89-0

chunkybfunky

I recall Tim Brando of CBS college football fame remarking about Florida State's 77-0 victory over Duke. He was asked about Duke's whining. To that, Brando said, "If Duke doesn't like getting beat 77-0 by FSU, then get better." Amen to that. No disrespect intended to Lighthouse (and I know that's a new school), but there's nothing in the rules that says you can't win 189-0 if you want to. You ask your kids to play hard, whether it's a first-teamer or a fourth-teamer. I used to see coaches call for 78-yard field goals on first downs or use tackles as tailbacks in mercy- killing games. To me that was more humiliating than hammering a team 89-0. Again, not knowing the circumstances, it seems Rosemark was doing what it had to do to win the game. If memory serves, McFerran, responsible for the success Covington enjoys today, is Rosemark's coach. He coaches hard and expects his team to perform. I always thought he was a classy guy, so I can't imagine him rubbing it in on a new school. Face it, Rosemark is better than Lighthouse...this year. And I offer this caveat: what goes around comes around. Again, to teams who are tired of losing to superior opponents - get better.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's fine if someone wants to run up a score, and I think if the situation was reversed.. they same thing would happen. Stats get your players recognition, and if they were running the starters the whole game, then they just got another day of practice. The more the starters play, the more experienced they will become, so when they meet someone who can put up a fight, they'll do even better. Some teams are really horrible.. so even if the second, third, or fourth team was in, they'd still kick butt. I don't see anything wrong with running up the score, I've had it ran up on me, and I've run it up on other teams.

My team was beaten badly several times...62-0 one weeked, 54-0 the next, and another 47-0. I don't remember any of this talk about running up the score. We were young high school kids and we didn't care NEARLY as much as the adults. That may be why we got beaten so badly.

And as for kids getting really hurt in a game like that 89-0, I would venture to say that many of those scores are long runs or passes or punt returns, etc., but not the long hard drives (3 yds in a cloud of dust). Those smash mouth games are where more people get hurt, I would suspect. To get beaten 89-0, you aren't really putting yourself in harms way very often.

krichunaka,

You're digging yourself a deeper hole with your ranting and baseless argument. Now you are proposing that the Lighthouse players are slaves to the evil Lighthouse athletic department and coaches who "force" these poor defenseless kids to play against the big bad bullies on other teams. Give me a break!

Can you not get this throgh your head? Fielding a football team is voluntary. Playing on that team is voluntary. If both teams play by the rules and the officials enforce the rules, the outcome is fair, regardless of the score.

krichunaka, you live in a dream world if you think that a team has a responsibility to be sure no one gets their feelings hurt. When you enter the fray, you risk getting beat. Besides, what is a "proper" score in your eyes? We lost 55-3 the second game of the season and competing very well in the game and that game will help us down the road. You want to teach the kids that "when the going gets tough, the tough hope the other guys quit". Now there's a motto to live life by!

A coach worth his salt will FB DIVE and punt when up that big.  Honor is the gift a man gives himself.

Once you cross the 50 point spread... put in the freshman team and run dive right and dive left. Two years ago I kicked off during the first half and elected to kick off during the second half of a JV game because we were up by so many points. Both teams can also agree to let the clock run in these types of games. There is no reason to bash a team that is outmatched!

Edited by ELA

Once you cross the 50 point spread... put in the freshman team and run dive right and dive left. Two years ago I kicked off during the first half and elected to kick off during the second half of a JV game because we were up by so many points. Both teams can also agree to let the clock run in these types of games. There is no reason to bash a team that is outmatched!

Well stated, Coach. Also your crituque on passing from the wing t of now some weeks back was great; I've referred several friends to it. Nailed it on the head.

And yes, divepix you're absolutely right..........about everything. :D