Earl Nall Top 10 5A

Duckbutterbandit

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only team I have a problem with here is the Falcons of LC. They've defeated number two and number three yet they're still stuck at 8. I don't understand that, but I'm still not goign to be supercritical of the computer yet. It'll figure out how good LC is, especially if they beat OHS bad this week.

If the computer is still trying to figure out if Lincoln County is good, then that computer is a slow learner. LMAO

I have probably had more feedback this year on Riverdale/Lincoln County and CBHS/Brentwood Academy than ever before since I started the ratings in 1993.

When I run the ratings at the beginning of the season they look at each teams' history -- no others stronger than Riverdale and BA. Thus it takes quite a while for them to tumble in the ratings. It is a decision I made when I started doing the ratings. The logic being that when BA or Riverdale play they probably have a touchdown advantage before they even take the field. Of course that logic can be debated -- but I choose to use it.

Since the season started these team have had the greatest ratings points increase:

White County 16.5

Sequoyah 15.8

Antioch 15.4

Lincoln County 15.1

CBHS 14.0

Chester County 13.7

ECS 13.6

Mt. Pleasant 13.3

East Robertson 12.5

Knoxville Catholic 12.3

Chattanooga Central 11.9

Cheatham County 11.8

Scott County 11.3

White Station 11.0

Cherokee 10.2

so you can tell by these numbers that Linclon County and CBHS's surge certainly has been noticed by the computer and as long as they keep winning they'll keep moving up.

On the other hand, these teams have had the biggest drop in ratings:

Fayette Academy -12.1

Nashville Overton -12.4

Tullahoma -12.6

Oakhaven -12.6

Sweetwater -12.6

Cascade -13.2

Union City -14.2

Memphis Overton -14.6

West Greene -14.6

David Crockett -16.0

Beech -16.3

Jellico -17.5

Hollow Rock-Bruceton -20.2

You'll notice here that Bruceton has fallen the furthest -- but it took them 4 weeks to drop out of the top 10. Those close to Bruceton probably knew the team was not a top ten team this year -- but the computer kept giving them the benefit of the doubt at first and now has given up on them -- but their tradition kept them in top 10 for a while.

I noticed in another thread a comment on how can Rockwood drop in the ratings after defeating another undefeated team. The computer is programmed to reexamine each schedule each week. When Rockwood defeated Sweetwater and Kingston early on they saw a surge -- but at last check, Sweetwater and Kingston are neither very good this year and so what once looked like great victories turned out to not be that impressive, so the computer is figuring that out.

I stick by the ratings as over the years they pick about 85-90% of the games each week. I think that is pretty good. There is always room for improvement with any system and perhaps my ratings give too much attention to past performance, but at this time I am not up to getting back into the system and doing some tweaking. I'll just live with the Riverdale and CBHS questions for a while. Debate is good.

QUOTE="When I run the ratings at the beginning of the season they look at each teams' history -- no others stronger than Riverdale and BA. Thus it takes quite a while for them to tumble in the ratings. It is a decision I made when I started doing the ratings."UN QUOTE

Am I missing something here? I think your computer was absent that day the history lesson was given on Lincoln County. They are the only team in the 90's to win TWO 5a state championships other than Riverdale. LC has as many state championships as Riverdale. They are the only team to beat them twice in 2 years. They've been in the playoffs every year since 1991. What has Franklin done with their history or the other 5 teams in front of LC? I really don't know.

The biggest thing that i can't understand is, every year, there are about two or three teams (and I won't mention any names, but if you keep up with this, year in, year out, you will know who I am talking about) that are always rated right at the top and will go undefeated or maybe lose one game in the regular season only to get thrashed in the playoffs when they run upon a team from the midstate, and I'm talking at the 5A level. I personally think that the performance in the playoffs should have a great bearing in the "History of the team", to me this makes absolutley no sense. I am not trying to be ugly but it's just the truth, that's why I just don't pay any attention to these ratings.