Is H.S. football going to the College Bowl system?

therealtimbob

I heard from someone that hs football in TN is in the coming years changing to the college bowl system.

I see why the tssaa, and schools would want this. ($$$$$$)

You charge at least $6.00 to every game, then every region has a championship game, where the cost will be a little higher.

Then you have #1 vs. #2 in every class, then 3 vs. 4, or 3 vs. 5, and so on and so on. And also I heard that All the "so-called" "Bowl" games will be played at Schools that can seat more people, for example the Clinic Bowl (championship) will be in Murfreesboro, and then the other teams would play at like UT-Martin in the west, or play at Lambuth. The point is that the lesser games would be played in College arenas.

It is kind of conceivable, but it would mean that the hs would have to have preseason rankings, which would a) print a magazine for the rankings($$$$$) and people on Coacht.com would go nuts about it.

IT could be cool I guess, if you are like Dobys-Bennett, or Lewis County, or Cloudland, and you are always good.

Has anyone else heard this? Could this work?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, before there was the playoff system instilled by the TSSAA our high school championship games were played in bowl games.

I remember reading somewhere that a Coffee County Red Raider team back in the 50's or 60's went 13-0 for the year defeating some state powers such as Shelbyville, Tullahoma, Murfreesboro Central, Smithville Central, and McMinnville Central which cultimated in a Tobacco Bowl victory over Carthage.

Great idea!!! The DI schools (NCAA) do it b/c of cash and it prevents the student athlete from spending too many weeks involved in his sport. (HMMMMMMM??).

High school students really could use the reduction in time and prevent the cross-over problems with other sports. Lets also reduce the # of games in basketball and Baseball. Return to the era of true three sport athletes instead of this specialization trend that is eating the soul of high school athletics up.

I don't know about a bowl system, but I heard that they were thinking of changing the championships to the way they do it in Virginia. Which is have 3 classes during the regular season and switch to 5 for the playoffs. So there would be a 3A large and small school and a 2A large and small school and 1A would stay the way it is. It was said to do this to reduce traveling, because teams traveling 4 hours for a region game is rediculous.

I don't think that it is broke, but I do think that if the profits were spent correctly this could be a great idea.

I didn't hear this anywhere, I made it up. I hate the college system, college football should be like college basketball.

The reason it would work in HS, 1a, 2a, 3a and so on all have their own championships, along with DII and what I think they should do.

You take all the money brought in by the "bowl Games" and the state of TN, does kind of a profit sharing thing, with every school (regardless if they are 10-0 or 0-10, gets a cut of the money. This would eliminate schools like Perry County or schools like them not having the funding that lets say, Ezell Harding gets.

And the concessions at these games could pay for most or all or the cost to rent the stadium.

I think that lots of people could make money this way. This way teams could buy new equipment, and make repairs to the field, ect; without taking a bite out of the budget.

There are I think 7 classifications in Tn from 1A-5A, then the D2 teams, all these conferences having at a bunch of games, would produce some serious cash, plus local tv stations might televise it, there are all kinds of dollar signs around this.

Am I wrong>>>

Prior to 1969 Tennessee had a high school bowl system and a mythical state champion.

The playoff system was created to determine a real champion. I think the current system is a little too evolved but don't think we need to go back to the bowl system.

Prior to the expanded playoff system, some bowls survived. the Clinic Bowl was actually merged with the state championship game in the early 80s to save it.

I like the idea of Bowls. I say the current system is broke. Have your top tiered teams play the bigger bowl games, and rotate them from year to year. Have the lower tiered teams play in the smaller bowls. Maybe have a regional playoff for larger split regions. Give the money to the host school. I bet you more people would be involved, especially at the local level to generate excitement for their bowl.