BA vs. MBA

mason1bball

This game matters not. Sure, it's a huge rivalry but take into account that the playoffs start the next week. Neither coach is going to pull out all the stops just to win this game. You always want to win, but this one isn't as important as it could be.

MBA 28

BA 14

Well, I can understand that technically this game means nothing, but football is anything but a technical game. If both teams were 0-9, this game would still mean the WORLD to both teams, and it will this friday despite its lack of playoff significance. My official prediction will come later, but I will say that both teams will be charged with emotion and intensity not because of what this game means to their records, but because of what it means for their pride and status as the finest football team in Tennessee.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who is at all associated with this game knows that there is zero chance of either team saving anything for the playoffs. That is not how either MBA or BA play football, especially not against each other. I think MBA will exploit BA's limited passing attack and force BA to pass in order to win. I'll go ahead and predict MBA by 10 but I gaurantee there is going to be some hitting this friday. Hope all of the MBA boys are ready for this one, its gonna be like no game you have had this year.

I agree with you RedTwin, in the sense that the intensity will be off the charts...but playing this late in the season (for the first time right? don't we normally play them earlier in Oct?), with a likely rematch in a few short weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if BOTH coaches left some playbook in the locker room...

that said, this is a "hide the women and children" type game in terms of intenisty and hitting...

Redtwin and WesVols are right, there will be no holding back by either team in this one. In spite of the intense rivalry between these two teams, there is much mutual respect. Both sides know that the team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

If you don't have a game to attend this Friday, come on out to BA and watch two of the best teams in the state go after it. I guarantee you it will be worth the trip!!

I already posted this on another thread, but were any of you at the first ever BA-MBA game in 1995, in the 5-A semifinals? I promise you, I was at the Titans Super Bowl, the UT Fiesta Bowl, and many great other college football and pro games, and nothing will ever compare to the atmosphere at that game...it was Thanksgiving weekend, Friday night...Ricky vs. Carlton...two best teams in the state slugging it out for the first time with a 5A clinic bowl berth on the line...farthest MBA had ever made it in the state tourney...it was simply as good as football gets...

Boy, it really was a special atmosphere, and a great result (BA won 35-10)! The next year was even better in my opinion, with BA taking a 23-20 OT state quarterfinal decision, scoring on 4th and Goal at the 1 for the win. Those two games set the stage for one of the greatest rivalries in Tennessee.

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that '96 game a 2OT game? I remember MBA tied it late, and to my thinking, should have just gone for 2 right there and the outright win...I guess we kicked a fg in OT and BA scored a td...there was just no way, with hs OT rules (ball on 10) that we were going to keep BA from scoring a td...it was equally charged but suffered from being played Friday before Thanksgiving...both those games were basically like SEC night games as far as I'm concerned...