Artificial Noisemakers

Duckbutterbandit

splainshornet, that's exactly what I was thinking. Confusing an air horn with a ref's whistle indicates a hearing problem.

Splains, I agree it doesn't sound anything like a whistle, but a lot of teams use an air horn to end the quarter/half/game, or something that sounds very similiar. So, for that reason, I agree with the ban.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your also not supposed to talk or play music over the P.A. System while the ball is in play but some announcers don't know the rules and they talk through plays and play music like a D.J. or radio announcer. It's a huge distraction for both players and coaches. Some teams even have music played when the other team is on offense!!! I think it's okay for bands to play, but turn the P.A. off when the ball is in play! That's the rule and it has been for over a decade!

There is no rule for artificial noise makers at a Football game except fireworks. There are to be no artificial noise makers at a basketball game. Marshall County has been ridiculed for years for a horn. The first school I ever knew of having a horn/whistle was Marion County, we played them in the Cinic Bowl in 84 and they had a steam whistle, so they have been around for a while.

Nothing "ARTIFICIAL" about it. Oak Ridge fans had cowbells Friday night at the OR-DB game and it was very loud and real noise!!! Big Bands, lots of fans, lots of noise, and two great teams...it was fantastic! What a great atmosphere,

Riverdale had them last year in the Semi Final game and they were loud then too. Just adds to the hype.

As for fireworks, Campbell County had a great fireworks show last year as their team entered the field, better than a lot of July 4 celebrations I've seen. I didn't know it was against TSSAA ruls but somebody better tell them! I personally found it to be a fun touch too.

I guess a big loud horn during a play might adversly effect a game but I feel if it adds to the hype and the fun of a game, then bring it on!

Maybe the line ought to be drawn at whether the noise is intended to support and cheer for YOUR team vs. to distract or confuse the players in general.

Interesting topic, I haven't encountered any "ARTIFICIAL" noise yet, not real sure what that is?????

If you attended the rules meeting three years ago when this came up at the national level, you would know that coaches can stop play and ask the referee to contact the game administrator about air horns and loud noise makers. The same can be done about "Too much chatter" or music being played over the home team's P.A. system. What is supposed to happen is that an announcement is to be made on the P.A. and the game cannot resume until the matter is settled. I have only seen it done twice in the past few years.

P-A people should stick to the basics. Down and distance, who made the run/catch, and who made the tackle. The only place there should be any partiality allowed would be during the starting lineups where I think the P-A person can pump up the level for the home team.

If there are bands, why is there music being played over the speakers?

It's OK for the band to play between plays (quick snippets like many college bands do), but if they're just playing a song with no regard to the game than they're just as much a distraction as a yelling P-A Person.

Just some peeve-lets accumulated from MANY years of going to HS football games in 3 different states.