Artificial Noisemakers

Duckbutterbandit

Heres an artificial noise maker for ya. Collinwood played Loretto 1st game and they had the National Guard there with a canon as big as a tank. They fired it when Loretto scored .I personally almost passed out. I have never seen that many people move so quickly. Bad thing is, they fired after the other TD and nobody saw it coming .Again I almost hurt myself getting down. So heres a tip to anyone playing at Loretto. If they score,be prepared for the worst.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there are bands, why is there music being played over the speakers?

It's OK for the band to play between plays (quick snippets like many college bands do), but if they're just playing a song with no regard to the game than they're just as much a distraction as a yelling P-A Person.

That is a very good question! At Brentwood last year in the quarterfinals, they played music over the speakers and they had their band there. I understood it the week before when the band was at a nat'l competition but it's not needed when your band is there and when the opposition is offense! I guess the crowd drowned it out though didn't have an affect on the players. I know I didn't like it though.

I've never really had a problem with bands playing a song while the ball is in play. I've just always accpeted that as part of the Friday night atmosphere. However, at Henry County, their director would keep an eye on the field and as soon as the offense broke the huddle, he stopped them... and they'd pick right back up as soon as the play was over. I really liked this and thought it was very classy.

Riverdale likes to use artificial noisemakers to distract opposing teams. Such as air horns and cow bells. In college the fans can be penalized. What's the rule in High School? Air horns could be mistaken for a refree's whistle and could cause a player to get injured.

Whew, I know that's right about the cowbells at Riverdale, they wore us out with them last Friday night, along with airhorns. Being on the home side in the pressbox with the windows open. I've had several people tell me they could hear them over the radio broadcast. I thought that I was at a Mississippi State game there for a while. :lol:

Statman, I just loved the way that Lincoln Co. kept the PA anouncer quiet for most of the night and he can be very obnoxous and they turned the lights out so fast we barly had time to get out of there. The scoreboard went off imediately, nobody was going to get a picture of visitor having more points than Riverdale. How sweet it was!!!

Statman,  I just loved the way that Lincoln Co. kept the PA anouncer quiet for most of the night and he can be very obnoxous and they turned the lights out so fast we barly had time to get out of there.  The scoreboard went off imediately, nobody was going to get a picture of visitor having more points than Riverdale.  How sweet it was!!!

Yeah, your'e right, and the thing that kinda ticked me off was the fact that when L.C. scored a couple of times he said nothing over the P.A. But let the Warriors score, or even get a first down, and he was screaming at the top of his lungs. I think that he is trying to attract more attention to himself than the game. I know that about 2 or 3 minutes after the game I looked at the scoreboard and it was already off. :lol:

If I read the rules correctly, you're not supposed to use any cannons or pyro at TSSAA games.

I didnt know that at the time, but I wouldnt have cared anyway, after the panic settled down :angry: it was pretty hilarious :huh: . I wouldnt want to get them in trouble :lol: , hey they only got to shoot it after two TDs and a PAT. Everyone got a kick out of it after order was restored and the smoke cleared. :lol:

When I was in high school back in Texas (mid-70's) they fired off fireworks for every TD. I think they have since outlawed that for some reason. I see no problem with celebrations as long is it is not done during the action. The train whistle at Portland and all of those schools that play music through the P.A.'s can be a huge distraction DURING GAME PLAY. Air horns are very different... because they can distract a player and this can cause injuries.