = none.

So what's stopping you from becoming an official. If you can talk the talk, can you walk the walk?

Been there, done that, and do many other things related to the sport. All I'm saying is BLOW THE WHISTLE FTCOS! The 90% of officials that do, have my respect. The 10% that don't should stay away from the game.

wjr & redrage - thanks for backing me up. After I posted my initial response, I was afraid that I might get a red-card from the moderator of this page!!!! ;)

I agree with everything both of you have said...espeically the respect and aggressive issues. In my opinion, it seems that the 10% of officials that wjr mentioned is growing.

Ftcos:

Why is it when someone is critical of officials that the first reponse in their defense is "why don't you become an official". This doesn't excuse poor soccer officials who refuse to call obvious fouls where skilled players are knocked off of the ball by unskilled bruts. This doesn't excuse rabbit ear officials who insist on yelling at fans; who they should ignore so they can focus on what is happening on the field. I have officiated basketball for 30 + years so I have been in gyms where ever call I made was wrong to at least half of the fans but I stay focused on the game and have never confronted people in the stands. Even though the game is becoming more physical I never allow a physical player to control a skilled player by using brut force. My suggestion is for soccer officials to get contol of the game early then you can allow the players to decide the game late. Ignore the fans and focus on the game. And for all of you that have rabbit ears get some ear plugs or get off the field.