89-0

chunkybfunky

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without knowing details, it is hard to criticize. When were starters lifted? Did winning team refuse to throw the ball after being up 40-0? Did all players on winning team play? Did the winning team go for any 4th downs after being up by 40?

You cannot ask players to stop playing, especially if they are Freshmen or bench warmers who get to play very little. If the winning team shows respect for the loser based on the above critieria and others, it is the losing teams responsibility to keep playing and try to stop them. It is just as wrong and an insult to the loser to not play hard unti the horn sounds.

Divepix....with all due respect, we go down this road so often, and it's almost always a coach who comes on and gives all the rationale as to why you should never tell your players to take it easy, they might get hurt, and so forth.

We have to deal with Coach Lunsford's Landers on a yearly basis, and truth is he could usually beat us a hundred something to nothing....he simply has more character than to humiliate us. Yes we should get better, etc, but come on... it's not that difficult to maintain a reasonable score....89 to nothiing...reee dic u lus!!!

Looking at scores on TSSA.org, I saw the score. The Commercial Appeal gave the synopsis as:

Tipton-Rosemark 89, Lighthouse Christian 0 at TRA - The Rebels (4-1, 2-1) put on their biggest offensive show of the season, as QB Drew Hanks threw for an astounding 314 yards and six touchdowns on just 11 completions. Chase Peeler scored four TDs for TRA, two rushing, one receiving and one on an 80-yard kickoff return. Lighthouse, in its first TSSAA season, fell to 0-4, 0-2.

I realize that players gain nothing by not playing their hardest, but I would hope that if I am the coach on the other side that TRA could play their underclassmen a little quicker. How much scoring lead do you need before the younger kids get in to the game?

Also, it seems that both school are in Millington. I imagine that the neighbors will not forget that score.

krichunaka, my point was that a coach can have class and show respect for an opponent by doing certain things when the score gets to 35-40 to nothing. However, kids work hard all year in the weight room and practice field who rarely get to play. It is not honest to anyone, the kids or the opponents, to ask those kids to "take a fall". I am not defending this particular coach, becuase I don't know the details. Play the bench warmers, don't throw, don't go for 4th downs, but when a player is on the field, let him play. He has earned that right.

I have issues with this score. Karma. What do you all think? When is enough?

Lighthouse Christian is doing the best they can with 2 juniors and a lot of 8-9 graders. You have to be concerned that the younger, smaller players might get hurt up against much larger jr-sr's; I would hope that-as their opponents did 2 weeks ago- the coach puts in 2nd or 3rd players to give them some game time.

Lighthouse Christian Academy plays with a lot of heart-good luck with the rest of the season!

Go, Lighthouse, and play as long as you want to. Winning on the football field is nice and fun, but competition is a classroom, win or lose, and many of your foes who are great players will end up being losers in the game of life, which is much more important.

Excuse me to "wax philosophical", but Abraham Licoln lost almost every election he was in until he was elected one of our greatest Presidents .

krichunaka, my point was that a coach can have class and show respect for an opponent by doing certain things when the score gets to 35-40 to nothing. However, kids work hard all year in the weight room and practice field who rarely get to play. It is not honest to anyone, the kids or the opponents, to ask those kids to "take a fall". I am not defending this particular coach, becuase I don't know the details. Play the bench warmers, don't throw, don't go for 4th downs, but when a player is on the field, let him play. He has earned that right.

Pathetic. Undefense-uh-bull.

It's not taking a fall. It's simply showing good sportsmanship. And on this one I'll have to agree with CR4; Especially if it's true that Lighthouse is resorting to playing freshmen and 8th graders.

And yes, we know the younger players practice too. How many times do we have to hear that one?

Dive, it's nothing at all personal toward you. But careful with the Lincoln talk; last time we involved him in our forums we got the lockout. :D

goodness, quit crying....

this will motivate lighthouse next time...

If you can win, why not win big, and make your players feel good??? Who cares about the other team?? Do you know about the team featured in the book "Friday Night Lights"?? They went undefeated for like 12 years in Texas, they always played the states best, and won.

I like it when coaches run it up...I think after awhile the starters should be taken out for injury purposes though.

lots of kids can't afford to go to college, and alot of college recruitors look at stats, so why not let them get built up???

quit crying and play ball

LATE