BA vs. MBA

mason1bball

Neither Coach is going to leave anything on the sidelines, Rutledge will not give

up a National Ranking without a fight and Flatt hates to lose to anyone especially

MBA. Both teams will have to play mistake free football to win the game. BA will

have to play all four quarters in order to win. Rutledge did a nice job of changing

MBA's blocking scheme in the State Championship last year so look for BA to be

better prepared this year. As many have said turnovers or lack there of will be

the key to victory.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already posted this on another thread, but were any of you at the first ever BA-MBA game in 1995, in the 5-A semifinals?  I promise you, I was at the Titans Super Bowl, the UT Fiesta Bowl, and many great other college football and pro games, and nothing will ever compare to the atmosphere at that game...it was Thanksgiving weekend, Friday night...Ricky vs. Carlton...two best teams in the state slugging it out for the first time with a 5A clinic bowl berth on the line...farthest MBA had ever made it in the state tourney...it was simply as good as football gets...

Yeah, I was there...playing in the game. The atmosphere was ridiculous. It was about thirty degrees outside and the place was jammed. It was a close game until the last ten minutes. BA was the better team that year. However, in '96 we were the better team(some say best MBA team ever) and lost in 2OT...still hurts to this day. Not one single penalty called on BA...interesting. But, we had our chances.

My advice to the MBA boys: Stay focused. Do not be distracted.

Final: MBA 35, BA 7

Yeah, I was there...playing in the game. The atmosphere was ridiculous. It was about thirty degrees outside and the place was jammed. It was a close game until the last ten minutes. BA was the better team that year. However, in '96 we were the better team(some say best MBA team ever) and lost in 2OT...still hurts to this day. Not one single penalty called on BA...interesting. But, we had our chances.

My advice to the MBA boys: Stay focused. Do not be distracted.

Final: MBA 35, BA 7

BigRedDog, you guys had fantastic football teams in '95 and '96, but I have misgivings about saying you were better than BA in 1996. The Eagles had 11 Division 1 prospects (Lance Phillips, Austin Kemp, Hunter Atkins, Kurston Biggers, Benjamin Walker, Jason Rowlette, Josh Willoughby, Bo Clift, Tito Lee, David Peden, Jerry Vanderpool) and averaged over 45 points per game. MBA certainly didn't have the talent BA did, and the coaching (Carlton Flatt), leadership (a Senior-driven team; 8 of the prospects were Seniors), and chemistry were second-to-none. Every time Biggers or Tito touched the ball, they were a serious threat to score a TD, especially on a kickoff or punt return. Austin Kemp (TE/LB/DE) was a Parade All-American, and Tito Lee was a top 100 prospect.

MBA was very good, otherwise they wouldn't have stayed with BA. Still, I'd say the Eagles were better.

Edited by WesVols

BigRedDog, you guys had fantastic football teams in '95 and '96, but I have misgivings about saying you were better than BA in 1996. The Eagles had 10 Division 1 prospects (Lance Phillips, Austin Kemp, Hunter Atkins, Kurston Biggers, Benjamin Walker, Jason Rowlette, Josh Willoughby, Bo Clift, Tito Lee, David Peden) and averaged over 45 points per game. MBA certainly didn't have the talent BA did, and the coaching (Carlton Flatt), leadership (a Senior-driven team; 8 of the prospects were Seniors), and chemistry were second-to-none. Every time Biggers or Tito touched the ball, they were a serious threat to score a TD, especially on a kickoff or punt return. Austin Kemp (TE/LB/DE) was a Parade All-American, and Tito Lee was a top 100 prospect

the thing I remember most about the game is how fast it went. It was over in less than 2 hours, even with the 2OT's. Both teams just ran and ran and kept the clock moving...No penalties? Wow. Don't remember that. I would say BA had more talent, as that team was loaded...However, the fact that Ricky B had them on the ropes is a testament to his coaching ability...I think had we gone for two (hmmmm...digging deep here, wasn't Max Fuller qb?) with some sort of roll out, we would have converted and won...

the thing I remember most about the game is how fast it went. It was over in less than 2 hours, even with the 2OT's. Both teams just ran and ran and kept the clock moving...No penalties? Wow. Don't remember that. I would say BA had more talent, as that team was loaded...However, the fact that Ricky B had them on the ropes is a testament to his coaching ability...I think had we gone for two (hmmmm...digging deep here, wasn't Max Fuller qb?) with some sort of roll out, we would have converted and won...

I thought Blake Sloan was the MBA QB, but my memory might be wrong. You're right, Bowers coached a great game for the Big Red...what a legendary battle! MBA could have easily beaten Germantown and Jefferson County, BA's semifinal and championship opponents.