89-0

chunkybfunky

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

goodness, quit crying....

this will motivate lighthouse next time...

If you can win, why not win big, and make your players feel good???  Who cares about the other team??  Do you know about the team featured in the book "Friday Night Lights"??  They went undefeated for like 12 years in Texas, they always played the states best, and won. 

I like it when coaches run it up...I think after awhile the starters should be taken out for injury purposes though. 

lots of kids can't afford to go to college, and alot of college recruitors look at stats, so why not let them get built up???

quit crying and play ball

LATE

Quit crying!

I'll bet that you wouldn't feel that way if you were on the other end of that score. Run it up? You really sound like a classy kinda guy, the type that I would want coaching my son that's right. Grind them into the dirt when you get the chance, lot of class.

Edited by Falconstatman

Winning that big is not too impressive against Lighthouse. For the past 5 years or so we put up 40-50+ points on them at each game and most of those points came from our 2nd and 3rd teams. Almost any team could put up 80 points on them if they wanted to. The point is that whoever beat Lighthouse, Tipton-Rosemark??(who are they), shouldn't feel so good about themselves until they do that against a real team

Winning that big is not too impressive against Lighthouse. For the past 5 years or so we put up 40-50+ points on them at each game and most of those points came from our 2nd and 3rd teams. Almost any team could put up 80 points on them if they wanted to. The point is that whoever beat Lighthouse, Tipton-Rosemark??(who are they), shouldn't feel so good about themselves until they do that against a real team

Wrong Ligthouse StrongLeft, you are thinking of the one that was in Nashville, they have left the TSSAA. This is a new school in Millington north of Memphis

krichunaka,

Sorry about the Lincoln comment if it is bad protocal. Just trying to make point that losing on football field is not the measure of character or ultimate success and losing can build character.

Back to the point: Good sportsmanship, in my opinion, also involves playing the game with integrity. Taking a fall is not integrity and is an insult to the opposing team. If I am going to lose, I want to at least know the other team gave an effort. Otherwise, what is my point in even being on the field? I would rather lose by 89 and know the other team played than lose by 10 to a team that didn't even try.

krichunaka,

Sorry about the Lincoln comment if it is bad protocal.

Taking a fall is not integrity and is an insult to the opposing team. If I am going to lose, I want to at least know the other team gave an effort. Otherwise, what is my point in even being on the field? I would rather lose by 89 and know the other team played than lose by 10 to a team that didn't even try.

The Lincoln comment was a reference to another topic from last week, that concerned the Confederate Flag being used by an Illinois football team. coacht mercifully moved it to a different forum.

But back to your other point: Having been on the Down side of such a massacre I can assure you that the the other team's integrity somehow never seems to matter.

Extending your logic: I just got punched in the nose. I'm lying on the ground, and the winner (now that would be the team with 89; the guy who punched me) gives me a few kicks in the ribs, face, etc. You might disagree, dive, but I'd just as soon the big guy walk away rather than to continue running up the score to the detriment of my ugly face.

Yep, I'd rather only have ten stitches than say, a couple hundred or so; but the other members here that know me will readily attest to my warped sense of humor.

krichunaka,

With all due respect, your argument is flawed. When someone punches you in the nose, it is not because you are voluntarily participating in a sporting event which is bound by a clock, rules, officials and prescribed protocol. I would agree with your argument if you were in a boxing match, but they don't stop those unless the officials and rules dictate the end of the match. You assume Lighthouse wants the game stopped and I don't believe they have said so. Also, it is their decision to field a team and they know the rules when they participate.

As the victim of a nose punching and ultimate beating, your attacker had no willing opponent and was not playing according to the rules. Lighthouse enters the event willingly just like an overmatched boxer. With that, they risk a beating.

The superior team can show respect but they don't have to quit playing.

Edited by divepix

89-0 sounds like a Steve Spurrier score. He made the best sense out of running the score up for one he's just calling ball plays and for two if he puts in 2nd or 3rd stringers that work their butt of in practice is he susposed to tell them that they can get in the game but they cant play for real they have to just stand around and not score anymore points eventhough they practice and work hard all week just like the other guys. Now on the other hand if the 1st team is still in and playing hard thats bad sportsmanship. I'm not gonna call any names but that guy who coaches that private school over in antioch will keep his starters in for 3 1/2 quarters no matter how much he's winning by.

krichunaka,

it is their decision to field a team and they know the rules when they participate.

Lighthouse enters the event willingly just like an overmatched boxer. With that, they risk a beating.

Unbelievable.

"their decision" "they"??? you're no doubt talking about the players. yep, they're the ones who "willingly" entered the event.

"they knew the rules" tell ya what, dive...you win on all points of this debate.

You've been right all along; I just wanted to see myself type. They're in their mid-teens after all. They asked for it.

I should've been more mature while talking about those Lighthouse Babies. Gosh, I hope their coaches can schedule UT, Vandy or Memphis State. I'm sure someone on their schedule would step aside so those punks can get what they ask for. They're probably mean kids anyhow.

Dive, you obviously come from the, "if ya can't play with the big dogs" school of philosophy. You've taken Darwin's Survival theory to a whole new level.