Jake Nunley

CCtreydaddyCC

Wait one second, what about Buckner from Cookeville. The kid is unstoppable. He was named the Offensive Player of the week this week for the state of TN. Has Nunley been the offensive player of the week yet. I am not trying to be smart but you have to give Buckner some credit for what he has done. Don't get me wrong Nunley is a great running back but I think Buckner is just as good or better.

When I saw Buckner against Coffee County, he did nothing. Paxton had a lot more yardage than he did. I think Buckner might be considered in the top 5 in the region.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When SP had a scrimmage against Coffee Co. they had a freshmen run the ball all over them. SP defense stopped Coffee in their tracks. He never ran anything against SP.

SP is South Pittsburg, a 1A school.

And after talking to one of the Coffee County players father, he said that they got spanked pretty bad.

LC statman and myself went up and watched CC play Cookeville on our open week and I have to agree with him, first Cookeville's defense was no where near as good as they were last year, or at least not on that night they weren't.

Yes, Nunley is a good back, but top five in the state, I think that's streaching it too much for sure. He lined up right behind the Q.B. and ran the ball about 70 percent of the time it seemed that night, including a few long runs.

He's a good back alright, a back most anyone would be glad to have, but, not one of the top five backs. Riverdale has at least 2 backs that are much faster or elusive.

We'll know more about him in the coming weeks, when they get into the meat of their schedule. :lol:

Jake Nunley...Nunley is about six feety and about 200 hundred poundsa nd i have seen him destroy some of the biggest boys i have ever seen...he is also only a junior...no arguing..he is in the top 5 in the state!..who doesnt agree...he has only had about 700 yards and 8 TD's in 3 games...he will be an all-american this year as a junior and next year no doubt as a senior!

Now, maybe the Tennessean sports section is not updated or incorrect, if it is I think that your stat people send in the info, but they have Jake Nunley with 32 carries for 302 yards and 5 tds. That's a long way from 700 yards.

But, like I said maybe his stats have not been updated, I don't know why they wouldn't, if you start putting them in the paper I would think you would update them every week. :lol:

Falconstatmen, that 302 yards and five touchdowns was what Nunley accomplished alone in Game 1 against Mufreesboro-Siegel.

He ran another 285 yards and three touchdowns against Cookeville a week and a half ago.

And last Friday he ran for about 180 yards and I think he got one of those two scores against Tullahoma.

When you add those three game totals up that's where they get their 700+ yards from. The Tennessean apparently hasn't updated it yet.

Also, I was not aware that our team played South Pittsburg in a scrimmage. Oh well. I hope our game has improved since then. I think it has.

Nunley is a very good back in the Wing-T offense. If you lined him up in a split back or I I don't think he'd be getting the same yards for the following reasons....

1. Wing - T relies on ball fakes & misdirection which makes the defense a step or 2

slower in reacting to the play.

2. The linemen splits in the Wing-T are very small (usually a foot, sometimes less)

this creates easy pulls for traps & better angles on turnout blocks. Nunley is a

yard behind the QB so all it takes to get him into the 2nd level is a block for 1-2

seconds by the O-linemen (usually Center & Guard)

I believe Nunley was 5-A player of the week in week #1, and the yards & scores in the Tennessean are soley from that game.

If he keeps gaining the yards he has been he will be a Street & Smith honorable mention selection for next year...but he does have to show out in games against quality teams, not 0 & Seigal, 0 & Tullahoma, Wilson Central also 0 &, and Warren Co who is

0 & as well. I wish him & CC all the luck the rest of the year, but I will have to disagree about All-American for this year. Thomas White & Chris Elam both played @ CC in a 50 times over tougher region & neither of them got any All American ink at any sort of level.

I agree with AAAAA that buckner is unstoppable.....hes a big workhorse. He may not get the 50 yd runs, but u can put him up there and bank on at least 4 by himself,,, if he gets good blocking, 10 yds.

as far as nunnely....he is great, but i dont know about the best in the state.....i also think we should see what he does against lincoln co.

1. Coffee County in no way has a front line like Riverdale, Blackman or Franklin

2. Their time of possession wanes due to not having depth against great teams.

3. Their passing game is in no way as good as the great teams.

Assessment:

If Nunley had the front line, passing attack and depth of the greater teams in the state, Nunley could be in the top three if not the top of the state in running backs. It takes a whole lot of want to keep up the pace that Nunley is dishing out when you are playing with a team that is at it's present level. Just imagine if he had lineman that had size and 4.7 speed to run block for him. Anyway, there are two ways to look at this. Nunley, all things considered, will finish near top in the state. How many backs do you see carrying not just the opposing team, but their own team on their backs to the playoffs!

Falconstatmen, that 302 yards and five touchdowns was what Nunley accomplished alone in Game 1 against Mufreesboro-Siegel.

He ran another 285 yards and three touchdowns against Cookeville a week and a half ago.

And last Friday he ran for about 180 yards and I think he got one of those two scores against Tullahoma.

When you add those three game totals up that's where they get their 700+ yards from.  The Tennessean apparently hasn't updated it yet.

Also, I was not aware that our team played South Pittsburg in a scrimmage.  Oh well.  I hope our game has improved since then.  I think it has.

OK, I thought that that looked kinda low anyway. I wonder why no one from C.C. has updated his stats. I saw the game against Cookeville and remembered that he had several long runs and thought that if he only had 302 then he must have not had much against anyone else, so i guess that straighten's that out.

According to a friend that has a son that plays for C.C. I believe that C.C. scrimmaged South Pittsburg in the spring, but that may be wrong, it may have in the beginning of fall practice. :lol:

Hey, fellas, come on, if any one has seen jake nunley six feet tall and 190-200 pounds, i think you have found the wrong guy. i have stood near him and he may be close to six feet, but not quite, as for 190-200, you must be diluted. the boy may weigh a buck eighty... soaking wet. and as far as this whole post goes, i hate it when someone mentions a name and all the bashers come out of the wood work. let a decent kid have a decent season. so what if he's not the cream of the crop, i would say he's at least top 25. spring practice is spring practice. if the cc offense is designed for him, hey, why not. he keeps putting up some decent yardage, i would keep giving him the ball. even if his numbers aren't great, he is a wonderful decoy for the cc offense. i think that says alot about the team around him. its not just the nunley show. there are 10 other boys out there playing just as hard as he is, they just don't get the glory, or the bashes.