Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i was a sophmore on the team with spradlin . he was way , way before his time . he was a top 5 parade all american in 1976 , if someone today had his athletic ability , quickness , strength , speed and size , they too would be a parade all american , no doubt . the intimidation factor he brought to the other team was amazing . there's no doubt in my mind that DANNY SPRADLIN is the best player to ever step on MARYVILLE'S football field .

For argument's sake i will throw another name out here. Tommy Beaver who graduated in 1971. He was the QB on the first state championship team maryville had after the playoff format was instituted. In his varsity years in addition to QB he played receiver, running back, returned kicks, punts and played some DB as well and excelled at all of them. He also played basketball and baseball and the last I heard he was a golf pro somewhere in Georgia. Outstanding all around athlete. Spradlin has probably had more tools than anyone but because of that i think it effected his work ethic at times and he did not go all out all the time. I think that hurt him once he got to the pros. He was a great player though.

Guest cneagles

If I am not mistaken Danny Spradlin got caught with steriods in the early 90's. Thta was one of the reason the Dallas Cowboys cut him. Doesn't this diminish his accomplishments? I think so. A lot of great players have played on that field and they did it fairly.

Not sure about the steroids but he was long out of pro ball by the early 90's. I think the Cowboys finally gave up on him. When they drafted him they had him penciled in to replace Bob Breunig at linebacker but that never worked out. I don't think he was ever able to completely pick up Landry's flex defense. He went on to play for the Buccaneers and Cardinals after that.

Guest cneagles

I know he was on the team the year of the strike. I thought he got kicked out of NFL for substance abuse. Maybe I am wrong but I could have sworn it was a big deal when I was in high school

Just to set the record straight...Danny was not CUT by any team....He played for the Cowboys 1981 - 1983 and was TRADED to Tampa Bay in 1984. He played there in 84 and 85 and was TRADED to the Rams in 1986...He suffered a lower back injury that season which ended his time in the pros...He has six years service in the pros and will draw a pension when he desires to start collecting it.

True Danny had problems but that was 6 years after his career was over

Whether he's the best is an opinion....your's is as good as mine...but he was a heck of a football play.....high school...college and pros

I know there was a photo spread in what I think was "Sport" magazine ... a national pub that used to compete with SI, showing different players physiques. I think they had a shot of Danny's back. Something like, 'best symetry' or something ... I know he was ripped up.

Am I dreaming One Old Coach or am I remembering that correctly???