Attn: Maryville Fans

Tornado1

Instead of catching the Alcoa vs. Heritage I thought I'd go watch the County championship on the line at WB. I actually thought WB would be more competitive than they were but after Maryville converted that turnover into a TD you could see the Govs go in the tank. Also the Rebs defense is outstanding. But on to my point. I was very impressed by a lot about Maryville, even their band which was probally better than some colleges but one thing caught my attention.

In the corner of the endzone there was a banner that read "You wish you were us." I don't know if this was directed just at the WB football team or the WB community as a whole but I have talked with several others in attendance who were very bothered by this and who feel that this is nothing more than a "Maryville eletist attitude" and trying to belittle those who aren't associated with Maryville.

I know you think I'll have an ax to grind (which I don't) but a lot of Maryville fans say everyone else is jealous of their success. That may be true but when people are made to feel that they are a lower class of citizen then that often breeds the negative attitude that people have towards Maryville. Take this for what its worth but this may be why so much negativity is directed at you guys.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

geez , your an adult i assume?? how can you interpret one sign made up by a few 16 and 17 yr olds as the attitude of a whole community?? i can assure you the adults of the MARYVILLE community love to win , but love winning with class even more !! i think you were awfully quick to judge a whole community just by one sign made up by kids !! kids now are growing up with all the trash talking going on by their professional sports heros . surely you can see all the trash talk that gets directed towards MARYVILLE though . after hearing the attacks from people who are jealous for so many years , sometimes it gets hard to keep from lashing back !! . maybe instead of pointing a finger at the MARYVILLE community , you should ask yourself why you get so riled up by one silly sign made up by teenagers ?????????? think about it

Edited by pepvol

the last time william blount won against MARYVILLE there was nearly a riot there , they started a fire , burned rebel flags , cursed our players as they were walking off the field . maybe instead of pointing a finger at the MARYVILLE community , you should ask yourself why you get so riled up by one silly sign made up by teenagers ?????????? think about it

Tried not to ... but can't help to weigh in just a bit.

First of all, I agree with Tornado that the particular sign he was mentioning isn't the classiest in the world. But let me straddle the fence, because PepVol is right .. kids will be kids. There were still Blount kids last week that wanted to bring up the "counterfeit money" stuff and the Maryville players "boozing it up" a couple of years ago. Totally tasteless and it was dealt with by administration. If the Maryville kids were implying that WB's football team wished they were as successful as they were .. absolutely. Any team around would wish such.

As far as what took place at WB a few years back when the Gov's won ... I've heard it blown a little out of proportion on this board more than once. You'd think we were turning over cars in the parking lot and throwing rocks at the police officers and sacrificing virgins to hear some of you guys talk.

Did the WB fans and players get excited? Of course. But "We" (William Blount proper) DID NOT start a fire. A fan (and former administrator) who lived within site of the field but several hundred yards away started what he thought was going to be a small fire, that got out of hand. If Rebel flags were burned in the stadium area ( I don't think they were) ... we would have harshly dealt with whoever did it.

As far as players cussing ... I appologize for that. Some of your own players threw helmets and equipment at our guys after the game. I could name names but won't. Just wanted to clear things up a little.

I didn't like the sign myself. But. You can't get offended by something kids write on a poster.Kids will be kids.

I remember all the counterfeit money Alcoa,Heritage and some other teams we played students were throwing around when Maryville played those teams in 2000. I remember Maryville students bringing mask's to Heritage High School when Heritage had the mold problems. I remember during basketball games in 1999-2000 season where the Heritage student section were hollering "26-21" and "Football" and then the Maryville students would say "Hey Heritage don't fell blue,We have state rings how bout you?"

I have a bunch of friends who are Heritage,William Blount and Alcoa fans. I ran into a guy I used to work with at the William Blount vs Maryville game. I told him my nephew was coaching at WB. He said that my nephew finally got smart. LOL

Edited by REBELRON

No offense taken, PepVol. I understood your point and it was a good one. I just hate for everbody to think that all of us at WB are fire-starting, riot inducing, player cursing, low-life rednecks. It's really only about half of us that are like that. :D

RebelRon, one of my favorite t-shirts I saw last year said "Heritage High School ... Molding the Minds of our Future Leaders." I liked that.

BTW, you all heard anything about Chuck Prugh? I heard today he was in the hospital in pretty serious condition. Bleeding from his ears ... perhaps on a respirator? Anybody know anything?

Do you actually believe the administration would deal harshly with anyone at William Blount?

Absolutely. At any athletic event ... whether it be football, basketball, or whatever ... if a William Blount student (or adult) behaves in an unacceptable manner and it is witnessed by a member of the administration or by one of our fine Student Resource Officers, I guarantee you it will be dealt with.

Over the past few years, especially at basketball games, we have watched and listened to other school's cheering sections do things that we will not let our kids get away with. We will not let our kids do cheers that contain curse words or use the word "stinks" in anyway. Last year at the Maryville game, some of our more creative young men had the letters of MARYVILLE stinks spelled out on the front of t-shirts. We broke them up as soon as we saw them, before the game got underway.

Yes, kids will be kids, and we can't stop what we don't see ... but if it is seen and it's wrong, it will be dealt with, as harshly as need be.

It's real easy to set back and take potshots at the administration when you're not around it or know nothing about it. When you do have the opportunity to deal with these folks, you realize they are doing a heck of a job. I get sick of hearing people talking about William Blount not being able to keep a coach (or get a good one) because of the lack of administrative support. Blount has had 6 coaches in 24-25 years. First two left because they could never get the program to where they wanted it to be. Third left because of his own lack of ethics. Fourth did a great job but wanted to spend more time on his daughter's basketball career. Fifth left because he thought the grass was greener somewhere else. Don't know how long the sixth will be there, but it's not fair to blame the administration for all the troubles.

Whew, through preaching,

P.S. "Stinks" does not equal "Stinks." The word should start with an "s" and end with a "ks" with "u" and "c" in the middle, but amazingly enough the board won't let you say that . Not complaining, good feature.

Edited by GovMan

A FEW YEARS AGO, I ATTENDED A COUPLE OF PLAYOFF GAMES BETWEEN MARYVILLE AND ELIZABETHTON. THE GAMES WERE EXCELLANT AND MARYVILLE WON THEM BOTH AND ADVANCED TO THE CHAMPIONSHIPS. THE FANS ON BOTH SIDES WERE ANIMATED AND I AM SURE THERE WERE INSTANCES WHERE A FEW FANS, YOUNG AND OLD, GOT OUT OF LINE AS YOU SEE IN MOST GAMES. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT BOTH SQUADS PLAYED HARD, BOTH SETS OF FANS CHEERED LOUD AND IT WAS A CLASS GAME. MARYVILLE WON BOTH GAMES DUE TO "BREAKS", JUST AS ELIZABETHTON COULD HAVE GOTTEN THE BREAKS. I SAW NO NEED TO BASH MARYVILLE, AND MOST OF ELIZABETHTON'S FANS WISHED THEM WELL IN REPRESENTING EAST TENNESSEE DOWN THE ROAD. GIVE MARYVILLE A HAND BECAUSE THEY GET WHERE THEY ARE BY HARD WORK AND DON'T LET A SMALL GROUP OF FANS FROM ANYWHERE DISTORT YOUR PERCEPTION OF AN ENTIRE COMMUNITY.