Tidwell resigns at Warren County!

kellraiser

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to agree with the decision that Dryden is the best man to fill in until a new head coach can be found. This is a sad day for WC football and with only a week away from homecoming. I really feel for the seniors and juniors that have played every year. We always talk about why the middle school players quit before they get to high school in WC and I think this is one of the reasons why. A coach quitting in the middle of the season doesn't look to promising to anybody coming up to high school. I hope this problem is taken care of well and hope the boys don't get to upset about it. Good luck WC!! :)

Coach Tidwell is not the first Warren County coach to resign in the middle of the season. Bobby Newby resigned before the end of the season and if I remember correctly, James Bennett and Bobby Hale had to finish the season for him. The football program has been going down hill ever since with the exception of maybe one winning season under Coach Ray Barnes. We had an opportunity to hire David Pack after Barnes left but the principal at the time Bentley Rowdin(spelling?) did not want him because Coach Pack wanted control of all of Warren County's football programs and Rowdin did not want to give that much power to anyone. Everyone knows their view of history from that point forward. There is no easy solution to the problems that exist in the Warren Couny football program. It is time for us to try to think outside the box to come up with a viable solution to our problems. It might be time to bring in a consultant to get a fresh ideas before we get in to the hiring phase. Just some thoughts.

Sorry to hear about the coach, but he hadn't won a game in a year and a half and it looks like he isn't going to win. I feel like if you don't get someone in there soon and turn the program around you need to put a padlock on the door and give the money to the baseball and soccer because its the only good sports that are at the school.

First of all, I want to wish Coach Tidwell lots of luck whereever he may go.

Now for my two cents worth.

Let a coach do his job. Parents need to stay out of the coaching business unless they want the job themselves. If the politics and parents will stay out of the coaches face; they hire a competent coach(if one dares to take the job) and let him work his magic for a few years, just maybe Warren County can come out from under this drought of losing they have had for many, many years.

Alot of potentially good players have been lost due to politics in Warren County(who you are and not how good you are). This issue has hurt most of the programs in Warren County for a long time. Winning isn't everything, but when you don't win at all it hurts any program.

Good luck Warren County, you are going to need it and while you are on your knees a few prayers might help. ;)B)B)

ok, a few responses to various things i've read... principal is a former coach, but is also within 2-3 years of taking retirement... ad is within 2 or 3yrs of 30yrs and rumor has it he'll retire at that point... sound like folks that are in it for the long haul to you? of the board members i know, the only one i'd do business with is a former teacher at wchs... granted i don't know them all as well as i do the ones here... the director is a great guy who i am sure wants the best for the students... so who pressured the principal to seek tidwell's resignation? boosters i think, can't say for sure, but based on the season's incidents, it's the boosters... can they be blamed for the state of wc football? no... blame it on asst's? no... as mentioned earlier the problem is way to big for one head coach (no matter who he is) to overcome... POLITICS is the evil there and it will not be overcome easily... isn't that the county where they suspended the nepotism policy to hire someone's relative? isn't that the same county that once fired a football coach after a perfect season to give a 'good ole boy' the job? a coach from there told me he was told by a former superintendant that the reason he didn't get a head coaching job was because the guy who got it had campaigned for him, he blatantly admitted it... it's just my opinion, but to me the problem is that the the majority of the people in control don't really have the kids' interests set before their own.... hiring from inside? only if it's madewell or upton (and i don't think he'd take it for anything)... hiring from outside? asst's at most midstate schools would have to take a pay cut to take the job, so yep i'd say it's time to pay the rent... would help if you had liquor by the drink to tax like we do... oh wait, you do have that... so where are all those fancy restaurants ya'll were promised if you passed that? point is, no money, no honey... need a big time coach? even if you did have the money, is that really what it takes? name a BIG coach in that district... you can't... big coaches win state titles, wc doesn't need that big a change... .500 ball would be fine with most of the warrencountians i know... forget where he comes from and get someone who cares about the kids... eagle79, brown was from smyrna wasn't he? at least i think he coached there... and i'm still looking for my answer... how many coaching changes in all sports there over the last few years?

Edited by southpaw24

I have heard insanity defined as doing the same things over and over but expecting to get different results. Seems to me that if the Principal and the AD are the ones leading the next search for a head coach...well, you get the point.

Whatever happens one thing is certain. The next Head Coach at WC can't do any worse. If he wins one game he won 100% more games than Tidwell did.

I hope SportsEd takes this grand opportunity to do a little research on some surrounding programs and do a feature in the Slander detailing how much WC pays its coaches vs. other teams. The good folks of WC need to see the pay discrepscancy so that they might understand that it takes money to attract talent.

karl, i'm sure you realize this but the principal has changed since the last search... but your point remains true for the remainder of the search committee... and as far as that paper goes, the "good folks of WC" just use it for house breaking puppies... give 'em some credit...

Edited by southpaw24

ok, a few responses to various things i've read... principal is a former coach, but is also within 2-3 years of taking retirement... ad is within 2 or 3yrs of 30yrs and rumor has it he'll retire at that point... sound like folks that are in it for the long haul to you? of the board members i know, the only one i'd do business with is a former teacher at wchs... granted i don't know them all as well as i do the ones here... the director is a great guy who i am sure wants the best for the students... so who pressured the principal to seek tidwell's resignation? boosters i think, can't say for sure, but based on the season's incidents, it's the boosters... can they be blamed for the state of wc football? no... blame it on asst's? no... as mentioned earlier the problem is way to big for one head coach (no matter who he is) to overcome... POLITICS is the evil there and it will not be overcome easily... isn't that the county where they suspended the nepotism policy to hire someone's relative? isn't that the same county that once fired a football coach after a perfect season to give a 'good ole boy' the job? a coach from there told me he was told by a former superintendant that the reason he didn't get a head coaching job was because the guy who got it had campaigned for him, he blatantly admitted it... it's just my opinion, but to me the problem is that the the majority of the people in control don't really have the kids' interests set before their own.... hiring from inside? only if it's madewell or upton (and i don't think he'd take it for anything)... hiring from outside? asst's at most midstate schools would have to take a pay cut to take the job, so yep i'd say it's time to pay the rent... would help if you had liquor by the drink to tax like we do... oh wait, you do have that... so where are all those fancy restaurants ya'll were promised if you passed that? point is, no money, no honey... need a big time coach? even if you did have the money, is that really what it takes? name a BIG coach in that district... you can't... big coaches win state titles, wc doesn't need that big a change... .500 ball would be fine with most of the warrencountians i know... forget where he comes from and get someone who cares about the kids... eagle79, brown was from smyrna wasn't he? at least i think he coached there... and i'm still looking for my answer... how many coaching changes in all sports there over the last few years?

Southpaw 24---

You fully understand the situation at Warren County. But I'll be more specific --- a former superintendent, and the football boosters club must go before things will change with this football program! And I think you know what I mean.....

On another subject, I think Ronnie Brown is originally from McMinnville (played at the old Central), and then played at MTSU. Taught in Smyrna and Lebanon, before moving back home to McMinnville.

It sounds like you won't get all your problems fixed with one hire. Good grief....what a mess! Right now, with all the things mentioned here, you can forget getting an upper echelon coach coming to your school. It would be career suicide. BUT, there is still hope. If it were me, I would strongly look for a coach with commitment, decent coaching skills and someone who genuinely cares about the boys wearing the jerseys. Someone who wants to see them grow up with good life lessons, caring for their brother and leaving everything they have on the field. That has to be someone you should be able to find. It would be a great start even with a losing season if they could just feel good about themselves. After all, its that group that sacrifices their afternoons from their families, friends and girlfriends that deserves all the respect you can give them.